ID:273475

Apparently the main problem was in other modules of my project so the code written here is removed to avoid confusion it could give to other users.

I still didn't figure out how to make real 3d music or determine a music file's length, but I've learned how to make sound zones and use it for now to start/stop sounds. Thank you :).
Taken from the Reference:

falloff var (sound)

See also:
vars (sound)
x, y, z vars (sound)

Default value:
Within the falloff distance a 3D sound stays at the constant loudest volume possible. Outside of this distance it attenuates at a rate determined by the falloff.

Higher values will make sounds fade out more slowly as they get farther away. The distance of a sound is set by x, y, and z.
In response to Leur
Leur wrote:
Taken from the Reference:

falloff var (sound)

See also:
vars (sound)
x, y, z vars (sound)

Default value:
Within the falloff distance a 3D sound stays at the constant loudest volume possible. Outside of this distance it attenuates at a rate determined by the falloff.

Higher values will make sounds fade out more slowly as they get farther away. The distance of a sound is set by x, y, and z.

Sorry, I must be doing it wrong...

Doesn't default value of 1 cause it already to fade? But I don't see this behavior, I tried to change S.falloff but it defines nothing.

I think the key phrase is "a 3d sound". Does it mean that mine is not 3d? How should I set it up properly?
In response to Deon_Urist
That's what I try to do:

<code> proc playit() set src in view() var/sound/S = new/sound('midnightride.wav',1) if(b_broken) return else src.sd_SetLuminosity(1) icon_state = "on" S.x = src.x S.y = src.y S.z = src.z S.falloff = 10 view() << S </code>

But it doesn't work so it looks like I forget something.
The falloff here only changes the loudness of the sound. When I move nothing changes, and I can move away a few screens and still hear it at the same volume.

In response to Leur
Thanks, I will check it out.

It looks like there's no easy way to make a 3d music. Heh, I will see what can I do.

Btw is there a way to check the length of the audio file? I want the jukebox to stop flickering when the audio ends.
In response to Leur
Okay, I've decided to go with a simple route: assign a room where the music is played, doh.

How to check if the user is still in area?

I want to call

Exit()
. = ..()
if(.)
if(<usr in area>)
usr.client.sound_system.SetMusicVolume(0, 3, 50)

What should be the "usr in area" check? It's not usr.loc.
Used an /area Entered() and Exited():
area
Sound
Exited(Player/M)
if(istype(M) && M.client)
M.client.sound_system.SetMusicVolume(0, 3, 50)
In response to GhostAnime
GhostAnime wrote:
Used an /area Entered() and Exited():
area
> Sound
> Exited(Player/M)
> if(istype(M) && M.client)
> M.client.sound_system.SetMusicVolume(0, 3, 50)

This one prodices errors unless I specify M :P.

The problem is that whenever I move WITHIN the area, it still thinks that I move out of a tile with the area so it switches the sound off.

I think I should check each step if I am STILL in the same area, and I can't figure out how to make it.

P.S. Apparently the Dynamic Lightning system by
Whenever I move inside darker/brighter areas it triggers some strange thing.

Right now I have two zones - bar and exit, and it triggers volume 100 on bar entering and volume 0 on exit entering.

Still while I move between differently lit areas in the bar, it triggers the Enter() code for exit(!) which is not even close, so it toggles the music.

I guess I have to withdraw and postpone my idea of musical jukebox for a while. I wonder why does dynamic lightning system do it :P.
Sorry for the wall of text, I am a bit uncertain in my words because I haven't slept for a long time.

The problem with the weirdness came from a Dynamic Lighting system which caused really weird zone behavior (i.e. triggered entered()/exited() processes for wrong zones).

For now I find it right to get rid of the lighting system which I can'd find errors in (there're definitely some errors which cause some errors when you move with multiple light sources etc.) until I can write my own which should (hopefully) work :P.

Thank you very much to all who replied. Because of you I've managed to find a few good sound systems and learned from the sources you provided a lot.

I hope in the future I will provide better questions and maybe some answers.

Kudos.
The dynamic lighting system was almost certainly splitting a single instance of an area into multiple instances, and giving each one a different "darkness" icon to achieve the lighting effect. The workaround would be to use istype() to only perform an action if the areas are different, so:

area
Entered(var/mob/M, var/oldloc)
if(istype(oldloc, src))
//stuff
Exited(var/mob/M)
// Checking M.loc in case it's null, to avoid an error with M.loc.loc
if(M.loc && istype(M.loc.loc, src))
//stuff
In response to Garthor
Garthor wrote:
The dynamic lighting system was almost certainly splitting a single instance of an area into multiple instances, and giving each one a different "darkness" icon to achieve the lighting effect. The workaround would be to use istype() to only perform an action if the areas are different, so:

area
> Entered(var/mob/M, var/oldloc)
> if(istype(oldloc, src))
> //stuff
> Exited(var/mob/M)
> // Checking M.loc in case it's null, to avoid an error with M.loc.loc
> if(M.loc && istype(M.loc.loc, src))
> //stuff

I forgot to add the check for "null" so it was spitting out errors when I tried to make such things. With such a simple check it works :).

Thank you very much.