ID:265108

I was just playing a bunch of different games on byond that require you to wait for your opponent to attack, etc...
I'm wondering if this is a bad idea...

I mean byond doesn't go quite fast enough for people to beable to play at a fun speed with this type of game atleast in my opinion... It gets boring waiting to attack especially when you're just trying to level over and over... That in itself is boring enough without the need to wait 10seconds for your next attack...
Each game has its own play speed, some games play slow, some games play fast. If you want a fast game, play a fast game. If you want a slow game, play a slow game. It doesn't really matter as far as game design goes, unless your game is designed to be fast but forces you to go slow at one point, or is designed to go slow but forces you to go fast at one point!
In response to Foomer
true but I'm speaking in turn-based type games...

with the connection speeds of say 33.6-56k people they don't go all that fast, or with a 56k host....
In response to Jon Snow
Jon Snow wrote:
true but I'm speaking in turn-based type games...

with the connection speeds of say 33.6-56k people they don't go all that fast, or with a 56k host....

I don't understand why you think this is a BYOND problem. You stated you don't think BYOND is fast enough, but if Joe Snail is sitting in front of a 3GHz Machine with a dedicated T1 playing tic-tac-toe with the most optimized machine code, it will take him exactly the same 3 minutes to decide to take the center square that it would if he were scratching his X in the sand with a stick.

In a turn based game, the waiting is most often due to your opponant, not due to network speed.
In response to Shadowdarke
Yep, one of the virtues of turn based games is that lag is usually not a factor. You can be on a 28k modem and you'll be on virtually equal footing with someone who has a setup that Shadowstarke described.
Jon Snow wrote:
I was just playing a bunch of different games on byond that require you to wait for your opponent to attack, etc...

I mean byond doesn't go quite fast enough for people to beable to play at a fun speed with this type of game atleast in my opinion... It gets boring waiting to attack especially when you're just trying to level over and over... That in itself is boring enough without the need to wait 10seconds for your next attack...

Turn-based is probably just not your cup of tea. There are those who love that sort of thing.

That being said, there are ways coders can help move things along. A turn timer would certainly help... let the player lose his turn if he takes too long.
Jon Snow wrote:

I don't see the logic here. If BYOND is too slow for a turn-based game, then it would be much worse for a real-time game without turns.

Obviously the real issue is how turn-based games are constructed.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
lol true I'm sorry last night I wasn't thinking very straight ( I worked out yesterday and then went to work, and I have a labor job)...

I'm not all that bright when I've been doing alot of physical work like I've said a million times before...

Lets see if I can explain it better this time around...

When I say byond is too slow for take-turn type games I mean t really that alot of people's connection speeds are too slow (i'm just saying from some of hte games I've tried I noticed some of the windows took awhile to pop up and such...)
which could be a resault of bad coding...

I'm sure if you had a good coder working it out it wouldn't be such a problem...

I forget what game I was trying that really just put me to sleep...
I think it was final fantasy online...

I was just trying it out (There were sooo many people playing it oddly enough)
and the combat seemed sooo slow that I wouldn't want to ever try to level because it w ould take too much bloody time : )
of course that's just because of the type of game, and the coding...

But still I'm just using it as an example, byond can make afast paced turn-based game but the simplest route is going to the road most often taken, which is what most people will do...
In response to Jon Snow
Jon Snow wrote:
Lets see if I can explain it better this time around...

When I say byond is too slow for take-turn type games I mean t really that alot of people's connection speeds are too slow (i'm just saying from some of hte games I've tried I noticed some of the windows took awhile to pop up and such...)
which could be a resault of bad coding...

That seems to be saying the same thing. Network lag shouldn't cause those kinds of huge problems in a turn-based game because the game's pace is dictated almost entirely by players making decisions. In an action game, lag is a much bigger deal.

I'm sure if you had a good coder working it out it wouldn't be such a problem...

I forget what game I was trying that really just put me to sleep...
I think it was final fantasy online...

I was just trying it out (There were sooo many people playing it oddly enough)
and the combat seemed sooo slow that I wouldn't want to ever try to level because it w ould take too much bloody time : )
of course that's just because of the type of game, and the coding...

