ID:265588

Considering I lost the source to StickWarriors! RPG Edition(pretty dumb of me for not backing files up :(), I need another non-DBZ project to focus on. And the whole volcano-issue in Indonesia(you know, the 'active' volcano - forgot its name) insipred me to start on a new project: The Volcano. I posted a few screenshots on my blog, but at the bottom of the post you can find some more.

By now, I've figured out that it's going to be a single-player type of game, where you cannot see(nor notice) other clients on the map. The most important thing in the game, of course, is The Volcano. Your homevillage is a village on the foot of The Volcano, and you are supposed to be the hero and go on several quests to prevent The Volcano from erupting. Magic stuff will be involved, something like that The Volcano contains some sort of secret where a huge amount of magic power is involved. I was thinking of something Golden Sun-like.

I don't have any code yet, except for turf-definers. Nor do I have sprites for the mobs. But that's not the issue here. You see, I cannot decide what to do. I have a few questions:

Battle System
Considering this is a game with multiple quests and a quite complicated storyline I don't know what I should do. A turn-based battlesystem, like Golden Sun - or just the rpg style and you just need to hit some button and you attack. What would you recommend?

Weapons
Should I do the whole weapon-buying thing? With new weapons each village/town - or should the player just fight with fists, kicks and other basic things? What would you recommend for this type of game?

As I said earlier, I would like to release a few screenshots:

#1: The place that leads to The Volcano, at the top of the village - the foot of the mountain(There will be men guarding that once the sprites are done):
http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled4nn1.png

#2: Somewhere in the village, with houses - duh. >.>
http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled6mq.png

#3: The northeast of the village, the house of the 'hero':
http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled5vt.png

The village
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

As you can see, there is quite some water there. That is intentionally made - that's why the villagers are afraid of an eruption of the volcano. You see, if the volcano erupts the lava will stream down through the river and wash the village with lava.

I'd really apreciate any form of feedback, as long it's not in an respectless flaming way. Thanks!

O-matic
Turn based battle would suit this MUCH, MUCH better.

And about the Weapons, I'd say the quests / quest 'bosses' would drop weapons. Weapons with certain properties (I'm going to say some Ragnarok Online things here; ( +10% damage when it's a small monster/beast; Wind Weapon (= strong against water), ...))

PS; Where the heck do you get your icons? I swear to God I hate all of you people that just find some icons and use them. Argh.
In response to Mysame
Mysame wrote:
Turn based battle would suit this MUCH, MUCH better.

There's the first vote! >.>

And about the Weapons, I'd say the quests / quest 'bosses' would drop weapons. Weapons with certain properties ...

This inspires me quite a bit. Something like that bosses drop special weapons, and normal weapons are to buy in shops. Sounds good! I'll think about it - thanks!

PS; Where the heck do you get your icons? I swear to God I hate all of you people that just find some icons and use them. Argh.

I drew them myself. Do you really expect me to rip some icons? A year and a half ago I would, but in this state and expierience... oh please...

O-matic
In response to O-matic
No offence, O-dutchy.

... TEACH ME HOW TO ICON! T.T;;
In response to Mysame
Mysame wrote:
No offence, O-dutchy.

... TEACH ME HOW TO ICON! T.T;;

Practice. When I started, the only thing I could do were worthless ugly tiles -- but after a while my creativity somewhat increased and now I still can't claim I'm good - but not bad.

Practice is good, incredibly good. just start creating a game, and draw everthing by yourself. After a while you'll get the hang of it.

O-matic
I think the grass might be a better off a little...less florescent.(sp?)

I did a cheap color switch out of boredom, but yea...something less bright
In response to Papoose
I must admit, it does look better - thanks. Now I can make another grass-set, although - only if you allow me to. >.>

O-matic
In response to O-matic
I like the grass.. Looks happy and fun to play with. Stop the 99.999% realistic games. Fantasy ftw!
In response to Mysame
Does ftw stand for [expletive deleted]?
In response to PirateHead
For the win.

Really, now!
In response to Mysame
Eh, I always just thought "WTF backwards" when I saw it.
In response to PirateHead
Heh, me too. >.>

O-matic
Do some sort of dynamic-liquid-flow thing, so that you can have eruptions (or whatever other liquid) flow down hillsides in a realistic and sexy way!
In response to Jp
I am planning to make the volcano erupt several times, so that could be an idea...

O-matic
I finished the mob-bases recently, and I'd like to ask for your opinion!

O-matic
In response to O-matic
Looks interesting, although on the graphical side it could use some work. I like your original icons, but if you could make them fit together more snug that would makes things look so much smoother. If you're going to use graphics like that, you need to make them look presentable!

My two and a half cents.
In response to O-matic
I've been iconning upwards of two years on and off. I just got to the point of being accomplished an i can produce icons that developers want. It's a really frustrating and obnoxious time finding a style that fits you. I tried a cartoony/animesque style for a year that didnt work at all. Now, i do realistic icons with proportions that are correct. If done correctly, they look really good.Oh well, sorry to hijack the thread just wanted to add my 2 cents about icon making.