ID:265277

I searched the forums for topics based around elevation, and I still really don't understand it. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I would go about adding elevation to my game?
Wow...don't post too fast now! -_-
In response to SSJ Radditz
This may help if its what you mean by elevation
http://developer.byond.com/hub/Garthor/TurfElevation

This is not a real-time medium of talking, and some posts can go days without being answered. So please wait at least 24 hours and make sure that the topic is off the front page to bump this topic again.
Lazyboy
In response to Lazyboy
What Lazyboy said... also, what exactly do you mean by elevation? Details, people, details!
In response to Crispy
What else needs to be said? Turf elevation. Stairs leading to cliffs, bridges between areas, etc.
SSJ Radditz wrote:
What else needs to be said?

Lots.

Turf elevation. Stairs leading to cliffs, bridges between areas, etc.

This is a good start. But *what* about elevation do you mean? Are you intending to discuss methods of representing elevation in the game? Or how it could be used to affect gameplay? Or a more technical discussion, for example about how certain elevation-related effects could be implemented? Or a combination?

In Design Philosophy, to get anything useful out of the thread you need to spark a conversation somehow. Asking one or more straight-out questions is a good way of doing this - for example, "Is it better to have players gain levels so they get their statistic bonuses all at once, or gradually so they get smaller bonuses more often?"
In response to Crispy
I guess I more or less meant, how I would go out doing it program wise.
I used to use Ebonshadow's elevation stuff, but then made my own using the same concepts. But, here's his original library, it's pretty good:

http://developer.byond.com/hub/Ebonshadow/Movement
In response to Crispy
I believe what he's going for is how to make things like bridges that go across chasms/rivers that can be walked under when walking perpendicular to them, or over when walking parallel, cliffs that can be "jumped" down, but not walked up, etc...

Things like directional-sensitive Enter()s and multi-layered graphics and whatnot...

And I believe the angle of his question is more along the lines of "what is the code for this?" rather than "what are some good ways to do this?"
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
No, I'm not looking for the code for this. I looking to learn how I would go about doing it. Just a general overview of what one would do.
Ok, nevermind. I've figured it out for myself.