ID:274091

In a half hour or so(4PM PST, 7PM EST, 1AM GMT (I think)), we will be meeting up in the hub (I guess) for another game session. This is a great opportunity for those of you with games online to get some multiplayer testing. It's also a lot of fun-- lots of great personalities in this community.

Hope to see you there!
On 9/10/00 3:17 pm Tom H. wrote:
In a half hour or so(4PM PST, 7PM EST, 1AM GMT (I think)), we will be meeting up in the hub (I guess) for another game session. This is a great opportunity for those of you with games online to get some multiplayer testing. It's also a lot of fun-- lots of great personalities in this community.

Hope to see you there!

I may be a FEW moments late -- my attention is being demanded elsewhere for a bit.

Hope to see you there!

Actually, it's 12 AM GMT; 1 AM GMT in Sweden. Or 2 AM, but I think Norway and Sweden are on the same time. I could always be corrected, though.

In response to Spuzzum
On 9/10/00 5:03 pm Spuzzum wrote:

Hope to see you there!

Actually, it's 12 AM GMT; 1 AM GMT in Sweden. Or 2 AM, but I think Norway and Sweden are on the same time. I could always be corrected, though.

As it happens we spent a bunch of time playing Sneak. Fun game!

In response to Deadron
On 9/10/00 6:48 pm Deadron wrote:

Yup. We also played L&D and had another Sheep war that Guy T. managed to win. As usual, a few bugs made themselves present (ask Spuzz), but for most of us I would say it was a successful evening.

This is a great opportunity for designers to showcase their multiplayer games, as there have been quite a few people at both sessions thusfar. I'll try to debut something of my own next weekend or the weekend after that, pending the number of "suggestions" in this forum.

Thanks to all that attended!
In response to Tom H.

Yup. We also played L&D and had another Sheep war that Guy T. managed to win. As usual, a few bugs made themselves present (ask Spuzz), but for most of us I would say it was a successful evening.

It was a great time. All three of the games were delightful (though I'm terrible at multiplayer L&D; Lwen worked me over real good). I hope to be there next week, same BYOND-time, same BYOND-channel...
In response to Guy T.
On 9/10/00 7:23 pm Guy T. wrote:
It was a great time. All three of the games were delightful (though I'm terrible at multiplayer L&D; Lwen worked me over real good).

I think I killed you twice in a row as Lwen. Even then I thought it was cruel, but I was too lazy to walk to another target.

In Sheep II, I was pleased how the "queueing" process worked too. But there are still bugs! Maybe a person can tell that I made the game single-player first and threw in multiplayer later (and that I did everything before I had the grasp of DM that I do now).

Z
In response to Zilal
On 9/10/00 8:24 pm Zilal wrote:
In Sheep II, I was pleased how the "queueing" process worked too. But there are still bugs! Maybe a person can tell that I made the game single-player first and threw in multiplayer later (and that I did everything before I had the grasp of DM that I do now).

Actually I wouldn't figure out that it wasn't designed for multi-player. To me that seems remarkably smooth.

The only problems I saw were:

- The very annoying problem of placing an arrow and having it end up on another square because you clicked on a moving sheep. Often you can work around this with careful timing, but once I needed to quickly lay three coordinated arrows and ALL THREE landed in the wrong place. That was depressing, as my sheep went spiralling down a hole (or, or more likely, through Zilal's exit door).

- The, uh, eclectic scoring system. Not that I minded getting high scores while only being a spectator!

I continue to think the game is a remarkably well-integrated collection of concepts, graphics, and sounds.
In response to Deadron
On 9/10/00 10:21 pm Deadron wrote:

- The very annoying problem of placing an arrow and having it end up on another square because you clicked on a moving sheep. Often you can work around this with careful timing, but once I needed to quickly lay three coordinated arrows and ALL THREE landed in the wrong place. That was depressing, as my sheep went spiralling down a hole (or, or more likely, through Zilal's exit door).

