ID:260977

I know developers hate it when this is asked, but can't we have anything on the flash client? The last blog post about it was almost a year ago now. I'd just like some hope in my little life. :(
El Wookie wrote:
I know developers hate it when this is asked, but can't we have anything on the flash client? The last blog post about it was almost a year ago now. I'd just like some hope in my little life. :(

There's really not much to say. It's just a limited client (map, output box, input, macros, etc) that can run in the browser. There are some issues with sound licenses (flash does everything in mp3), so I've been working on better support for third-party OGG integration, as well as doing what I can with the custom interface (which I suspect will not be in version one). My hope was that we could instantly have existing games on-site with flash, but I think it's going to me more like a bit of tweaking for the developers to make a "flash version". The good news is that most flash games are really just a map/hud setup so I think good things can be done here.

We'll release what we have on-site by the end of the year.

I will do an update post at some point with various things we've been working on. I planned on that last week or this, but one of the projects for better site organization has turned out to be a beast.
In response to Tom
Thanks for the reply, it's nice to see active developers on software.

I still don't fully understand the licensing issues with .mp3 files, who holds the rights to a file extension? Regardless, the format would be a huge relief if it was supported, as Audacity and other codecs that are able of conversion often lose a lot of the sound quality for the same file size.

End of the year sounds very nice, 30th December's my birthday- just saiyan! ;)
In response to Tom
Does that mean sound files such as .midi, .wav. and the modules (.mod, .s3m, .it, .xm) won't work with the Flash client? :(
In response to El Wookie
I think it has more to do with the codec (the thing that makes the mp3 or whatever playable), and encoding (making the file in the first place).
Plus more programs can make oggs because there is no fee to use them.
You have to pay a certain amount to distribute a codec, and if byonds flash app needs to distribute a sound player for use with game sounds, they may need to pay for the rights to distribute it.
This is why they are considering Ogg support because it's royalty free.
really it's all patent nonsense, but this is why Firefox and Google Chrome have ogg and webm support, because otherwise they would have to pay for codec licensing.
I could be totally wrong here, but I'm neither a lawyer or a software developer.