ID:265131

graphics!!

In truth why are alot of people buying games now days?? Graphics!! Most of them hope to be dazzled by special effects and such, alot of the oldbie gamers have given up on the gaming industry (or atleast I have) on producing a good quality game I can play for hours and not get bored of (With the exception of counter-strike which is always fun, knifing with night vision on is reallly fun :P).

So I've finally found a reallygood professional like artist and we've set out to make the best graphical rpg on byond. But DON'T BE fooled that that's all the games about is graphics, he will be working on the graphics while I will be working on the gameplay, story, and such. For the few that know me they know I have an extremely BIG imagination and can come up with the weirdest things to the most fascinating, that's very original things that they haven't seen MUCH of before.

My background of gaming goes far though I've played literally hundreds of games including about the 200 games I've played for various console systems I have on my computer as reminders of what the games were like (most of them have a unique something about them which is why I kept them for refering back to and twisting to my own ways)

In reality I bet you couldn't find anything totally 100% original in agame now days, I mean it's probably been tried or done before by a person like me or a commercial gaming company.

Well anyways, the games title is undecided but I'm going to have a wide variety of interactions between objects and player. Such as on rainy days heavy monsters will leave footprints in the ground so you can "tracK" them down...

Oh ya and if you're wondering how this is going to raise the bar... it's just I'm trying to get closer to commercial quality games in order to get people to spend more time improving their games to match up to this one... Therefore raising the notch of alot of byond games and bringing in a larger quantity of people.
The RPGmaker gfx here on BYOND are just about the best TYPE of gfx as BYOND is gonna get. If you make good gfx it'll just be maybe better, original versions of what RPGmaker has to offer (Unless its a board game or such.) If you want to raise the bar on gfx, raise it like Deadron did with LivingDead... Everything but the mobs in that are 3d (Exept the head guy :P.) And footprints in the soil or something like that that has already been done with Tanks, and that has little to do with graphics but with special effects.
In response to Kunark
errr ya I knew the footsteps were but that's just an example of how in detail I'm going to try to make this game...

The graphics can get better then RPG Maker you just need to learn how and yes I am considering of making my game have a look like mario RPG
In response to Jon Snow
Ahh I would like to see that, be maybe the second game on BYOND with 3d gfx.
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
The RPGmaker gfx here on BYOND are just about the best TYPE of gfx as BYOND is gonna get.

Soooooooooo, why do you whine about my graphics?

Aside from that point, I would like to see prices on games raised. Yes, raised. I think most games should be at least 1-2 dollars per month, and more for the better ones. I also think that FEATURES are a good thing. Sure, an RPG is good, BUT an RPG with never-seen-before play options is BETTER! Graphics play a rather trivial part in my mind, sound even moreso, especially until BYOND gets some MP3 support. Also, just because the newer systems have better graphics, that isn't at all the only reasons for upgrading. For one, these new carts have such astoundingly high data storage, you can fit more on less, which means you get better games for your money.

Polatrite recommends: Fantasy Life, Lexiconomy, Mushroom War, BYOND Tabletop Gaming, Warriors of Ryuuza, and Dragon Warrior Quest
In response to Polatrite
Frankly, I don't care about gfx. The problem is is to many people worry so much about graphics, they dont put anything worth playing in there game... but since so many people care about gfx, I suggest putting at least RPGmaker gfx in it, at least... But if you want more people to play, why not make good original gfx like hes gonna do. i expect him to get lots of people on his game because of this and probably be a big hit.

The reason why I "whine" about your gfx pola is last time I saw, you were using all the same gfx as you used in TTS in all your other games that I saw. I don't know about mushroom wars, but I expect it to be the same. BTW none of these posts have anything to do with what games you reccomend, so thats a pretty annoying signature.
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
Frankly, I don't care about gfx. The problem is is to many people worry so much about graphics, they dont put anything worth playing in there game...

Go text MUDs! >:)
In response to Malver
Yeah, and see how much good content text muds have? Its because they don't worry about gfx.
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
Yeah, and see how much good content text muds have? Its because they don't worry about gfx.

I don't like to think of text muds as graphic-less. (Well, at least mine ;))

The reason I prefer text over graphics is because I have absolutely no artistic abilities.

However, I prefer to use the keyboard as my paintbrush. Trust me, if someone puts as much work into drawing a picture of a detailed, (yet grotesque) goblin teaming with details as a person who described that same goblin with the proper vocabulary, I think that the text version would be just as good.

