ID:266751

How do I make a for loop check from top to bottom until it finds what it needs and if it doesnt find what it needs it displays src << "Cannot find [blah]"
Ex.
mob/verb/Find()
for(var/obj/key/A in src.contents)
A = anything in typesof(usr.contents)
if(Found.key.A && A.HiddenKey == usr.key)
src << "Found [A]"
else
src << "Cannot find [A]"
Thief jack wrote:
How do I make a for loop check from top to bottom until it finds what it needs and if it doesnt find what it needs it displays src << "Cannot find [blah]"
Ex.
mob/verb/Find()
for(var/obj/key/A in src.contents)
A = anything in typesof(usr.contents)
if(Found.key.A && A.HiddenKey == usr.key)
src << "Found [A]"
else
src << "Cannot find [A]"

You're starting out fine, but remember that A is already assigned to the first key in the contents list. So you don't need the "A =" line. Also, if you don't have A in your list the for loop will never execute.

/Andreas
In response to Gazoot
Gazoot I know that but it was an Ex. how do I get it to check every single thing before it does anything? or something like that?
I'm not sure exactly what you want but I think this is the direction your heading:

var/key/K
for(K in contents)
if(K.ishidden)
//do something
break
if(!K) src << "Nothing useful was found!"

If you exit a loop normally the variable you were using will be null (thus the !K). If, however, you break out of the loop, K will keep the last value it had so it won't be null.
In response to English
Thanks!
In response to Thief Jack
Thief jack wrote:
Gazoot I know that but it was an Ex. how do I get it to check every single thing before it does anything? or something like that?

If you know that I don't see what the problem is. But instead of a for loop, I would rather use locate() to check for an item in a list.
var/obj/bonsai/B = locate() in src.contents  // Check for a bonsai tree in the inventory
if(B)
... // Found one!

This is the same example as in the help file. Read more about locate there.