In response to Flame Sage
This would encourage people to make thier art for thier games, aswell as get more people drawing on the site, with or without pay(depends on the artist)
In response to Airjoe
If they are free to use there is no issue.
If its not legal they shouldn't be featued. Simple at that imo.
However we do have the occasional retards and jealous people who like to say something is ripped or something is from a certain RPG maker or game maker blah blah and have no proof. There should be a system if a certain game is in question or you want to report it you need to provide proof.
In response to Mr.Professional
Mr.Professional wrote:
However we do have the occasional retards and jealous people who like to say something is ripped or something is from a certain RPG maker or game maker blah blah and have no proof. There should be a system if a certain game is in question or you want to report it you need to provide proof.

I provided proof. Go take a look at the RPG Maker RTP for Christ sakes.

If it's not legal it shouldn't be listed at all, like the anime rips and game ports. That's exactly what those games are that I listed. Games that are using content without permission from the owner.

Just because you can find something on the Internet (free) doesn't mean it's legal.
Flame Sage wrote:
Mr.Professional wrote:

I provided proof. Go take a look at the RPG Maker RTP for Christ sakes.

If it's not legal it shouldn't be listed at all, like the anime rips and game ports. That's exactly what those games are that I listed. Games that are using content without permission from the owner.

Just because you can find something on the Internet (free) doesn't mean it's legal.
I never said you nor did I say anyone in particular. But since you were obviously offended thinking my comment was directed towards you could you be one of them? *Background check time*
I apologize. I assumed that because you were replying to my post, you were directing that comment at me.
Flame Sage wrote:
I apologize. I assumed that because you were replying to my post, you were directing that comment at me.

*GASP* Someone on byond is man enough to admit when there wrong o_o you haz my respect for dat
Either way.
I still would like Tom's stance on this.
Flame Sage wrote:
I still would like Tom's stance on this.

I think if these graphics are in fact illegal, we shouldn't be advertising such games, yes. They should be demoted to the same status as "fangames" (although probably with a different label). In practice, I'm not sure how easy this will be to judge, nor if it is worth the effort, as it means trying to draw a fine line over what is or isn't an original graphic (outside of those games simply lifting sprites as is). From my POV, the primary goal of this process is to introduce some diversity into the listings via original games; culling out unauthorized IP is a pleasant side-effect.

Practically speaking, I'd like to address the obvious violation first and trickle-down from there. We are also working on a feedback system so that it needn't be all or nothing-- what we'll do is contact the hub-owners saying where we have problems, and things they need to address to be compliant.

Also, very few games are still "featured" by staff. Most of the games with banners are simply the popular (by fan count) listed games.
I went and downloaded the RPG Maker software to get the ToS, here it is:
A. Ownership. ENTERBRAIN retains all title, copyright and other proprietary rights in, and ownership of, the Software. Licensee does not acquire any rights, other than those expressly granted in this Agreement.

B. License
ENTERBRAIN grants to Licensee a non-exclusive, non-assignable license to use the Software on only one (1) computer by installing the Software, and Licensee cannot use the Software concurrently by and on multiple computers.

C. Restriction
Licensee shall not reverse engineer, de-compile, or disassemble the Software.
Further, Licensee shall not sell, assign, lease, sublicense, encumber, or otherwise transfer the Software without the written consent of ENTERBRAIN.

D. User registration
Licensee shall promptly sign up and register required information as a user of the Software. Licensor will provide support, via on-line basis and only the scope designated by Licensor, to the Licensee who completed the registration process in accordance with Licensor’s direction. Such support shall be provided on “as-is” basis without any warranty in any manner.

