ID:260772

At the moment, we have:
Add (adds one tile), and Fill, which can go in one line, a full square, etc.

What I, and a LOT of other BYOND users think the map editor needs:
A proper line tool that can either go straight or diagonal (think the line tool in Paint), a circle tool (again, think the circle tool in paint, maybe with a no-fill-inside option?), and that's about it.

I brought this up a year ago or so, but I don't think it got much attention.
I've been thinking of making a custom map editor for BYOND (with DM).
The biggest issue is how to import the atom paths.
Only thing I can think of is to have it as a library that you run from the project folder.
Line would look like this: http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7933/93576944.jpg
Doubt you want that type of quality
In response to Falacy
You could make an export list pretty freakin quick...

for(var/A in typesof(/obj))
for(var/B in typesof(/mob))
for(var/C in typesof(/turf))

You could have that send the information to a savefile. (Icons would probably need to be put in there)

Load it up, do what you want.

Then use one of the game map --> dream maker map libs after you're done editing.
In response to AJX
You can place more than those three types on the map though. A datum with a parent_type won't appear in those lists, nor will /area =P
In response to Nadrew
obviously... But if you had a situation like that it wouldnt be hard to add it. Same for areas.

He was saying that importing the type trees was difficult. I was merely providing an example of how it could be done quickly.
In response to AJX
Yes, and to use that method you provided would require the map editor to function as a library. As I already said.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
A datum with a parent_type won't appear in those lists

It would. All the changes parent_type makes are purely cosmetic and have no actual bearing on code execution - it only changes what your paths look like (for better and worse), nothing more. What you speak of would really be an atom, not a datum. Just that that atom would happen to have a shorter path - it's still derived from whatever type you used in parent_type, and so will be returned in the typesof() of that type.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Yes, and to use that method you provided would require the map editor to function as a library. As I already said.

If you felt personable about your code you could separate it.

One little snippit for extracting the icons/type paths from the game, then a 'game' to run the savefile and work as the editor.

If not it'd be better to release the source but meh.
I was going to post something similar to this, but decided to see if it had been suggested before. Is this unreasonable to implement?