ID:260783

When sending a message, pressing Enter is a new line, and not a button to send the message right away.

Shift+Enter should be a new line, Enter should just send the message. Would this be too hard to do?
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
When sending a message, pressing Enter is a new line, and not a button to send the message right away.

Shift+Enter should be a new line, Enter should just send the message. Would this be too hard to do?

I think this would be a bad feature. I am, as with most people, are use to pressing enter to create a new line. NotePad, Word, and so on uses the same thing. It isn't that hard just to press send.
In response to OrdinaryOrangutan
Pager != NotePad, Word, etc.
It's supposed to be similar to IM programs like MSN and AIM, which both use enter to send a message. Not to mention you really shouldn't be needing to use many new lines in the pager...
Just do what the rest of us do, press tab and then enter or space to send the message. Tab focuses the send button.
In response to Nadrew
Tab is like two feet away from the Enter key on my, and most keyboards. I don't use the pager too often, but the lack of such a feature was rather confusing.
In response to OrdinaryOrangutan
OrdinaryOrangutan wrote:
Vic Rattlehead wrote:

I think this would be a bad feature. I am, as with most people, are use to pressing enter to create a new line. NotePad, Word, and so on uses the same thing. It isn't that hard just to press send.

Yea.. I'd have to say I strongly dislike this 'feature'.
In response to AJX
You'd dislike anything I suggest AJX, so that was an irrelevant post. Or, why DOES it have to be enter? Can't Alt work? Or if it has to be a button combo, Alt+Enter?
In response to Vic Rattlehead
Tab+Space and Tab+Enter both work, as I said before.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
You'd dislike anything I suggest AJX, so that was an irrelevant post. Or, why DOES it have to be enter? Can't Alt work? Or if it has to be a button combo, Alt+Enter?

Not true.
If I'm not mistaken you made a suggestion before that I agreed with, but I don't remember what it was.

Anyway~ Just because you make posts that I commonly disagree with does not mean I disagree simply because I hold some grudge against you that makes me automatically disagree with everything you say.

I disagree with this suggestion for a few reasons.
1: You compared the pager with an IM system, saying they are supposed to be similar. They aren't. If they were, the messages wouldn't be handled COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY than an IM.
2: Since pages are more of a wide scope long message situation (rather than a short, quick message like IMs are) it makes more sense that enter be a line break to provide easier creation of longer pages. It would be counterproductive to remove an important functionality here.
I think part of the reason is that I, like many others, often use the Enter button for sending code snippets in the pager.

I think the second that this feature was implemented we would instantly get requests for enter to be put back to linebreak.

R_shn_t
As others have mentioned, this suggestion is just not so good. Enter to submit is pretty bad in any multi-line typing environment - even in true IMs, for that matter, since you brought it up (FYI, I configure my IM client not to send on enter).
It wouldn't be a bad idea to add a quick, convenient shortcut for sending, though (but it isn't really necessary either, since as mentioned, it's easy to use Tab).
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
It's supposed to be similar to IM programs like MSN and AIM, which both use enter to send a message. Not to mention you really shouldn't be needing to use many new lines in the pager...

*cough* No, it isn't. *cough*

To add my two cents.
Back in my day, the pager was only used for annoying STA(sent-to-all) game advertisements every once in a while, though at least they were decent enough to not send walls of text, and include line breaks.

If the pager were supposed to be similar to IM programs, it'd have separate windows(or tabs, but most likely windows) for each conversation.
The only difference between an outgoing and incoming message to/from one person is the "-->" and "<--" at the beginning of them.
In response to Kaioken
No, it is a bad idea when Tab is SO far away from anyother key. Alt+Enter/Shift+Enter, hell, ANYTHING that isn't something backwards like Tab then Enter.
Honestly I'd rather prefer shift+enter to actually send the message.
In response to ANiChowy
That's fine. Both keys are RIGHT next to each other, and I mean that quite literally.
What's wrong with moving your mouse to the "Send" button again?
In response to Megelic
What's wrong with a button combination to do something again?
They should remove Ctrl+K for Compile, we should go into the menu and select it manually.

Infact, why do anything in a faster way?
Nothing, I'm just saying.