ID:265124

I'm currently making documentation files for an online roleplaying game. This is intended to actually be a roleplaying game, not a tile-based endless combat/stat building game, and I'm trying to make the rules reflect this. I would appreciate a little feedback, particularly from other people who are making or hosting roleplaying games.

1. This is a role-playing game. Keep all speech and behavior inside the game 'in character.' If you're not sure what this means, look at the roleplaying help.
  2. Insults and language derogatory to a given social group or race are fine... welcomed, even... as long as we're talking about a group or race in the game. You know, "Dirty Rat!", or "Mangy Fox!" Bringing up epithets that have no bearing on a world full of intelligent animals will get you kicked or banned. Oh, and case anyone is confused, gays are a group of people.
  3. Obscenities are not welcome. If you want to swear or use colorful language, be creative. Swear by the rocks. Swear by the trees. Swear by the hair on your chinny-chin-chin. Taking the name or title of a deity in vain is considered acting out of character... I don't remember putting any religion in this game.
  4. Respect the boundaries of the game world. Threatening other players with a hack attack or banning them from your own games if they don't do what you want will get you banned. This is a one warning rule. I have no tolerance for cheaters. I don't care if they attacked you or took your stuff... they're playing the game and acting in character. You're not.
  5. Respect the channels of communication. 'OOC' is for out-of-character chatting, all other communication commands are for in-character. People who use the 'OOC' command to discuss game matters may have that command taken away. People who constantly break character in the other channels will be warned. Those who continue will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Aside from having clearly posted and stated rules, all new characters will be subject to a temporary probationary status during which they cannot attack or be attacked. Combat isn't a huge part of the game anyway, but I find that a lot of people, when first logging into a game, will attack anything they're able to attack because they assume that's the point.
Lesbian Assassin wrote:
I'm currently making documentation files for an online roleplaying game. This is intended to actually be a roleplaying game, not a tile-based endless combat/stat building game, and I'm trying to make the rules reflect this. I would appreciate a little feedback, particularly from other people who are making or hosting roleplaying games.

I'm building FoomerMUD, which is only a temporary game. It's a roleplaying game set in a prehistoric world where your become a member of the primitive society and you need to help the whole village survive in the harsh world. That's not as hard as it sounds though, there's still room to have fun.

1. This is a role-playing game. Keep all speech and behavior inside the game 'in character.' If you're not sure what this means, look at the roleplaying help.

My rules regarding that are that as far as the game goes, there is no such thing as a player. Only characters that interact with each other. If you talk about players, you're pushing for getting banned. Players don't exist, and should never be discussed. Things existing outside the game should never be discussed in the game. Things existing in the game should never be discussed outside the game.

>
  2. Insults and language derogatory to a given social group or race are fine... welcomed, even... as long as we're talking about a group or race in the game. You know, "Dirty Rat!", or "Mangy Fox!" Bringing up epithets that have no bearing on a world full of intelligent animals will get you kicked or banned. Oh, and case anyone is confused, gays are a group of people.

Part of the rule above is that discussing anything outside of the game is a big fat no-no. Insulting Canada or whatever is something outside the game. They could be banned for that, or at least have that character mysteriously struck by lightning (even if he's inside his hut).

>
  3. Obscenities are not welcome. If you want to swear or use colorful language, be creative. Swear by the rocks. Swear by the trees. Swear by the hair on your chinny-chin-chin. Taking the name or title of a deity in vain is considered acting out of character... I don't remember putting any religion in this game.

Prehistoric people don't know what obscenities are. Discussing them would be discussing something that belongs outside of the game. Nothing wrong with making up new words to describe stuff, like calling someone 'you miserable piece of lizard dung' would be just fine.

All names need to fit the "theme" of the game. A character named "Neo" wouldn't fit, nor would one named "Lord Zarg". Instructions for naming will be provided. But remember, my game is a play-by-request game. If I don't like your character, I don't have to accept it. If you want to get in, better create the character by my rules.

>
  4. Respect the boundaries of the game world. Threatening other players with a hack attack or banning them from your own games if they don't do what you want will get you banned. This is a one warning rule. I have no tolerance for cheaters. I don't care if they attacked you or took your stuff... they're playing the game and acting in character. You're not.

As I said several times already, discussing anything outside of the game is a bannable offense. Mentioning a "player" is also bannable. The combination is very bannable. On the other hand, if you cheat in my game, you'd better roleplay it pretty darn well or you're going to get deleted.

>
  5. Respect the channels of communication. 'OOC' is for out-of-character chatting, all other communication commands are for in-character. People who use the 'OOC' command to discuss game matters may have that command taken away. People who constantly break character in the other channels will be warned. Those who continue will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

I don't have any channels for communications ;o) If you want to talk to someone, use the say command. If you want to shout at someone, use the shout command. Global communications don't fit a roleplay environment in my opinion, so I refuse to have them. If you want to talk to someone, do it OOC through the pager or IM. OOC is only for discussing technical difficulties that need to be mentioned to explain character actions. "Sorry, got disconnected" is an acceptable OOC message. "Hey guys, I got a new computer!" is not. Disruption of the roleplay environment for any unnecessary reason can get you deleted or banned.

