ID:265096

I think the important thing to remember is that BYOND's e-commerce model (the theoretical basis for its profitability) is based around the idea that people will make games that are worth paying for to play.

If we open source games, yes it is possible that this will enable people to make higher quality games, faster. It's definitely possible.

At the same time, though, it's inevitable that if people can freely download the source code for any game, there will be no incentive to pay for anything. The nascent BYOND economy would be gone overnight, never to return.

The thing that concerns me the most, though, would be the homogenization of games. No, I *don't* want you to know how I achieved a given effect in one of my games. Why? Because I'm selfish? No... because I don't want this one technique to become known as "the way" to do it. I don't want to see 270 games with "the [whatever] code"... I would rather see 27 games, each with a unique solution to a problem that is to some extent unique to that game.

Looking at other games' workings teaches "codes." It doesn't teach you "how to code."
Lesbian Assassin wrote:

Looking at other games' workings teaches "codes." It doesn't teach you "how to code."

I think this varies based on who is doing the looking. I've learned quite a bit about coding by looking through some of the libraries and other available source code. However, I do agree that releasing vast amounts of complete or near complete game source would be a bad idea... (see DBZ GT, or whichever one it is that has 400 copies on the hub)