ID:265102

Has anyone considered making sort of... a backbone of a game. Yes the Libraries do all this but I"m not saying for beginners.
This is totally different what I'm saying... and I Know a crap load of you are going to spam me for this but...

What if people just created the backbone for oh... a Zelda game for instance, like didn't make any of the maps, etc but coded what was needed and put in a bunch of their own drawn zelda icons for people to play with/and or add to... and left the basic zelda for SNES monster HP etc to normal.
and left the code free for all.

Sorta like a map editor, you get what I'm saying???

I don't mean the icons have to be ripped but more like you looked at the zelda games not just the SNES version and tried to draw them yourself just for a basic type for people to work with...

I don't know about this I didn't give this all that much thought I just thought it might help get the dbz games out of the way if people sorta had an already made version of many different games to play with... and sorta make their own version the way they always wanted Zelda to be like.

There's probably not one person in here that didn't want to change things in Final Fantasy, etc :P

and probably there's about 30 people on byond either thinking or actually making a FF game but it's taking them forever because of all the icons and code put together, etc...
When they're all trying to do the same thing, recreate the game then reshape it to their liking.

Just food for thought :)
I'm kinda working on a program to generate start-up code, it's like a wizard...

Hopefully this pic links right!
Sorta like a map editor, you get what I'm saying???

This is a good idea... there was a lot of discussion about it a while ago (maybe a year ago or more). Eventually it may even be possible to use the Dream Maker map editor without having to reveal the source code to the map designers. But if you don't mind exposing your code to the public, there's no need to wait!
In response to Gughunter
You don't need to reveal all of your source code to allow people to make maps for your project, just the object tree (you'll probably want to include such things as icons, layers, etc.)

turf
grass
icon='grass.dmi'
water
icon='water.dmi'
obj
sword
icon='sword.dmi'
mob
monster
icon='tom.dmi'

And the map maker never has to know how the game works, but /he can make all sorts of maps. Instance-editting and such is out, but I don't think you'd really want that in this case.

-AbyssDragon
In response to Goten84
....WOW......
(salivating) What does it do? (wipes hanging slobber off of chin)
In response to AbyssDragon
You don't need to reveal all of your source code to allow people to make maps for your project, just the object tree (you'll probably want to include such things as icons, layers, etc.)

Really? I thought the map had to be compiled into the project -- wouldn't that require the source code?
In response to Ter13
It's a code generator, just to get you started in BYOND coding. IT'S NOT AN ALTERNATE COMPILER OR TEXT EDITOR! I'm trying to encourage people to use BYOND by giving them a good start, not replace BYOND. ;) Also, it has a window that supports 3D graphics to make the interface more appealing. =)
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:

Really? I thought the map had to be compiled into the project -- wouldn't that require the source code?

Yes (as far as I know). So people wouldn't be able to create their own maps and include them on their own without the source code, but given a skeleton object tree like AbyssDragon described they could make maps, send them to the project's owner, and have them compiled in. Probably better-suited for semi-official or official mapmaker positions on a project team than for setting up open map editing a la most of your first person shooters.
Jon Snow wrote:
Has anyone considered making sort of... a backbone of a game. Yes the Libraries do all this but I"m not saying for beginners.
This is totally different what I'm saying... and I Know a crap load of you are going to spam me for this but...

What if people just created the backbone for oh... a Zelda game for instance,

I was beginning to think somebody had done this with DBZ, with all those games out there!