ID:265104

Well basically you have it so it takes you to a combat screen( BUt you don't need to) ANd it's turn-based BUT the turn based is much different...

FOr instance

you get 5 command points each round, going N would take 1 point, moving south would take 1 point, etc, but then casting a spell like inferno would take 2 but be s very powerful attack.

The thing with this is, both sides use their 5 command points, then when both sides have done that THEN the combat begins.

This is how it would work
one guy put north, north, north, north, north

as what he wanted to do for that round while the other guy put

fireball,fireball,fireball,fireball,fireball

some spells could be directly auto hit, like curses and such and maybe a paralyze spell...

but anyways how this works is

the first guy moved left and the other guy casted fireball at the same time so the first guy dodged the fireball, and so on.

So movement could be basically used to try to dodge whatever attack the other guy is going to make.

BUT you could also make it so there's a percentage it would hit!!
Then again you can always have them pick the spot they are aiming for!!
Well? What you guys think? :)
Jon Snow wrote:
the first guy moved left and the other guy casted fireball at the same time so the first guy dodged the fireball, and so on.

So movement could be basically used to try to dodge whatever attack the other guy is going to make.

BUT you could also make it so there's a percentage it would hit!!
Then again you can always have them pick the spot they are aiming for!!
Well? What you guys think? :)

I'm doing that already in my CTE (Close combat Tactical Engine). Since I'm using weapons with a fast bullet speed (unlike the slow fireballs :), dodging is done by calculating speed and aiming of characters, not just by-turf calculations. As always, balancing is the hardest part.

Have you seen Combat Mission? (http://www.battlefront.com/products/worldwar/cm/) it does what you said as well. You decide what to do, and then the game replays one minute of action where you can only sit and watch and hope that your orders were clever enough. Quite exciting.

/Andreas
In response to Gazoot
Gazoot wrote:
I'm doing that already in my CTE (Close combat Tactical Engine). Since I'm using weapons with a fast bullet speed (unlike the slow fireballs :), dodging is done by calculating speed and aiming of characters, not just by-turf calculations. As always, balancing is the hardest part.

You still need to send me the new version of that when I get my computer back from the shop.
In response to Gazoot
That sounds like a little Maxis game called Robosport (which most people have never heard of) where you program eight robots to go out and do stuff, then the other person programs their eight robots, and you both watch what happens. :o)
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
That sounds like a little Maxis game called Robosport (which most people have never heard of) where you program eight robots to go out and do stuff, then the other person programs their eight robots, and you both watch what happens. :o)

Ooh! I've heard of that. Never actually seen it, but saw an ad for it in the Maxis catalogue when I got good ol' SimCity 2000 (for Christmas, the year it came out).

I had no idea it had bot programming in it, though... I'm suddenly intrigued.
In response to Spuzzum
I had no idea it had bot programming in it, though... I'm suddenly intrigued.

Yes, it's interesting, although I don't remember the details. Most of what I recall, you can tell your bots to move to certain locations at certain times, scan in certain direction, set their heigh which effects view and evasion. There are also five different types of bots, sniper bots, bots with pulse-guns, bots with auto-guns, bots with missiles (fun!) and stealth bots. Most of what I recall, the goal was either to destroy the enemy bots, or to capture their flag. Up to 4 players, play against the computer if you like, make your own teams with custom sets of bots, etc...

Of course, the game was always kinda spoiled when you had one of those rooms with 9 squares, the flag at the back, with the eight bots crouched down (better evasion) and aiming at the entrence, instructed to fire on anything that moves.

It's only 16 colors, but it's hilarious to watch the movie it generates, and you even get to listen to the sound effects while its generating so you know exactly how much carnage is happening, even if you can't quite see it yet :o)

There are quite a few different maps too, suburbs, computer, ruins, etc...

If you can get it working, I think you can download it at the underdogs.com (not sure the actual address, look it up on the search engine if you care).
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
You still need to send me the new version of that when I get my computer back from the shop.

I'll set my auto-upload to 2004, then. ;)

/Andreas
In response to Gazoot
I'll be getting it back today, you'll get all the details about the condition it was in.