In response to Deadron
Now if we could just get your government to stop censoring things... (Well, heck, really they are my government too, if I ever choose to exercise the "my mother is Canadian" citizenship rights...)

Oohhh CaaaaAAaahnada! Our hoooOOome and naaative laaaaAaaaand! (I think I remember someone signing a petition last time I sang =)
In response to Spuzzum
On 7/5/00 4:37 am Spuzzum wrote:
...irregardless (<-- Z might have a fit, that's why =).

Hey! Hey! Bad! You bad person!

I don't care whether a game censors language or not. I'm an adult, but in my experience, most players of online games are not and most definitely need babysitting, as unfortunate as it is for the GMs. I don't want to have to listen to then run their mouths off all day. And it doesn't impinge on my enjoyment one bit to have to say "oh shoot" instead of cursing. I just don't care. It's not a big deal to me. Censorship is a fact of life, and since as I can always go express myself somewhere else if I choose, I'm fine with it coming from a private enterprise. A game's keeping me from being vulgar isn't hurting me in any way. (My "I'm an adult" argument is more like "I'm an adult, I don't get offended when someone wants me to play nice and follow some rules.")

That said, I'm not blocking words in my game. It seemed pointless to me. Someone tries to swear and it's blocked, they use a clever variant with @'s and *'s and I never catch it. Why not just let them speak and then decide if the context warrants action?

Z
In response to Zilal
I was just thinking that it would be fairly simple to put in a filter for those that want one. It wouldn't catch everything but in an unmoderated formum people won't have to be creative in the firstplace.

Just add in a filter to the Desc() procs that outputs text and replace certain words found in a list with something else.

Just an idea :). I personally don't plan on implementing mechanics to try and regulate things, but I know of players that get their eyes bent out of shape reading it. A simple filter idea could at least assist in keeping these players somewhat content.

- -
In response to Gabriel
Just had someone not want to use a sword with the word "bastard" in it, and I was thinking how funny it would be to have it be a filtered word and show up something like this:

Gabriel draws his *cursing* sword.
Gabriel shakes his *cursing* sword at you!
Gabriel jabs his *cursing* sword at you! The *cursing* sword lands a massive hit that blows away your chest leaving a gaping hole.

Heh! Just thought it was amusing :).

- -
In response to Zilal
Hey! Hey! Bad! You bad person!

Teehee!

I don't care whether a game censors language or not. I'm an adult, but in my experience, most players of online games are not and most definitely need babysitting, as unfortunate as it is for the GMs. I don't want to have to listen to then run their mouths off all day. And it doesn't impinge on my enjoyment one bit to have to say "oh shoot" instead of cursing. I just don't care. It's not a big deal to me. Censorship is a fact of life, and since as I can always go express myself somewhere else if I choose, I'm fine with it coming from a private enterprise. A game's keeping me from being vulgar isn't hurting me in any way. (My "I'm an adult" argument is more like "I'm an adult, I don't get offended when someone wants me to play nice and follow some rules.")

Basically, it draws down to a maturity issue.

That said, I'm not blocking words in my game. It seemed pointless to me. Someone tries to swear and it's blocked, they use a clever variant with @'s and *'s and I never catch it. Why not just let them speak and then decide if the context warrants action?

I thought your world prevents *'s and @'s...

Anyways... actually, my library supports that; @ = a, ! = i, $ = s, etc. Then, it checks the ckey() version to see if it misses anything if they put stuff between letters to avoid filters (like that other guy did on the old forum, "make mo.ney". Of course, if one word began with "it" and another ended with the starting two letters, it might censor it accidentally. I'm trying to find a way to make sure that it doesn't censor it unless there's whitespace between them (eg. if the first letter of the swear word isn't connected to another word, and the last letter isn't connected either). I'll get that library out once I finish the majority of it, and I'll (gasp) premake the censored words library.

(I always thought the vowel sound of swear (the "air" sound) is the weirdest sound in English...)
In response to Gabriel
On 7/6/00 2:37 pm Gabriel wrote:
Just had someone not want to use a sword with the word "bastard" in it, and I was thinking how funny it would be to have it be a filtered word and show up something like this:

Gabriel draws his *cursing* sword.
Gabriel shakes his *cursing* sword at you!
Gabriel jabs his *cursing* sword at you! The *cursing* sword lands a massive hit that blows away your chest leaving a gaping hole.

Heh! Just thought it was amusing :).

- -

For the person on the other end, the *cursing* sword is replaced with something a little more severe... =)
In response to Spuzzum
<>

I prevent some of the over-the-number symbols and allow others. I'm not sure which, offhand.

Z
Page: 1 2