E. Distribution rights
Licensee may, at its sole discretion and its own risk, distribute the game (“Game”) originally created by Licensee by utilizing the Software with the following conditions;
(i) Only Licensee who properly completed the user registration may distribute its own Game;
(ii) The Game that may be distributed by Licensee shall be legally created and shall not infringe third party’s rights, including, but not limited to, privacy, copyright, trademark, and/or any other intellectual property rights. Licensee shall, at its own expense, indemnify, defend and hold ENTERBRAIN harmless against any claim/suit/proceeding brought against ENTERBRAIN arising out of or in connection with the Game on the issue of infringement of any patent, copyright and/or any other intellectual properties of any third party; and
(iii) Licensee shall be fully responsible for the Game, its contents, including, but not limited to, character, story, scenario, plot, map, music, sound, design, name, the Game’s distribution method, and/or any other items created or added by Licensee.
Only the person who completed the user registration and installed the software using their unique key is able to distribute their game. Taking the sprites out of RPG Maker resource files most definitely counts as disassembling the software. So far it looks like anything using RPG Maker graphics is in breech of contract, but just to be sure I sent the company an inquiry about acquiring commercial/non-commercial licenses for the art assets. I don't expect to hear back from them for awhile, if at all.

Also, that Tetris game I made a long time ago was just a programming exercise to see if I could actually make a Tetris game. It turned out better than I expected so I went ahead and released it. I'd consider it a fangame, or at least an unofficial port which is most likely why it isn't featured.
In response to Tom
Are you saying a monopoly game would get players because it has a naruto banner?

In all seriousness and in my opinion, its not worth the effort going through games to and finding if they took such and such from RPGmaker. Leave that to the community. They report it on the forums you look into it. Other then that its not worth the time going through all of the games. Thats just my idea anywa.
That's exactly what I'm doing now though.
I'm reporting those games because they do use RPG Maker RTP Graphics and are in-fact stealing content.

Now, are we going to be suppressing those hubs (making them a similar label to "fangames" and hiding them from the hub listing? I think so.)

This in tern will bring back a lot of pixel artists, I think anyway.
Flame Sage wrote:
That's exactly what I'm doing now though.
I'm reporting those games because they do use RPG Maker RTP Graphics and are in-fact stealing content.

Now, are we going to be suppressing those hubs (making them a similar label to "fangames" and hiding them from the hub listing? I think so.)

This in tern will bring back a lot of pixel artists, I think anyway.

Im not a fan of the tag system to begin with. Maybe its because when you log on the site theres a box with links that look like google link and a search bar. Too me it looks tacky but enough with that.

Hypothetically, it would bring pixel artist back but you have to realize there are other places to rip from and a guarantee you within 4-5 months there will be tons of people using the same turfs from the same new program.
If people want to use Public Domain graphics, feel absolutely free to.
What's the problem with that?
Flame Sage wrote:

Im not talking about programs that ALLOW you to disassmble there software or free2use turfs and etc. Im talking about programs that do not allow you to rip there stuff.
Mr.Professional wrote:
Flame Sage wrote:

Im not talking about programs that ALLOW you to disassmble there software or free2use turfs and etc. Im talking about programs that do not allow you to rip there stuff.

Exactly, so those hubs that I linked to should be hidden from the hub because they use stolen material.
It is important to note that there are hundreds if not thousands of tilesets created in the style of RPG Maker and for that engine but not by the rights holders of RPG Maker itself- if the game owner on BYOND is not using the actualy RTP from RPG Maker, it very well may be fine.
I know o-o i thought we got passed this point already. Im talking about there is more to steal from then RPGmaker.

Edit: joe makes a good point
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
It is important to note that there are hundreds if not thousands of tilesets created in the style of RPG Maker and for that engine but not by the rights holders of RPG Maker itself- if the game owner on BYOND is not using the actualy RTP from RPG Maker, it very well may be fine.

I understand that, but generally those are put out there for RPG Maker usage only. Also, they require that credit be given, and that hardly is the case.
Actually, the graphics in MLAAS are all either poor-quality pixel art or sized down images either taken from public domain sources or actually photographed by Skysaw. The trees you mentioned are digital photos of actual trees imported into BYOND. The grass was done using a generic photoshop filter. Skysaw was pretty careful about making sure the graphics were all legally used.
In response to Nadrew
Ah, ok then, I'll remove it from the list, sorry.
Page: 1 2 3