ID:274086

Amazing.

The new manuals showed up today. We spent some time proofing the drafts, but I knew that the minute I got my hands on the finished copy I would find an error right away. It's just how life works.

So I grabbed a book, opened up, and, what do you know, in the very first paragraph of the very first section (the Forward) there is a sentence with not one, but two glaring typos! Aaaaagh!

Fortunately it gets better. I haven't found any other problems yet. I figure it's just the law of maximum screwage. At least no pages are upside-down or anything. That was my larger fear :)

We'll have a page to order the books soon.

End rant.
On 8/30/00 11:17 am Tom H. wrote:
Amazing.

The new manuals showed up today. We spent some time proofing the drafts, but I knew that the minute I got my hands on the finished copy I would find an error right away. It's just how life works.

Very glad to hear the books are here! My day job has been in technical publications for most of a decade now, and I can say with authority that your experience is not Murphy's Law, it is a physical law of the universe.

Never in history has an author received the final too-late-to-fix version of a book without discovering a glaring error within 2 seconds. Just hasn't happened.

A little tip though that you might consider for future versions of the documentation to catch major errors (not typos though): Do a full review of the draft holding it upside down.

Your eyes will be opened to all sorts of things that we normally gloss over.
So I grabbed a book, opened up, and, what do you know, in the very first paragraph of the very first section (the Forward) there is a sentence with not one, but two glaring typos! Aaaaagh!

Was one of them "Forward" instead of "Foreword"? (Sorry, I know that was jerkish but I couldn't resist. :)

My condolences. But actually, this is a *good* thing, because it just enhances the collector's value of the first edition!
In response to Guy T.
On 8/30/00 12:54 pm Guy T. wrote:

Was one of them "Forward" instead of "Foreword"? (Sorry, I know that was jerkish but I couldn't resist. :)

No it wasn't. Now there are three glaring errors. I think I'll go kill myself now.

My condolences. But actually, this is a *good* thing, because it just enhances the collector's value of the first edition!

That's one way to look at it! As you can tell, me is a Englitch mayjor.

In response to Tom H.

No it wasn't. Now there are three glaring errors.

Oof... now I really do feel jerkish.

But on the bright side, it's perfectly appropriate; you have to go Forward into the BYOND! Your readers will probably see it exactly that way.
In response to Guy T.
On 8/30/00 1:40 pm Guy T. wrote:

But on the bright side, it's perfectly appropriate; you have to go Forward into the BYOND! Your readers will probably see it exactly that way.

Maybe people will assume we just don't know how to spell. I mean we mess up "beyond" about a million times. The forward/foreword fiasco is minor compared to that.

[edited -- heh, I misspelled foreword!]
In response to Guy T.
On 8/30/00 1:40 pm Guy T. wrote:
Oof... now I really do feel jerkish.

Don't feel too jerkish. I was going to point it out too, but then I saw you beat me to it.

I humbly offer my services as a manuscript proofreader. Only $35 an hour.

Z