Yes, this one must be fixed. At first I suspected that it was Zilal's fault. Then I thought about it a bit and figured that, ok, it probably wasn't her fault but she could provide some sort of hack. Then I thought about it more and concluded that, given how we handle Click() events, there really wasn't anything she could do. Could it really be our fault entirely? Denial isn't healthy.

So I've posed the question for Dan and hopefully he'll be able to fix the order of events transparently. If not, we can definitely have another way to access the correct location information.
In response to Tom H.
On 9/10/00 10:50 pm Tom H. wrote:
At first I suspected that it was Zilal's fault. Then I thought about it a bit and figured that, ok, it probably wasn't her fault but she could provide some sort of hack. Then I thought about it more and concluded that, given how we handle Click() events, there really wasn't anything she could do. Could it really be our fault entirely? Denial isn't healthy.

I believe the next stage is bargaining.

"Zilal, you won't need this if we give you natural language expansion parsing, right?"
In response to Tom H.
So I've posed the question for Dan and hopefully he'll be able to fix the order of events transparently. If not, we can definitely have another way to access the correct location information.

Hmm, how 'bout something like this:

before: obj/proc/Click(Panel)

after: obj/proc/Click(Panel, x, y, z)

...where x, y, and z are the map coordinates the user clicked on. This way you'd get the best of both worlds: the src would know its current position, but it could also know where the user clicked.
In response to Guy T.

...where x, y, and z are the map coordinates the user clicked on. This way you'd get the best of both worlds: the src would know its current position, but it could also know where the user clicked.

Hmm... on the other hand, maybe not, because how would a click register on the object in the first place? Oh well...
In response to Guy T.
On 9/10/00 11:27 pm Guy T. wrote:

Hmm... on the other hand, maybe not, because how would a click register on the object in the first place? Oh well...

No, it's a good suggestion. It could just happen like so:

client/Click(loc,panel,x,y,z)

which gets propogated to the objects anyway.

In other words, the client-side click would immediately get the location and coordinate info and send that to the server, which at some point later will call Click() with the initial values. At this point, the loc may not be at (x,y,z), but at least you'll have the originial point-of-click.
In response to Deadron
- The, uh, eclectic scoring system. Not that I minded getting high scores while only being a spectator!

I can't think of any way you could be getting points as a spectator. Anyone else seen this? All I can think is that maybe the stat panels were messed up.

I believe the next stage is bargaining.

"Zilal, you won't need this if we give you natural language expansion parsing, right?"

Hey, my own pseudoparsing hack works pretty well. What I'm really itching for is tab stops! (Preferably with the \t macro that was supposed to provide them in the first place, so I don't have to change any of my code.)

Z
In response to Deadron
On 9/10/00 6:48 pm Deadron wrote:

Too bad I couldn't be there. And my new math-class starts on... Guess what: Monday 8 am. It can be hard for me to meet up with you guys and girls. But I'll try.

/Andreas

In response to Zilal
On 9/11/00 8:59 am Zilal wrote:

I can't think of any way you could be getting points as a spectator. Anyone else seen this? All I can think is that maybe the stat panels were messed up.

My guess is that some loop is mis-identifying people. I don't know if I actually got the score, but I did get a prompt asking for my name, and then Tom got kicked out of the game for not saving any of his sheep when he was sure he had saved one.

So my impression was that the game thought I was Tom.

Also, I noticed that it would announce several times in a row that someone had lost the round -- it looked to me like it was possibly being announced once for each player in the game.
In response to Guy T.
It was a great time. All three of the games were delightful (though I'm terrible at multiplayer L&D; Lwen worked me over real good). I hope to be there next week, same BYOND-time, same BYOND-channel...

I look forward to it too, if the damn thing'll let me connect... =P
In response to Spuzzum

Yes, it was disappointing not having you there after the first few minutes. Have you managed to connect at all since then?
In response to Guy T.
On 9/11/00 12:11 pm Guy T. wrote:

Yes, it was disappointing not having you there after the first few minutes. Have you managed to connect at all since then?

I gave up the computer to let my brother on. =)

And now, I'm at school, which doesn't have BYOND installed (plus, its policy not to install anything, so I'm not allowed to download it and the computer is designed not to accept it...).