ID:265141

Someone should host a Chatroom 24hrs for people to discuss their codes realtime to get their stuffs replied as fast as possible, something like an IRC channel :)
Perhaps i should code a Chat Prog to do just that :D
Project Zero wrote:
Someone should host a Chatroom 24hrs for people to discuss their codes realtime to get their stuffs replied as fast as possible, something like an IRC channel :)
Perhaps i should code a Chat Prog to do just that :D

The problem with that is that program code isn't suited to the chat medium. Problems are difficult to explain in real time, and it takes time to analyze others' code to see where things went wrong. And since most code, particularly in BYOND, takes multiple lines to present, chat is wholly inadequate to the task.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I often use my BYOND Tabletop Gaming to help people troubleshoot their code. Storyboxes in sheets are perfect for displaying code, and everyone with the sheet open will see updates as soon as they are made. They even support html so you can color code or otherwise draw attention to particular sections. :)
In response to Lummox JR
Using a fixed-width font in the client script, as well as msg as message can solve any multi-line problems. Also, using the ProcessHTML library, you can set your chat code up for more functionality when sharing code. I still would like to see a java compiling applet somewhere, that you could tie your BYOND program into in some way.

Polatrite
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
The problem with that is that program code isn't suited to the chat medium. Problems are difficult to explain in real time, and it takes time to analyze others' code to see where things went wrong. And since most code, particularly in BYOND, takes multiple lines to present, chat is wholly inadequate to the task.

Lummox JR

I agree in general, but if someone wanted to implement something like this, it might be fun to have them use browser windows with textarea fields in them, that could edited, and sent to each other. You could even have a little "save" button that saved it to a text file.

Just thinking in terms of interesting programming problems. :)
In response to Skysaw
Skysaw wrote:
if someone wanted to implement something like this, it might be fun to have them use browser windows with textarea fields in them, that could edited, and sent to each other. You could even have a little "save" button that saved it to a text file.

Heh, you haven't looked at BYOND Tabletop Gaming yet, have you?
In response to Shadowdarke
2 plugs in one thread? Sheesh shadow, your turning into me :P
In response to Sariat
Sariat wrote:
2 plugs in one thread? Sheesh shadow, your turning
into me :P

But he's right: for the incredibly low, low price of *free*, BYOND Tabletop Gaming (a first place winner in digitalBYOND's Challenge 001 last month) is the near-perfect solution to this problem! :)
In response to digitalmouse
But he's right: for the incredibly low, low price of *free*, BYOND Tabletop Gaming (a first place winner in digitalBYOND's Challenge 001 last month) is the near-perfect solution to this problem! :)

And remember, if you don't use BYOND Tabletop Gaming, you'll have no friends!

That'd be a fun line: Because it's popular... BYOND Tabletop Gaming!
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
And remember, if you don't use BYOND Tabletop Gaming, you'll have no friends!

Oh, that's why!
In response to Spuzzum
I used to be Jack Gibbler of Nowhere City, Nowhere(So much nowhere, nobody has ever heard of the state) Now I'm Kevin Boukmark of Samson, Florida. I used to be 764lbs 5'9'', living with my mom, and having absolutely subzero friends, now thanks to BYOND Tabletop Gaming, I'm down to a slim 170lbs and I have over 200 friends! Oh yea, and thanks to BYOND Tabletop Gaming, I moved out and am now living in a 100million dollar mansion with my super model wife Sasha Uberbusty.(Note results very for users of BTG, side effects may include: Lazyness, strained eyes, blindness, radioactive glow, rectal burning, spontaneous combustion, immediate hair loss, extra leg/arm/head groth, transformation to the opposite sex, 12lb tumars, reciting of 3 randomly chosen seasons of Freakazoid, worshipping of the Kim'Kapurburger god, reluctant gain of intelligence, loss of skin pigment, hightened spider like senses, Limb loss, lose of sanity, insomnia, nail loss, massive zit problem in the hind quarters, hair growing in places puberty missed, constant vomitting, tooth loss, taste loss, alien type people visiting you in germ form targetting your genital area by entering through your nose, a weakness toward glowing green rocks called kryptonite, and other genital type defects/problems.)

<<>>Semaj<<>>