ID:274075

A while back my dad gave me an ancient laptop (16-color display, Windows 3.1, etc.) that was being discarded at work. I didn't have the heart to throw it out, but I didn't have any idea what it could possibly be good for, either, since it has no CD-ROM and I'd rather eat a bug than use Windows 3.1.

Well, today I read an InfoWorld article about NewDeal. It's basically a Win95 imitator, with a word processor, spreadsheet, etc... except the whole thing is only about 10 MB (6 MB download, small enough to zip onto 4 floppies) and, supposedly, runs decently even on a 286 (I think the laptop I tried it on is a 486, and it's quite responsive). I'm planning to order the registered version this weekend.

No, I'm not being paid to announce this. :) Just thought it was really neat, especially since my dad asked me just the other day if I'd done anything with the laptop yet...

(Also, it supposedly will run in tandem with Windows if you don't want to give up Microsoft... haven't tried it on my main PC yet, though.)
Actually thats useful information to me. My dad is a teacher and the schools throw out old laptops sometimes and he brings them home and i was never able to do all that much on them since its windows 3.1 and it had no cd-rom but with this program i could actually use it for stuff. Thanks for the info.