ID:271920

Is it possible for me to use 3D objects or a 3d map in byond? If it is how would I go about doing this, or is there a tutorial already?
No.
Depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Short answer, No.

Long Answer:
This is possible, but it's really impractical because BYOND doesn't have the processing power to run a 3D environment smoothly. Unless you had one hell of an efficient rendering algorithm, you're not going to be able to create a game out of it.

If you're thinking 3D with 2D graphics, like Red Alert 2 or Total Annihilation (TA actually had fully 3D graphics, but the camera angle couldn't be modified), then yeah, that's possible and practical. There are numerous isometric engines lying around (like iso8) and making your own isn't too difficult.
In response to Calus CoRPS
well acualy u could use a simple layer map and then just (this is the hard part) have a good as hell iconer and coder work on both movment and the char pysicis along with the world map in general
In response to Kazuma01
No, you couldn't.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Short answer, No.

Long Answer:
This is possible, but it's really impractical because BYOND doesn't have the processing power to run a 3D environment smoothly. Unless you had one hell of an efficient rendering algorithm, you're not going to be able to create a game out of it.

Your long answer is actually quite incorrect. Pseudo-3D has really only been accomplished in terms too simple to count for anything. Gakumerasara's game is more of a proof of concept than anything else, and it either can't run indefinitely or its technique won't be suitable because it's extremely limited.

The problem: BYOND renders all graphics as icons. Dynamic icon creation is not fast enough to work for this purpose. But moreover, it is not sustainable. BYOND can only handle so many dynamic icons before the cache simply runs out of room; there's no concept in place of a cached file that is no longer in use.

If you're thinking 3D with 2D graphics, like Red Alert 2 or Total Annihilation (TA actually had fully 3D graphics, but the camera angle couldn't be modified), then yeah, that's possible and practical. There are numerous isometric engines lying around (like iso8) and making your own isn't too difficult.

Isometric is far more achievable.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
A while back, there was JackGuy's 3d wireframe techdemo, which ran really smoothly. I've also seen entertaining 3d wireframe games before. Is it very pretty? Not as pretty as some might want it to be, but it still works. It doesn't generate new icons either.

But yeah, 3D with polygons and textures and whatnot isn't going to work out with BYOND. Unless you did what Volte did, with an external rendering program (Though I would imagine that would have the same cache problems as Gakumerasara's Raycaster).

Unless you did what Volte did, with an external rendering program

I demand someone show me this. Please?
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Unless you did what Volte did, with an external rendering program

Well, the way I did it was kind of cheating. I just made the engine render to the pane that DreamSeeker uses for the map object. Later versions communicated with the game to dynamically (and crudely) generate a 3D version of the map, using Export().
In response to Garthor
Thanks for the replies, I'll take this as advice not to do 3d with byond :P..I'll wait till my junior year in highschool and take one of the classes..Thanks for the replies again though!
In response to I hate trees
so there are no current demos or engines out on this at the moment?