ID:266411

Are there any kind of bord game tutorials or demos to get me statred I have no clue whee to start.
Well you'll notice theres a tutorials section over to your left, I would suggest clicking that and running through a few. You'll get better answers when your questions are more spacific.
In response to Dreq
Yes I have looked through all of those. I have downloaded about every tutorial/demo/lib on this site...
In response to Little Sally
I am actually working on one using Dan's Take Turns. Its not finished, but at least you can move (Thanks to Rcet). Give me a page or your e-mail and I will send it to you, if you want.

-Sariat
No, I don't think there are any tutorials for board games yet. I think Deadron said he was working on a checkers demo, but I haven't heard from that in a long time.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
No, I don't think there are any tutorials for board games yet. I think Deadron said he was working on a checkers demo, but I haven't heard from that in a long time.

I got distracted by making actual games...but I probably will finish that someday.

(And I the only person who finishes games but not all my side projects???)
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
(And I the only person who finishes games but not all my side projects???)

Yep. :)

-Rcet
In response to Sariat
Maybe I need a new programming trick. My solution to most problems of this nature seems to be "Make a judge mob or obj to conduct the turns!"

If you use a different approach I'd like to see it if you don't mind Sariat.
Little Sally wrote:
Are there any kind of bord game tutorials or demos to get me statred I have no clue whee to start.

I know of no board game tutorials as such, but the starting point would be a system that forces players to take turns. Everything past that point boils down to game-specific decisions.

In Incursion I sort of botched the turn-taking mechanism; I didn't check any tutorials, and ended up making my own "sequence list" late in the game. There's a lot of redundant code involved that needs to be changed from one method of operations to another. One big challenge, though, was that players are a virtual concept, not the mobs who log in; that is, the red player may start as one person, only to be replaced with someone else when they log out. (My solution to this was to create a /player datum that keeps track of all a player's details. It has procs called Attach() and Detach() which can connect it to a mob.)

Lummox JR
In response to English
English wrote:
Maybe I need a new programming trick. My solution to most problems of this nature seems to be "Make a judge mob or obj to conduct the turns!"

I usually use a datum to do this in, so I don't interfere with the existing objects or mobs in the game. But the general idea is the same, and it works just fine in my experience. Everything goes through the datum/whatever, and variables are used to store who's turn it is, or whatever need be. It largely depends on the game though, if this much is needed(Or just a set of general proc's to control things)

Alathon
In response to Alathon
I've been working on a library for tracking turns and trying to make it non-dedicated-idiot proof. I have editable triggers for datums and have designed my object so types can be derived from it easily enough.

...Of course, now that I've mentioned it, it probably won't be done until 2525, but I figured I'd screw myself over.
In response to ACWraith
All you really need to do is have a list in the obj (or datum :p) that contains all the mobs that need to take turns in the order the turns are to be taken. Then have the obj start at the first mob in the list. Once the mob ends it's turn have it tell the obj to go to the next mob in the list.

This is one area where too much customization may be required for a library to be really useful.
In response to Lummox JR
In Shining I have each mob contain a pointer to the judge. Whenever that mob dies or logs out it removes itself from the turns list through the Del() and Logout() procs.
In response to English
English wrote:
All you really need to do is have a list in the obj (or datum :p) that contains all the mobs that need to take turns in the order the turns are to be taken. Then have the obj start at the first mob in the list. Once the mob ends it's turn have it tell the obj to go to the next mob in the list.

This is one area where too much customization may be required for a library to be really useful.

What a turn consists of needs to be customized. However, there can be a general solution to keep track of whose turn it is.

If using a list, there is more to it when adding and removing turns in the middle of a round. There are race conditions and index errors to worry about, especially if you allow the same player to have multiple turns in random order. Spawn(-1) and sleep() became my friends.

Also, while having a player tell the turn handler it is done is a nice option, there should be an option to skip to the next turn if it takes too long. Designing for derived types which would keep track of time by themselves without forcing the user to rewrite entire procs was another obstacle. (I'll include my own types with time anyway, but I don't want to force anyone to use them.)