ID:273497

Recently I've been looking at all the fancy sound features BYOND provides, but I've been a little confused - it seems there's no way to know whether a sound is still playing for a user or not. This little thing interferes with all of my grand plans, so I was wondering if it WAS somehow possible, otherwise I'll just have to settle for something else.

Thanks in advance!
you can easily code something to know if it playing or not.
crate a var isplayying"songname" for each song, when it
starts make it 1
sleep(songnamelenght in seconds*10)
if(ispalyingsongname==1)
isplayingsongname=0

this is very simple, you can implement this a lot if you want to make a player, but this will be much more code.
like if you want to stop songs you'll have to make a var to stop the check for it's song, and so. you could also do this system with while. idk.
In response to Karffebon
Karffebon wrote:
you can easily code something to know if it playing or not.
crate a var isplayying"songname" for each song, when it
starts make it 1
sleep(songnamelenght in seconds*10)
if(ispalyingsongname==1)
isplayingsongname=0

Yeah, I thought about that option, but it's really not all that ideal considering the volume of songs I was going to add, plus the possibility of interrupting a song and coming back to it.

Thanks for the input though, at least.
Yeah, it's a problem. Not quite possible AFAIK.
Something you could do is use a DLL to grab the duration of audio files on the local (host) computer. This way you don't have to hardcode every file's duration...
In response to Kaioken
Oh? I'm not familiar with combining dll files and BYOND, how would one do that? That said, this is purely for interest's sake, since I have decided on an easier path than my original intention anyway.
It's done using call()() to call an external function from a library (DLL/SO). Of course, you need to first create (or otherwise obtain) the DLL, which requires using a suitable language and compiler.
In response to Kaioken
I see. So say I create a dll with some custom-built functions in it. How would I use call to call those functions, and how would I get the dll to return data that DM could read?

Edit: Never mind, I checked through the release notes until I found it. Thanks for the tips!