But, that's just me: a text-mud fanatic. ;)

- Malver
In response to Kunark
Alright, here are my games, and here are the graphics I use....

Dragon Warrior: Terra Reborn (soon to become Leviathan - Dragon Warrior X)
-SNES remix graphics ripped straight from the game, with my super cool contrast improvements.

Mushroom War
-The shizzy-bomb graphics from Super Mario Bros. 3, go Mario!

Solus Graphical MUD System
-RPGmaker 2000 graphics, the same ones that are in TTS version 1

Survival
-Enhanced RPGmaker 2000 graphics, 2 tiles of which are shared with TTS 1

The Trinity Star
-RPGmaker 2000 graphics

The Trinity Star 2
-RPGmaker 2000 fourth release graphics, with extra enhanced graphics

All other games are either A) unimportant, B) unknown, C) ignorant *chortle*, or D) text based

As I have said time, and time, and time, and time, and time again. I do NOT create graphics. When I do, they get laughed at. Just go look at a brick rack in Survival. Thats my best work. -_-

Signed, Polatrite - Recommended games: Fantasy Life, Lexiconomy, Mushroom War, BYOND Tabletop Gaming, Warriors of Ryuuza, and Dragon Warrior Quest
In response to Malver
don't get me wrong I do agree with you that text is better if you have an imagination, but the average person doesn't read books nearly as often as probably you and I do hehe... So I've given up on relying them to have an imagination and I'm just going tocreate everything for them :P
Do keep in mind that most commercial quality games have a few things you don't - money and help. Companies producing big professional games tend to have one or more person(s) concentrating on each aspect of the game, such as graphics, story, different parts of programming, playability, playtesting, debugging, etc... You're only one person, so don't expect to go too far.

Not saying it can't be done. There are people out there with companies of only one or two people who have made a successfull living off game-design. But their games usually aren't super quality, and are usually relatively small. A nice way to do this, I think, is to make the game first, THEN hire someone to replace your crude graphics with something professional. Not only does that keep you from buying graphics that you don't need, but it gives the artist some reference work to use in his/her own.
In response to Kunark
Third, mine just isn't going anywhere until Dantom expands the object limits :oP

(http://www.byond.com/hub/Foomer/IsometricDemo)
(Click on the map to place stuff, and click on the "build" verb to change what you place. And yes, it currently is a cheap ripoff of an unpopular game called "Outpost".)
In response to Jon Snow
Text MUDs are better for anyone with a hint of imagination. But if you notice, most text-based MUDs are free :oP If someone rebuilt StarCraft (my last professional gaming experience) in text, do you think people would dish out $50 for it?

Graphics are what make the money...
Which gives me an excuse to charge more for them :oD
http://www.byond.com/hub/Foomer/Graphics
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
If you want to raise the bar on gfx, raise it like Deadron did with LivingDead...

Thanks for the plug!

However, I should mention that Guy gets 100% of the credit for the graphics in L&D. He came up with a whole system for creating them and everything, and that game just couldn't exist without his efforts.

By the way, because I want people to know that the DDT is a purely collaborative effort, we recently established http://www.ddtgames.com, and things will be moving from deadron.com to there.
In response to Foomer
And the added advantage that you know the end graphics won't be coming at the expense of gameplay!
In response to Foomer
Here I was sitting and trying to draw a bunch of neat things people had asked for for their burrows, and here, at the expense of a mere $4.00 (slightly less than the cost of an average fast food meal), I can have a set of professionally drawn doodads for den decor.

Hmmm. McDonald's for lunch and spend hours of painful (in more ways than one) struggling with the icon editor to get a couple of poorly drawn chairs... or plunk down 40 dimes and go straight to coding.

I don't know how I'll ever decide this one.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Woohoo! More fast food for me!

(PS, any ideas for more banners?)
[insert various sweat words here]

WTF!!!!! If you want graphics then why play use Byond at all? There's loads of free 3D games designers so use them!

I've just finished work on a text-based game (Trace) and its fine, no graphics at all but its a fun game nontheless

In response to Da_Rushyo
I think he's thinking along the lines of raising prices because of quality, actually :o) While 3D games are great, they take the opposite end of the spectrum from BYOND. BYOND focuses on gameplay with graphics in the background, 3D games focus on graphics with gameplay in the background.

Besides, 3D games are much more limiting as to what you can do, and always require skill with 3D modeling (their way) which isn't especially common.
Page: 1 2 3