ID:266654

is it possible?

LIke I mean if you walk to the top of the map is it possible to make it so you can see the bottom of the map? Like if all sides, corners were connected?
I've pondered the same thing. I know it should be possible to do it yourself. However, I question whether the work to keep up the illusion is worth it in relation to the rest of the game.

There is no simple switch in BYOND to do this that I know of. However, I would like to be wrong on this.
In response to ACWraith
ACWraith wrote:
I've pondered the same thing. I know it should be possible to do it yourself. However, I question whether the work to keep up the illusion is worth it in relation to the rest of the game.

There is no simple switch in BYOND to do this that I know of. However, I would like to be wrong on this.

You could use a sort of buffer around the edges of the map that simulated the corresponding turf on the other side, but I would have to agree, this is probably more trouble than its worth. I think that your best bet is simply making the map wrap, so when you walk off the edge it brings you to the corresponding turf on the other side. Then to make it look nice, just use S_eye so you never see the edge.
In response to ACWraith

I would like you to be wrong too. Er, on this, that is. =)
In response to Ebonshadow
Well, I decided since you're all misinformed, I'll make a demo of this. All it really takes is 8 (or 4, I'm testing that) new areas, and a 5-square buffer around your map.
If all four sides are connected, you get a torus(a donut). That is, if top and bottom are joined, and left and right are joined, the resultant world would conform to the surface of a donut. In this case, north and south pole are the same location.

To get a sphere, you need to have points on the north border connect to other north border points. The same is true for the south. If you step north, your mobs direction is reversed north to south, and you are moved x squares to the left or right.

By the way, If I recall correctly, there is a procedure that swaps the players prespective. It is used in board games such as chess.

In response to Garthor
Well, I made a map that works. It has a 5 icon buffer, and when you enter it, you're teleported to the other side of the map.

2 problems though:

The buffer is currently permanent

You can't see people on the other side of the map, thus you could move a square and people would appear.

I'll host it when more people are on for suggestions, then put it up as a library.