ID:266628

After having read the blue book (and having quite a bit of experience with OO programming) I'm ready to start planning out how I'm going to code my first project with DM.

Specifically, I'm doing a multiplayer card game, and I was wondering if anybody had any tips (or better yet, examples) on how to implement such a thing, when Byond is mostly geared towards "shared world" RPG mechanics.

Since each player would require a view of their own hand, I thought about cordoning off sections of the map, to create separate "table spaces" for each player. An invisible mob could be used to scroll their individual table spaces left and right in the view window (allowing them to look at all of the cards in their hand, which will be visually represented by objs). The problem is, it seems a little kludgy to me.

Anyone have some experience with implementing something similar?

Regards,
Corporate Dog
You might take a look at Una. It hasn't been updated in about a year, so it doesn't use many of the nifty new advanced features of BYOND like client screen, but it works out fairly well.

Cards in a hand are displayed to the player in a statpanel. The draw and discard "piles" on the board are each merely a multi-tile object that changes icon_state depending on what it is showing. The entire deck of cards is held in a global list, not actually on the board anywhere. Turns are modeled after Dan's TakeTurns library, with a lot of extra junk to account for things specific to this game.

Of course, that's just one way to do things. If I were writing the game now, I'd definitely look into using client screen functionality to display cards in a little area on the board.