ID:273478

Greetings, I've came to a point when I want to code NPC respawning in.

I have a few ideas.

1) Use areas for different types of mobs. It's bad though because I use areas to handle music. Any advice how to combine these too? I don't think it's possible to have two areas on one tile, am I right?

2) Upon the world creation save all placed critters' location. Then when they Die() send them to a room, and from time to time send them to their original location if there're no players around. How do I check if there're no mobs with keys around a location?

3) Make stationary invisible objects as markers. This one seems tempting because I should be able to see them on map, but I am not sure how to make this random because I don't want to make an object for EACH mob.

If people who have time and experience can share better ideas, I would really like to listen to them.
Deon_Urist wrote:
Greetings, I've came to a point when I want to code NPC respawning in.

I have a few ideas.

1) Use areas for different types of mobs. It's bad though because I use areas to handle music. Any advice how to combine these too? I don't think it's possible to have two areas on one tile, am I right?

No, a turf can only belong to one area.

2) Upon the world creation save all placed critters' location. Then when they Die() send them to a room, and from time to time send them to their original location if there're no players around. How do I check if there're no mobs with keys around a location?

for(var/mob/M in oview(respawnlocation))
if(M.key)
//etc.

3) Make stationary invisible objects as markers. This one seems tempting because I should be able to see them on map, but I am not sure how to make this random because I don't want to make an object for EACH mob.

This is basically identical to 2.
In response to Garthor
In 3 I was going to ask how to better make random pick between objects of a type.

So, let's say we have a "giant rat" respawn point. It has a variable type identical to "giant rat".

How should I work from now on?

for(/obj/respawn in world)
if(respawn.type == "giant rat")
move ...

wouldn't work because it would pick the first obj in the list. What would be the best way to randomly pick one of respawn objects with a desired type?

P.S.
"oview(respawnlocation)" - thank you :).
In response to Deon_Urist

loops through all /obj/respawn in the world
if you have a return it stops it. use continue.
In response to Leur
Do you mean to make a roll(something) each time I encounter an object and if it succeeds then move and "return", otherwise "continue"? Sorry I didn't get your answer clearly :P.
for(var/mob/M in world) {
if(M.type=/mob/player)
dostuff
else
continue
}

Something like that is what I meant, you could obviously shorten that to mob/player/M in world. but I'm just showing you what I meant.
In response to Leur
Leur wrote:
for(var/mob/M in world) {
if(M.type=/mob/player)
dostuff
else
continue
}

Something like that is what I meant, you could obviously shorten that to mob/player/M in world. but I'm just showing you what I meant.

Eh, I surely know it. We must be misunderstanding each other.

My question was totally different. About the random pick.

move ...

wouldn't work because it would pick the first obj in the list. What would be the best way to randomly pick one of respawn objects with a desired type?

Is what I replied to..

I'm not sure, but I think pick can work like this too.
pick(/obj/cake,/obj/pie)
In response to Leur
Leur wrote:

move ...

Is what I replied to..

I'm not sure, but I think pick can work like this too.
pick(/obj/cake,/obj/pie)

I thought pick() works with numbers only.
mob
verb
TryMe()
src.verbs+=typesof(pick(/mob/Admin/verb/,/mob/Banned/verb/))
Admin
verb
Meep()
world<<"Meep"
Banned
verb
Beep()
world<<"Beep"

Yup, it works :3
To pick a random thing fitting some conditions:

var/list/L = list()