>

Aside from having clearly posted and stated rules, all new characters will be subject to a temporary probationary status during which they cannot attack or be attacked. Combat isn't a huge part of the game anyway, but I find that a lot of people, when first logging into a game, will attack anything they're able to attack because they assume that's the point.

In my game, all new characters are sent to a tiny "newbie island" where they can learn how to do things and speak however they want to other players, but practicing roleplay is encouraged. They can never leave the island unless they are approved by the administrators (me) to be in the actual game, which means they must have a proper character with proper information filled out. Characters that are disapproved who are on "newbie island" get deleted to save bandwidth.

PKing in FoomerMUD isn't going to happen. There will be creatures to kill for hunting purposes who can also kill you if you're not careful, but I don't want to see players killing each other in my MUD. It might be primitive, but they're supposed to be getting along.

My MUD might be a bit strict, and I wouldn't expect a large player base at all considering the quality of the players at BYOND. But then, since FoomerMUD will be telnet compatable with hosting, it'll be advertised on Mudconnector.com if things go well. And so what if I have a small player base. At least they'll be the kind of players I want. And anyone can get in, they just have to follow the rules.
In response to Foomer
When I say channels of communication, I mean two channels: the OOC channel and everything else (say, shout, whisper, thump, etc.). The OOC channel will be used mainly during early testing. As far as PKing goes, right now it's impossible. You can knock somebody down and/or out and take their stuff, but that's it.

I have my naming rules listed separately from behavioral... I have a lot of rules, so I keep them compartmentalized.
<H3>What's In A Name?</H3>

Quite a lot, actually. Your name is what identifies you, tells people who you are. Of course, this is a role-playing game, so it's not exactly you that we're talking about, rather, it's your character. Your character may or may not have the same name as the one you usually use online, may or may not be anything like you. You may only use your main screen name if it conforms to the following guidelines:

1. No numbers or symbols that are inappropriate... inappropriate symbols definitely includes HTML. The name must be spelled as it is intended to be pronounced (i.e., no 733tspeak). Capitalize correctly. Spaces are allowed, but must be used appropriately. "M a t t h e w" is not appropriate. Neither is "SavageRachel". Space between every word, nowhere else.
  2. The name must be at least vaguely appropriate for a European medieval world. This rules out Japanese/anime names, any name referencing current technology ("Cybersquirrel","Roboshrew"), etc.
  3. The name must either be a common name or an original one... for instance, the name "Tess" is fine because it's common. "Tess Churchmouse," the name of a character from the Brian Jacques's Redwall series, is not common. A made-up name like "Tessarina Treejumper" would work. When in doubt, go ahead and use the name, as long as you're using it a context where you're clearly creating an original character, not recreating someone from a book or movie.
  4. Titles are fine, as long as they're appropriate to the world. Sir or Dame, Lord or Lady, Doctor, Captain, etc., all work. *>[GRAND MASTER SAGE PHOENIX]<* doesn't.

Descriptive names are fine... if you just want to call your Badger "Treecrusher" or your Squirrel "Roofscamper", that's okay. Just don't forget that descriptive names must comply with the rules above. No "Roofjumper2.0".
In response to Lesbian Assassin
No "Roofjumper2.0".

But all the earlier versions had that bug where it would ocassionally hit a skylight and crash.
In response to Leftley
That's not a bug, it's a feature. Skylight Auto-Targetting.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Woah woah, we've gone from MUD rules to Microsoft Logic!

By the way, I like your rules Lesbian Assasin :-)

I think it's good that people restrict names ( As much as possible ), because I get sick of running around with COOLGUY485757572794894838 on some MUDs....

by the way, it's 1337 or l33t or 31337 or el33t speak. Don't insult us hacker types! :-P
In response to ShadowWolf
NO, it's |337. It's supposed to look like "bet" to the unsuspecting, so only |337 |-|@x0r types know the real meaning.
ShadowWolf wrote:
by the way, it's 1337 or l33t or 31337 or el33t speak. Don't insult us hacker types! :-P

I find it ironic that you are discussing proper form of a cypher that was created essentially to rebel against proper form.
In response to Foomer
LOL, actually and oddly I never saw it used like |337 until I joined games ran by hackers. The kiddies picked up the "l33t sp34k" and mutilated it :-(

Anyways, the hacker dialect was mainly created so that people would have to be elite to understand us Such as using loot for root user and leet or l33t for elite. Also, boxor for computer :-) Like all similar dialects, it lost it's purpose and point long ago.

Such as:
I r0x0r j00r b0x0rz!
generally means I'm going to hack your computer(s)...

There, now you got a little hacker grammar lesson :p
Okay, but the type that mutilates your verbage in FoomerMUD is still called |337 :oP