ID:265137

I was thinking last of an orignal RPG like game that doesn't go along the lines of slaughtering monsters and gaining levels.I came up with a card game like rpg where you go around the world challenging people in a card game.If you beat an NPC you get one of there cards but if you lose they get one of yours.Agienst PC's you have the option of playing for cards or just for fun.Im thinking about having special places in this world with bosses that if you beat you get a special card thats better than the normal ones.I'm going to make all the graphics and turfs from scratch and try the Sprites but I'm not to good at making them.Does this sound like a good idea for an original type game or does it sound kinda stupid.I don't think anyone else has tried to do something like this before on BYOND.If you have any comments please reply.(I hope this is the right board to post my ideas on I'm not too sure.)

PS.I know this isn't the board for this but if anyone can do good under 32x32 animated sprites for free please tell me.Thanks

-Beld
lol, can we say yu-gi-oh?
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
lol, can we say yu-gi-oh?

whats yu-gi-oh? Another Byond game?
In response to Emperor Beld
Yeah what the ? is yu-gi-oh?
In response to JordanUl
The devil. Stay clear of it, or die.

Back to your game idea for a moment, your description gave me flashbacks of an ol' Super Nintendo game called Arcana. A very original game, for every character, monster, and NPC were in the form of cards. If you haven't played it yet, might want to check it out. It could be a nice brainstorming activity.
In response to JordanUl
wasnt yu gi oh some really populair japanese game (it was popular amongst the japanese anyway)...i think i read something about it...
In response to TNT
Yu-Gi-Oh is a card-based game with a cartoon to help sell it. (Actually, the cartoon seems rather good compared to other marketing efforts.)

That said, I encourage anyone with the desire to make a card-based game. The idea was not invented with Yu-Gi-Oh. That is just a game which has managed to pull the idea off well. If tv and movie franchises can be turned into card games, then original works should be respected as well.
In response to ACWraith
I've actually inherited a large sum of Yu-Gi-Oh cards from a friend who collected massive amounts in a short time then dropped the game. As a rusult, I am the owner of about 400 Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I've made a few decks and played with other guys who play, and I've found that it's actually a very cool game. I don't plan to collect more cards, but I think I'll hold onto the ones I've got and see if they become valuable in the future.

More along the lines of the game idea, I have a program in the works that is much like what you suggested, though the card game is Triple Triad. For any of you who don't know what TT is, here are the basic game concepts.

A card is simply a picture with a border and four numbers in the upper left corner. The card as a whole would look something like this:

/-----\
| #  E|
|# #  |
| #   |
| pic |
\-----/

# is any number 1 through 10, with a 10 being showed as an A. pic is a background picture that shows which card is which. E is an elemental sign used in more complex gameplay.

A game field might look something like this:

/-----------\
     |   |   |   |
     |   |   |   |
     |___|___|___|
 H1  |   |   |   |  H2
     |   |   |   |
     |___|___|___|
     |   |   |   |
/-\  |   |   |   | /-\
|#|  |   |   |   | |#|
\-/  \-----------/ \-/

H1 is Player 1's hand, H2 is Player 2's hand, the first # would be Player 1's score, and the other Player 2's. The six open spaces are for 9 cards to go into.

Both players have a hand of 5 cards of their choice. Different games have different card set limits; card sets are numbered 1 through 10, with 10 having the strongest cards and 1 having the weakest. New players only create and join games with smaller card sizes, and lift limitations as they gain more powerful cards.

When a game is started, a coin is flipped to decide who goes first. The person who goes first gets a tactical disadvantage, but he also has the advantage of having his opponent only able to play 4 of the 5 cards in his hand due to the fact that there are only 9 card slots on a playing board.

On your turn, you must play 1 card on the board. You can play a card in any unoccupied space. Your goal is to capture as many cards on the board as you can. To do that, you must place your cards in the proper way:

In the following examples, an arrow shows which card will capture which.
 3       1
1 3 --> 1 7
 5       7

1       3
1 A --> 7 7
 A       4

1 A
 A
 |
 |
 \/
1 6

So, as you can see, larger numbers matched with smaller numbers will result in the larger numbered card capturing the smaller numbered one. However, captures can only take place on your turn -- for instance, you can lay a card with a 2 on the left side to the right of a card with a 3 on the right side and no capture will take place between those two cards. Captured cards can be captured back and multiple cards can be captured by a single card. If two card numbers are equal when a card is layed down, no capture takes place between them.

That is the game of Triple Triad in a nutshell -- there are a number of rules that make the game more complicated and I may go over them some time, but for now I'll just list them: Same, Plus, Same Wall, Plus Wall, Combo, Elemental.

-Lord of Water
In response to TNT
Actually that game sounds more like Magic the Gathering when ante's were big
In response to Emperor Beld
Yu-gi-oh is a show about a card game... it's like pokemon cards, but only dumber, the cards send out monsters and stuff, pretty immature, alright, image playing magic: the gathering, but when you play a card a big spiffy special effect comes out... really lame, and on top of all that, There are all these lame adults always trying to kill the main character: Yugi, with what yo umight ask? WITH CARDS! Of course, rather than just shooting him, they whip out a deck of cards and if he loses, the bad guy gets his soul... You didn't want to know
In response to Lord of Water

More along the lines of the game idea, I have a program in the works that is much like what you suggested, though the card game is Triple Triad. For any of you who don't know what TT is, here are the basic game concepts.

Isn't TT a game from FF8 or something?
In response to Kamoku
Isn't TT a game from FF8 or something?

Yep. You get cards, cards flip over other cards to their colour, whoever has the most cards of their colour on the board when the board is packed full, wins.
In response to Spuzzum
I loved the FF9 card games, cos they forced you to be good at it when you can play against everydamn guy in the game. Also they had theis sweet idead of there only being certain cards , so for example there was only 1 chocobo card in the whole game, if you lost it to one guy you had to keep chalanging him till you won it back