ID:265114

I remember someone was saying they were creating a demo/tutorial of this... I was just wondering if they're close to finishing it? I could really use something like this... I tried a few ways but it all seems really... resource consuming...
yes, but I think I have tried a game of kings, the three maps arent very big but I would still say it would take 10-20 mins to save it. I'm only guessing.
Darkness has.... but its not out yet. But Super16 has one.
In response to JordanUl
How big is the map?
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
How big is the map?

Well with in 3 months I am making a Map Maker Deluxe demo which will includ this feture but I dont think U want to wait 3 months for it.
In response to Foomer
Cant remember, played it a while ago. not too big.
In response to Green Lime
I have 4 maps all 200x200...

SO map saving would be out of the picture?
In response to Jon Snow
Super16 had a map saving demo
In response to Jon Snow
Jon Snow wrote:
I have 4 maps all 200x200...

SO map saving would be out of the picture?

well.. here is the problem. You shound be ok with the saving part but the major problem will be with the loading of the map. it takes at least 5 or more minutes to load 200*200*4 map. (I forget the exact time from my tests) it might be a bit less with the new savfile system but not much. however if you are only going to save objs you shound be fine.
In response to Darkness
I'm just saving mobs... maybe specify only towns?
In response to Jon Snow
Actually what aspects of the map do you want to save? Creating Save Zones might help cut down on un-needed save space and time.

LJR
In response to LordJR
really all I want to save is people's towns... it would be nice to beable to save their mobs too but I doubt that'll beable to happen...
In response to Jon Snow
Actually, the main problem here is that saving every turf in a 200x200x4 world would take a very long time. Saving certain turfs and certain mobs (or better, certain objs and certain mobs), however, would be considerably speedier.
In response to Leftley
Leftley wrote:
Actually, the main problem here is that saving every turf in a 200x200x4 world would take a very long time. Saving certain turfs and certain mobs (or better, certain objs and certain mobs), however, would be considerably speedier.

To further the concept, if most of your world were bare, or used a default turf, you would not need to save that turf at all. All you would need to do is save the turfs that deviate from the norm, which could save a lot of time and file space.
In response to Jon Snow
Depends how many variables you want saved. I've managed to save one variable for each turf on a 100x100x1 map in about 5 seconds. One variable on your map "might" be about 40 seconds. I don't know if most of the lag comes from saving or adding to the list, so there could be faster ways to do it.
In response to Jon Snow
Oh, that's easy then. Just make a list and give each mob/obj saved_x/y/z variables. When you go to save, set each mob and obj's saved_x/y/z variables to their location's x/y/z variables. Then add them to the list, save the list, and you've just saved everything.

To load, delete any pre-existing mob/objs, load the list, and move everything in the list to their saved_x/y/z variables.
In response to Skysaw
Whick I think mostly is.