ID:265281

I am requesting mp3 files to work with the DM language, because wavs adn quite large, and you can compress them to mp3, making the file much smaller, but sound the same. Plus, teh downloads will be a bit faster for games when they want their own sounds besides midis. Just a request.

-King Gunnerblast
Do a forum search for this. It's been requested many times, and can't happen.
In response to Airjoe
For legal reasons, huh? You can turn an mp3s into wavs easily. So whats the difference?
In response to King Gunnerblast
The difference is size. Mp3s are small because of some encryption or codec or something that's copyrighted. So we can't use it. Sure, convert it to a wav, but then you lose the encryption/compression and it's legal to use again.

2 kids made the mp3 format, and now they're rich as hell.
In response to Airjoe
That's why they invented OGG.
Look through the creations forum. Someone figured out how to get it to use mp3s, though I don't remember if they had to be stored on a site or if it let you store them in the .rsc.

The problem with using the .mp3 format, is that your probably going to be using something without permission of the owner. If you do this, it is illegal (let alone it being illegal to even HAVE an mp3 when you don't own the soundtrack.).
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
The problem with using the .mp3 format, is that your probably going to be using something without permission of the owner. If you do this, it is illegal (let alone it being illegal to even HAVE an mp3 when you don't own the soundtrack.).

How do you know he's not from Canada? :P
Besides, that "problem" with the mp3 would exist no matter what format you use.
In response to Jon88
Yes, but who in their right mind is going to make people download a .wav? a .wav with uber crap quality is like 4 megs compared to a good quality mp3 thats like 3 megs.
In response to Kunark
It wouldn't have to be a WAV PCM. I think the point was that the format will not stop people from using material without the owner's permission. The only licensing problem specific to MP3 that I know of is that of the format itself.
In response to Jon88
I love being canadian =)
This topic has been discussed to death too many times before, and it's in the wrong forum anyway. (And MIDIs are way smaller than MP3s, although comparatively they sound like crap.) Do a forum search in Q&A and you'll find about a zillion threads like this one.

So let's call this closed. There's no need for this same discussion to clutter the forums over and over.

Lummox JR