Yes, a good fast battle system would be important.

But still I'm just using it as an example, byond can make afast paced turn-based game but the simplest route is going to the road most often taken, which is what most people will do...

There are many kinds of turn-based games, but the fact is that most of them do take some time between turns for good reasons. Some card games, for example, may proceed quite fast while others are slow.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
There are many kinds of turn-based games, but the fact is that most of them do take some time between turns for good reasons. Some card games, for example, may proceed quite fast while others are slow.

There are even real-time card games...Cheapass Games has two popular ones, called Falling and Brawl.
In response to English
Thats true, and some games might take a while to prevent you from leveling up too fast(IE: all the DBZ games that let you level up by punching Punching Bags, which ofcourse and be macroed) I havent played FFO lately, so I wouldnt know if the Battle system is slow or not.
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:

There are even real-time card games...Cheapass Games has two popular ones, called Falling and Brawl.

There's a fun real-time card game that I know as "Speed", where you have to play either a higher or lower card on top of the pile -- however, naturally, your opponent is trying to do the same thing, and there are no turns -- you're both playing by reflex and speed, you can go twice in a row if you darned well please, so long as you're first to do it.

If you can't go, you draw a card. You keep doing this -- and the first person to run out of cards wins.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
There's a fun real-time card game that I know as "Speed", where you have to play either a higher or lower card on top of the pile -- however, naturally, your opponent is trying to do the same thing, and there are no turns -- you're both playing by reflex and speed, you can go twice in a row if you darned well please, so long as you're first to do it.

If you can't go, you draw a card. You keep doing this -- and the first person to run out of cards wins.

If you draw a joker, does the bus blow up?

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR

No. That's what happens when you draw the card with the copyright info on it.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:

No. That's what happens when you draw the card with the copyright info on it.

Pop quiz, hot shot: There are 54 cards in the deck but you just shuffled in 55. What do you do?

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Pop quiz, hot shot: There are 54 cards in the deck but you just shuffled in 55. What do you do?

Absolutely nothing. It makes the game have character. =)
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:

Also one of the most fun card games ever -- and real-time -- is "Spoons": you put a spoon on the table in front of each player and deal out hands, then one person starts drawing cards from the deck, evaluating them for use, and passing on the cards they don't want. I believe you try to fill your hand just like in Gin.

When you have a complete hand, you secretly remove your spoon from the table. Once someone has removed a spoon, anyone else is free to. Last one with a spoon loses the hand.

This is amazingly fun...no matter how hard you try to keep your eyes on the spoons, you get distracted by dealing with your hand...and sometimes when you are the loser, your compadres will be content to let the game go on for 5 minutes, while you sit there being the fool...

Hmm, this could be a BYOND game!
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
Spuzzum wrote:

Also one of the most fun card games ever -- and real-time -- is "Spoons": you put a spoon on the table in front of each player and deal out hands, then one person starts drawing cards from the deck, evaluating them for use, and passing on the cards they don't want. I believe you try to fill your hand just like in Gin.

When you have a complete hand, you secretly remove your spoon from the table. Once someone has removed a spoon, anyone else is free to. Last one with a spoon loses the hand.

This is amazingly fun...no matter how hard you try to keep your eyes on the spoons, you get distracted by dealing with your hand...and sometimes when you are the loser, your compadres will be content to let the game go on for 5 minutes, while you sit there being the fool...

Hmm, this could be a BYOND game!

It absolutely could!! Someone get on this right away!

It sounds like you have a dodgey variation going on there, though... you're supposed to have a number of spoons equal to the number of players minus one. Sort of like musical chairs. That way you really know who was last... it's the guy with no spoon!
In response to Skysaw
Skysaw wrote:
That way you really know who was last... it's the guy with no spoon!

And now we're back on Keanu Reeves again. There is no spoon.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Skysaw wrote:
That way you really know who was last... it's the guy with no spoon!

And now we're back on Keanu Reeves again. There is no spoon.

Lummox JR'

I suppose that's better than: "There is no try; only do."
Page: 1 2