ID:261417

i type in the name of a song to be played and it system song dosen't exsist. And can byond play mp3. if not then how can i make byond play an mp3. please help
BYOND doesn't support mp3 right now...
The best you can do is wait until Dantom figures out what to do about that.
In response to Foomer
Yes I have been constantly nagging them about IT/XM/S3M/MOD support, although I don't like MP3 format that much. But for now just sit back and use crappy sounding midis ;)
In response to Dreq
it better not be a full song mp3 because no one is going to want to wait forever to download your game because of that one song
In response to Netshark010101
If tons of people are willing to download a 600 meg Demo of Baldur's Gate II (I saw that on a demo site with tons of hits), then I wouldn't be surprised if people'd be willing to download 5-10 megs worth to play a top quality game with mp3 support.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
If tons of people are willing to download a 600 meg Demo of Baldur's Gate II (I saw that on a demo site with tons of hits), then I wouldn't be surprised if people'd be willing to download 5-10 megs worth to play a top quality game with mp3 support.

How many of those people were on dialup?

*remembers X-Wing midi with bliss*
In response to Dreq
Actually there is a way to have an mp3 play
but you have to have it done through the browser
and you must know HTML
for now thats the only way so have fun trying ok

~Richter
In response to Foomer
600 megs is nothing. I downloaded the 3-CD Linux Mandrake 8.1 set on a dialup, that's 2 1/2 CDs slap full. Besides, they should just go out and buy the freaking game (BG2), it's great :D
In response to ACWraith
Probably none of them, but how many online games are suited for 56k anyway?
In response to Foomer
Starcraft, Command and Conquer, BG2, Icewind Dale, BYOND games, Odyssey Online Classic, Darkstone, Tanarus, Infantry, 10six, the list goes ON AND ON...
In response to Dreq
Dreq wrote:
Yes I have been constantly nagging them about IT/XM/S3M/MOD support, although I don't like MP3 format that much. But for now just sit back and use crappy sounding midis ;)

Your right in a way but where the bold text is your kind of wrong.

Midi's dont sound crappy, well, they do on some computers but on others they dont. This is because of the soundcard that is used on a particular system. Some soundcards have great sounding Midi's, whereas other soundcards make the Midi files sound like crap.

Lee
In response to Mellifluous
You see? that's the whole point. Midis sound great on one computer, like shit on another. As a composer, this is horrible. while I hear a beautiful flute playing, someone else hears a shaky square wave... I can't wait until they support real formats.

Edit:
Besides, I'm listning to an XM I did right now, and it sounds much better than my YamahaXG100 synth.
In response to Dreq
Dreq wrote:
You see? that's the whole point. Midis sound great on one computer, like shit on another.

Watch your language.

I can't wait until they support real formats.

Midi and wav are real formats, you're just too thick headed to see that. Why don't you use the browser to play your music?
In response to Nadrew
Maby your just ignorant... Obviously MID is a 'real' format, but it has almost no value is today's games. Sure it was nice back when computers had 80 megs of HD space total, but computers now have 100+gigs, 1.5+ghz processors, and internet connections 56k or higher. Midi is no longer a format that is standard. No matter how much they try, 255 instruments aren't going to satisfy everyone. And I've yet to see a midi that can do a main-loop where it only plays the intro once. Besides, module formats can allow people to do dynamic music. And I didn't say a thing about WAV. WAV has a purpose. It's not compressed/encoded like MP3 is, which allows extreamly short playback and little processing power to play. But back to midi, can you emagine if BG2's soundtrack was midi? I shutter at the though ;)