ID:265097

welllll A CRAP load of people complain about having to restart over and over again everytime they join, when they had a really buff town before the server crashed...

Should I add a save ability? I mean in a strategy game sorta like civ3, but online only based is it necessary or should I just gag the whiners?
I only have one saving scheme that might work for something like that. Although I don't know the technical aspect of how your game work. You basically make one savefile, give every single thing that's not a turf in a game an sX, sY, and sZ variable, then at savetime, you copy their current coords to the s coords and copy each and every thing into a new list. Then you stuff that list into the savefile. (Make sure it doesn't save turfs though).

Then at load time, clear everthing but turfs off the map and load up that save, move everything from that list onto the map, changing their coords to their s coords values so they'll get their intial positions back.

You might have some trouble with this for some things though, so you'll have to tamper with it here and there to get things working right.

That's just my solution :oP
In response to Foomer
Use my library thing. I didn't add saving location but thats simple just do this.

In the client/proc/Save()

put

F<<src.mob.x
F<<src.mob.y
F<<src.mob.z

and for Load()

F>>src.mob.x
F>>src.mob.y
F>>src.mob.z

O yea the url is

http://www.byond.com/hub/super16/charsavelogin
Guys...he's not asking what KIND of save system he should add... He's asking IF he should add one in the first place...

Anyways...I haven't played the game yet...but there's a simple answer to this...

If there's some sort of game-winning goal that can be accomplished in a single game sitting (like a board game...you play it until there is a winner)...then saving isn't necessary...

However...if the main point is simply to build up your strength and be able to dominate the other players in an ongoing RPG style struggle for power...then it is highly necessary to save the game...

It all depends on what type of overall goal the game has... How do you win it? That dictates whether a game needs to be saved or not...
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
Naturally, by suggesting saving systems, people are saying YES!
In response to Foomer
Agreed... But it's better to just answer his question directly and if he asks for suggestions on the HOW later...then give him those types of suggestions...
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
Phphphtt! Says you :oP
In response to Super16
lol I guess I could try a saving system for a little while I guess it couldn't hurt...
and everyone begs me for it and says no saving system is the downfall of the game so so be it....

I'm going to increase the cost of everything then though...
and when your really 3 day high lvl town is destroyed by anohter play don't come whining to me...
In response to Super16
wow actually this works almost perfectly thanks, except for one problem... for some reason when I specify where to locate the mobs it's not locating them...

[edit]
nm I fixed it :)
In response to Jon Snow
errr....
another bug has been spotted!!!

Why is it doing this...

I changed a few things in the save so that it would go to my mob/create_character/procMenuNewChar

and by doing that it goes through a few lines of code then creates a
mob/firemonsters/TownB

which is a town builder..

then when I click build town

I have it delete the town builder create a town
which you name it

and I have things such as

character.maxpop=rand(3000,4300)

character is the town
for instance

but when I look at my maxpop it says 0

why is it doing this?