ID:266324

stuff.

I am trying to make a thing where the user's name is transfered into icons and added to an object's overlays. In need help!!!
Thanks in advance,
AIR _KING
I am trying to make a thing where the user's name is transfered into icons and added to an object's overlays. In need help!!!

Do you have a system in the works already to do this, or are you asking how?

Currently there is no text-to-icon support in BYOND, though there may eventually be. The only way to make an icon out of text would be to use a bunch of small individual text icons offset to different places, and OR the result together--or else have icon sets with various offsets, and add multiple overlays to create a single text icon. There are of course limits here, a big one being that to space the text properly you'd have to set it up so that your icons were exactly 8 pixels apart horizontally. And the biggest pain of all would be creating all those icon states, then shifting each to the right 8, 16, and 24 times. This is to say nothing of vertical alignment; presumably you'd want to stick to something vertically centered.

Which is all to say, "This way lies madness."

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Why don't you just use one of those libraries that has words pop up and when you click the guys name appears for a while.
In response to Lummox JR
Shadowdarke did it with his game, the first person that logs in is turned into and icon and put in the title screen.
In response to Air _King
He had to draw his own font, and alot of other stuff.
In response to Air _King
Yes, that's very high-level programming. I.e. on the order of something *I* am not interested in tackling.

I've been planning on working on a floating text system where a user's name floats above their character, but I haven't really had the inclination (nor the time) to start it.
In response to Exadv1
you mean talkbubble?

I'm trying somthing Simular to Air_Mapster, but I`m doing it with the users HP var and number iconstates, which i have already.

I just need to figure out how to do a specific thing and i`ll be able to start, well atleast try to anyways
Ebonshadow said he'd be adding his new talking bubble library to the hub this afternoon. Perhaps you can disassemble that and use it as a base for what you want to do.
In response to Pillsverry
Pillsverry wrote:
I'm trying somthing Simular to Air_Mapster, but I`m doing it with the users HP var and number iconstates, which i have already.

With numbers, this should be a lot easier. (If you limit your numbers to under 10000, you can stick with 4 digits and save yourself some work.) The MS Sans Serif font has all its numbers the same width, I believe, which means you could easily draw them in a paint program, copy them over, and then shift them a certain number of pixels to the right or left as needed. What's more, if you only have 4 digits, you can use the dir var to adjust their position; you can make 10 4-direction icons, or make 40 1-direction icons with special state names.

Lummox JR