In response to Lummox JR
I think it's funny you can tell me that I don't know what I want. I know exactly what I want, and some of the people who've actually given me help have also figured out what I was actually asking. I'm done asking for help on this subject as most, but not everyone, seem just to make this a lot more difficult and simply ridiculous than it is. What I asked was simple. And Lummox, you of all people should know exactly what a want, as my first post even mentioned you, and the critism you gave me on my beam demo. So, why not stop acting super intelligent and give help when it's asked for. Over complicating this subject does not equal intelligent or witty, so stop it.
In response to SSJ Radditz
SSJ Radditz wrote:
I think it's funny you can tell me that I don't know what I want. I know exactly what I want, and some of the people who've actually given me help have also figured out what I was actually asking.

Well that's terrific, especially considering you've communicated what you're asking so poorly. Are you looking for a proper beam, or one with a head that behaves in a projectile-like way, or what? If you can't clarify your ideas, few will understand you.

I'm done asking for help on this subject as most, but not everyone, seem just to make this a lot more difficult and simply ridiculous than it is. What I asked was simple.

Too simple; you didn't clarify. You left the question so vague that people are wondering what "beam" means to you.

And Lummox, you of all people should know exactly what a want, as my first post even mentioned you, and the critism you gave me on my beam demo.

Yes yes, I know you want help rewriting your beam demo. The problem is, I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a beam. This is not a complicated question; it's just one that requires more than "I want to make a beam" for an answer.

So, why not stop acting super intelligent and give help when it's asked for. Over complicating this subject does not equal intelligent or witty, so stop it.

I'm not trying to overcomplicate the subject, but merely get some details down. When you say "beam" you assume it has some univeral meaning, but it really doesn't. What sort of beam? How should it behave? Is it practically instantaneous or does it take time to reach anything? What happens if something steps into it or interrupts it? What happens if two beams meet? ...if they cross? These aren't complications; they're the basic parameters. If you're too vague at the outset, you'll get nowhere.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
What happens if two beams meet? ...if they cross?

Total protonic reversal. Don't cross the streams.
Ok, I'm back. Having a little trouble though. I got to thinking about what everyone was saying. As of now, to test the beam, you input afew key variables: Length of the beam(not including the head), how many tiles it will go before dissipating, it's power, and it's explosion radius(in tiles).

This is how the system works. After entering the variables, the head will move and place down a trail until it meets the length you entered. Once it meets this length, the beam then breaks off, and moves as a whole instead of just the head actually moving and then dissipates once it's met it's tilespan. Well, that's how it's supposed to work. Everything is fine, except for the fact that the trail pieces can't keep up with the head. I've tried adjusting the walk() lag and such, but it just can't keep up. Any thoughts?
You could keep it the way it is, since it already handles it properly. You should also make sure to check what it bumps to see if its something that can be deleted by the blast or not. (Such as rocks or something). By beam battle do you mean two people firing at each other? If so, I agree with the idea of having the stronger beam overpower the weaker one, but if they are the same strength have an explosion where the two meet and anything in that explosion takes damage. You should also add the ability to deflect beams, firing it back the way it came.
I would look into animate_movement and setting it to SYNC_STEPS. Also, I'd suggest that you move them all in the same process, preferable in one loop that moves the head and the following parts in order. Then they will all be moving at the same time. If you're already doing that, great.
Page: 1 2