ID:261372

I want my monsters to chace people?but my monsters are stupid they just stand there.
Yes there is a little hint, look up walk_to.
In response to Super16
I've been lookiong at your posts, and I'm seeing a pattern here:

A code, the code, this code, that code. Instead of asking "How?", you're asking "What?" Coding is about language. Think of it this way: if you go to France, you can try to get along in one of two ways.

One, you can try memorizing particular sentences and phrases. ("My name is...", "Where is the bathroom?", "Do you speak English?", and so forth). This will tell you where the bathroom is, but it will not allow you to express an original idea, or even have an actual conversation.

Two, you can learn to speak French. If you need to know where the bathroom is, then you can compose an original sentence that fits the specific situation much better. ("My partner is feeling a little indisposed.", "Is there somewhere we could freshen up?", etc.) More importantly, if you think up a unique, original idea, and you need to explain it to someone, you'll be able to invent your own phrases and sentences to describe this thing that no one's bothered to describe before. Phrase-book devotees will never be able to do this.

If you make it the way you intend to, then the game you're making (despite being based off two existing games) is going to no doubt include things that no one has ever done before, at least in BYOND and DM. Sooner or later, you're going to run out of things to put in that there's already "a code" for. Sooner than that, you're going to find your game's a mishmash of conflicting, incompatible "codes," because instead of learning how to write a code that fits your specific situation, you've been picking up pre-written codes that in some way fit your immedieate needs.

So, do yourself and everyone who will ever play your game a favor... and set it aside. If this is your dream project, you definitely don't want to work on it while you're still learning to code, especially if you haven't actually started learning yet. Now that you don't have the pressure to get this game working, slow down a little and start learning.

Take a problem: how do I get monsters to chase people? Then, think of solutions. Not a solution. Solutions. Read the reference and the guide, read the code in the demos sections to see how other people have handled it, and think of several possible ways this problem could be solved. Do this for other common game problems/techniques. You're now learning to code.

Then, when you resume work on your game, instead of asking us, "What code should I put here?", ask yourself, "How should I write the code that will do this for me?"
In response to Lesbian Assassin
thanks you were a real help :P i am just learning and for me it is easyer to learn through example then to read up on it.My brain just doesnt keep all the info i need in it when i read it.But when i see a code and how it works i can figure it out and change it to fit my needs.

PS: I could never make my dream game on BYOND im using BYOND as a steping tool for C++.So if i ask for help and you dont know how or dont want to why do you even reply to it?
In response to Open Server
im using BYOND as a steping tool for C++.

That's all the more reason to listen to her advice. You can probably make a working game by copying and pasting pieces of code (note that I did not say "codes") together in BYOND, but you could never do that in C++.

-AbyssDragon
Open Server wrote:
So if i ask for help and you dont know how or dont want to why do you even reply to it?

Lexy has been around for a while now, and she has probably done what you are trying to do many times over. She has valuble experience and knowledge that would certainly help you learn how to code in DM, if you read what she writes, and think about what she types. Good advice is the best help you can get sometimes, and I have not seen Lexy give out bad advice yet....

~X
In response to Xooxer
I know i was just geting fustrayed with trying to get a good battle system.sorry for any disrespect.and thanks for all coments.
Open Server wrote:

i am just learning

I'll be the judge of that.

But when i see a code and how it works i can figure it out and change it to fit my needs.

All very well and good if it's true, but I've been watching you since you came here, and I can tell, by the way you present your problems and the way you ask for solutions, simply by the way you speak of coding, that you're not at all in the right mindset. You can look at all the examples you want, but if you're not thinking of the code in the right terms, you'll never learn anything more than how to juggle building blocks.

PS: I could never make my dream game on BYOND im using BYOND as a steping tool for C++.

Then it's even more important that you learn the proper mindset for coding now. When you first start out is when you have the most potential, and when you're the most vulnerable... now is the time when you'll form the habits that will haunt or help you for the rest of your programming life. There's plenty of time to make a battle system later... learn how to code first.

So if i ask for help and you dont know how or dont want to why do you even reply to it?

I most certainly do know how, and if you asked me how, I would tell you how. But again, you do not ask how, you ask what. I don't answer what, precisely because I want to help you. There's no way I can tell you what to put in a way that will actually benefit you.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
I said im sorry took out a little fustration on the M/B that was wrong.Im sorry again :(
In response to Super16
Super16 wrote:
Yes there is a little hint, look up walk_to.

You can override the monster's New() proc so that it spawns a process that checks for players in view(monster, 5) every second or so.

Check out the A Step BYOND tutorial. It has lots of stuff that's directly relevant to what you want to do.