ID:274085

Anyone tried the new features yet? I was going to last night, but got caught up in some other stuff and forgot completely. I'm eager to see how the rotation works...
On 8/22/00 12:51 pm Guy T. wrote:
Anyone tried the new features yet? I was going to last night, but got caught up in some other stuff and forgot completely. I'm eager to see how the rotation works...

I used the new Oval feature just a few minutes ago. It won't replace using Paint Shop Pro or Blender, obviously, but it was helpful for getting a quick prototype image in place.

Also when I added the extra 4 directions to my bullet, I found it easy to flip images around and adjust them as necessary -- so I think the icon editor is coming along.
In response to Deadron
On 8/22/00 1:00 pm Deadron wrote:

I used the new Oval feature just a few minutes ago. It won't replace using Paint Shop Pro or Blender, obviously, but it was helpful for getting a quick prototype image in place.

Also when I added the extra 4 directions to my bullet, I found it easy to flip images around and adjust them as necessary -- so I think the icon editor is coming along.

I like the new color palette. It's a lot easier to handle, and it is easier to convert .dmis into .bmps for other games that way (yes, I use .dmis to .bmps for a few of my favorite games, actually).

The rotation isn't as good as I would have liked, but I don't think there is a much better solution when it comes to approximating pixels on a 32x32 grid. It also rotates within the selection-box, which isn't always ideal but turned out to be much easier to implement.

But of course good icons may be designed in programs meant for this sort of thing (I like PSP). The best new feature is the ability to cut & paste, which should make working with these other programs much easier.

And Zilal must comment on the new palette-selection box. If that ain't noticeable, I'm quitting!
In response to Tom H.
And Zilal must comment on the new palette-selection box. If that ain't noticeable, I'm quitting!

My opinion doesn't count? Darn, I feel inferior. =)
In response to Tom H.
On 8/22/00 4:26 pm Tom H. wrote:

I Think It Is Great!!! Thank's You Guy's!!!

I did pop in to the icon editor, though I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Someone should convince me to make a Sheep III.

Z
In response to Zilal
I did pop in to the icon editor, though I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Someone should convince me to make a Sheep III.

Zilal, make a Sheep III, or I'll totally abandon Cerulea! (Convincing enough? =)
In response to Tom H.
The rotation isn't as good as I would have liked, but I don't think there is a much better solution when it comes to approximating pixels on a 32x32 grid.

I used the icon editor last night and was so engrossed in the task at hand that I didn't even try the rotation. Drat!

But of course good icons may be designed in programs meant for this sort of thing (I like PSP). The best new feature is the ability to cut & paste, which should make working with these other programs much easier.

Didn't test this yet either, but given that you've tried it with PSP, I should be all set because that's what I use too!

For whoever might be interested, you can convert a graphic to a BYOND-sized icon with just a few clicks. Save it as BMP if it isn't already (or build up a big directory of images, then convert them to BMP all at once with the "batch conversion" option); resize it so the larger dimension is 32 pixels (or whatever you like); set the canvas size to 32x32; and reduce color depth to 256. And PSP remembers how each of these options was used last, so after the first one, it's just a matter of three or four mouse clicks.

It's nice to have a more organized scheme. I was just thinking about that a day or two before you hinted that it was on the way!

My only beef, which is a minor one indeed, is that I'd probably find it quicker to use if the color bars of the same general type were together -- in other words, since each subsection in the palette seems to follow the same general order (row of red fading to yellow, etc.), it seems like it would make sense to keep the same basic rows but just rearrange them a little. E.g.:

New (current) Scheme
A1 A2 A3 A4...
B1 B2 B3 B4...
C1 C2 C3 C4...
D1 D2 D3 D4...
Aw Ax Ay Az...
Bw Bx By Bz...
Cw Cx Cy Cz...
Dw Dx Dy Dz...
(etc.)

Extra-Friendly Scheme
A1 A2 A3 A4...
Aw Ax Ay Az...
(etc.)
B1 B2 B3 B4...
Bw Bx By Bz...
(etc.)
C1 C2 C3 C4...
Cw Cx Cy Cz...
(etc.)
D1 D2 D3 D4...
Dw Dx Dy Dz...
(etc.)

This would make it easier to focus in on a single general group and then just look around in a small area for the exact shade of DUNG green you need. But, like I said, that's just a minor thing!

(On the other hand, it's possible that if they were all together, it would actually be harder to pick the shade you need because of the lack of contrast... so I could be all wet here.)
In response to Guy T.
Yikes, it's 6:00 already? And in your time it's 9:00? Well, looks like I pulled another all-nighter. =P

Could somebody hit me somehow (no, I don't care how) to knock some sense into me?

That said, I'm going to bed. Hey, that rhymes. "That said, I'm going to bed." "That said, I'm going to bed." Er... can you tell I'm tired? =)
In response to Guy T.
On 8/23/00 6:05 am Guy T. wrote:

It's nice to have a more organized scheme. I was just thinking about that a day or two before you hinted that it was on the way!

Heh. Actually I was just referring to the silly little color-selection highlight box that Zilal complained about not being able to notice. The new palette came about because Dan balked (incidentally, the old palette was a random screen capture of the colors on my outdated '88 VGA monitor .. scientific, indeed).

My only beef, which is a minor one indeed, is that I'd probably find it quicker to use if the color bars of the same general type were together -- in other words, since each subsection in the palette seems to follow the same general order (row of red fading to yellow, etc.), it seems like it would make sense to keep the same basic rows but just rearrange them a little.

Agreed. This is a slighty tricky problem, though, because we have to represent 3D values on a 2D grid. The dimensions of the grid (12x18) aren't suited for the conversion (6x36 would be better), but that's not an excuse: it can be better.

[Edited]

Okay, it wasn't so tricky. I was lazy before. Looks better now. Good call.
In response to Spuzzum
On 8/23/00 2:22 am Spuzzum wrote:
Zilal, make a Sheep III, or I'll totally abandon Cerulea! (Convincing enough? =)

The idea I have for Sheep III (a Rhodes clone) would certainly require very little coding, unless I figured a way to make it multiplayer. Maybe someday when I get bored with writing Cerulea.

Z