ID:265936

...to have his scores displayed in the Standings tab?
I'm aware this is up to me, but do you guys think it's fair?
If you aren't cheating, why not?
You mean..

Player1 = 93632747
Player2 = 32492347
Player3 = 12000006
Player4 = 9099995
Player5 = 7231233
Owner = 6 // XD

In my own point of view, it's not unfair.

Vic Rattlehead wrote:
...to have his scores displayed in the Standings tab?
I'm aware this is up to me, but do you guys think it's fair?

I think that generally depends on the content. Board and card games (when not specifically programmed to do so) don't favour any one person, so the results are based on the player's actual skill (such as chess) or luck (as in Texas Hold'em), regardless of how they were involved in development.

RPGs offer the developer(s) an idea of what order to train on monsters, and the person(s) responsible for the program code will know the exact stats far before anyone else. Ultimately, that becomes balanced because players with far more free time down the road figure out all the stats anyway.

Other genres like RTS may give the developer an advantage for a short amount of time (knowing exactly how long it takes to generate a unit, what kind of enemy is coming with the next wave, etc.) but, eventually, anyone who plays the game enough knows all that too.
In response to Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon wrote:
but, eventually, anyone who plays the game enough knows >all that too.

keyword: eventually.

and i know it IS your choice Vic, but why ruin the fun of YOUR OWN game for yourself? Why not play it like everyone else so you can test the genius programing that is behind it all? I my personal oppinion, I would rather NOT know everything to start out. It makes the game so much more interesting. Plus, if this was in a PVP game and I knew all the secrets and had all the best stuff and knew how to do everything it would be a beat-down on the other players. You would rule your game and nobody could beat you. That, to me, is TOTALLY unfair.
In response to Brizzel987
The question was whether the owner of a game should report his high scores or standings, however it may be rated. Not whether he should play the game at all. A well programmed and balanced game would not give the owner any advantage past the initial knowledge of how the game works, which like mobius said, everyone would find out soon enough.
I find it rather distasteful when I see the game owner is several thousand points above whoever's in the #2 spot.
If the owner can't actually cheat, then why shouldn't they? I don't see the problem.
I think they shouldn't. Owner and other GMs will abuse verbs in one or other way... Not being in standings might encourage them to use alts, that's less stuff they can abuse, but still abuseable
In response to Ripiz
Right off the bat you assume a owner or GM will abuse verbs, or even have the verbs to begin with. No game worth it's own weight is going to even have such abusive verbs to begin with.

With the game I am currently working on, I am trying to make a self correcting system, that will fix player problems on it's own, without having to rely on admins or GMs to fix any sort of problems.

If they don't have the verbs, they can't use the verbs.
Depends on the game. I have my stats displayed on Tomb Explorer's standings page because, face it, a lot of people are better at that game than I am.
In response to Jotdaniel
Jotdaniel wrote:
The question was whether the owner of a game should report his high scores or standings, however it may be rated. Not whether he should play the game at all. A well programmed and balanced game would not give the owner any advantage past the initial knowledge of how the game works, which like mobius said, everyone would find out soon enough.

And wouldn't you like to be the first one to blow the owner's score away and rub it in his face?
In response to Foomer
I don't see any problem with it. Unless they abuse it, as mentioned above.

I'm ranked on my game 'Quarantine', but i'm at #8. I think.
Non-fangames on BYOND need all of the player standings they can get. If players care, then they can knock the developer's score down themselves. If it's a really big issue, then the developer can remove the score after the list fills up.

I currently have the highest score in Wrangle, Warp And Weep, but it's an action game with randomly generated maps so I don't really understand my advantage. There's a help file, a tip section, and a video tutorial for anyone who wishes to knock me down.
In response to ACWraith
ACWraith wrote:
I currently have the highest score in Wrangle, Warp And Weep, but it's an action game with randomly generated maps so I don't really understand my advantage. There's a help file, a tip section, and a video tutorial for anyone who wishes to knock me down.

Your advantage is that your brain is skewed in such a way as to make you the only person who clearly understands how your games work. :P In other words, you make bizarre games.