ID:274093

Hey just posting because I haven't in a while...Was gone for quite some time due to a retarded roomate and an attempt of hers to get a new phoneline...without the help of the phone company... Still working on this coding thing... Took some time to start a look into C++, again. It all makes a lot of sense and things are so much easier. Helps a WHOLE lot. I've seen some new(to me at least) names posting and would like to suggest this to them. Get a C++ book. Steal it from the library or Office Depot or whatever. I'm not sure if it is a step forward or back but it results in a lot less headaches.

Labeled Dropout

P.S. Has Cerulea become insanely popular yet?
On 9/17/00 1:09 am Labeled Dropout wrote:
Hey just posting because I haven't in a while...Was gone for quite some time due to a retarded roomate and an attempt of hers to get a new phoneline...without the help of the phone company... Still working on this coding thing... Took some time to start a look into C++, again. It all makes a lot of sense and things are so much easier. Helps a WHOLE lot. I've seen some new(to me at least) names posting and would like to suggest this to them. Get a C++ book. Steal it from the library or Office Depot or whatever. I'm not sure if it is a step forward or back but it results in a lot less headaches.

Depends. If you don't know C++, and you're trying to learn BYOND, getting a book about C++, which is similar but still quite different, might be counterproductive, because then you'd be trying to learn two things at once. =P

P.S. Has Cerulea become insanely popular yet?

Nope, because it's still a private beta. Once Zilal starts working on it (when she gets back from her vacation, no doubt), and she deems it ready, she'll start advertising it.

It's insanely popular to me, at least. But I don't count. =)
I've seen some new(to me at least) names posting and would like to suggest this to them. Get a C++ book. Steal it from the library or Office Depot or whatever. I'm not sure if it is a step forward or back but it results in a lot less headaches.

Personally, my recommendation for newbies is to order the Dream Maker book from the "products" link over on the left-hand frame there! :)

It interests me a lot, though, that reading about C++ helps you understand DM. It makes sense, because the languages are syntactically similar; but it's just the reverse of how it worked in my case. I've worked with C, C++, and Java-- though none of them extensively-- and found them to be full of restrictions and quirks that made it very slow to learn or use them. (Java is much more "learnable" than C++ in my opinion, but still can be irritating.)

When I've needed to use Java in recent months, it goes much more smoothly thanks to all those hours of tinkering with DM. I have a better feel for the syntax and a much better conception of good object-oriented design. So, to me at least, the idea of understanding DM by learning C++ first seems kind of like learning small engine repair by getting a degree in mechanical engineering. :)

Anyway, whatever works to help you learn DM is a good thing, so keep it up!
In response to Guy T.
On 9/17/00 5:49 am Guy T. wrote:

Personally, my recommendation for newbies is to order the Dream Maker book from the "products" link over on the left-hand frame there! :)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The Guy is good. The Guy is wise. Do as he says.

In all seriousness, a good knowledge of C++ is very useful to learning DM, since the languages have similar syntax. But if you know neither language, I would suggest learning them in the reverse order-- DM, then C++ -- because DM, by its nature, alllows you to do the specific operations of game building much more readily than C++ by sacrificing some of the generality of a "standard" language. And, of course, DM has the best customer support team (the people here) on the planet!
In response to Tom H.
On 9/17/00 9:13 am Tom H. wrote:
On 9/17/00 5:49 am Guy T. wrote:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The Guy is good. The Guy is wise. Do as he says.

"The Guy who discovered the atom is a verbal genious in my opinion." -- Dan

That's a quote from the book, people! But you have to get the book to find it! =)

In all seriousness, a good knowledge of C++ is very useful to learning DM, since the languages have similar syntax. But if you know neither language, I would suggest learning them in the reverse order-- DM, then C++ -- because DM, by its nature, alllows you to do the specific operations of game building much more readily than C++ by sacrificing some of the generality of a "standard" language.

Yep. I learned C++ (or part of it, anyway) because I wanted to make my own games. Well, after about day 5 in the tutorial book, I was almost totally lost. I wondered how the hell anyone could make something out of that.

Taking the easy way out, I typed in "game maker" in AltaVista. A bunch of links came up. Hidden among them was a tasty treat known as DUNG. Er, ignore that last sentence.

But anyways, DM has expanded my knowledge of C++ practically ten fold. Stuff that looked outrageously obscure now appears to me as second nature.

And, of course, DM has the best customer support team (the people here) on the planet!

Amen to that! Though you're technically referring to us, you can't discount yourselves. I've never seen anyone as devoted to fixing the errors in their program (or even just to finish the program itself). You also kind of know us as friends and colleagues, rather than "potential customers". That's something to be proud of!
In response to Spuzzum
Taking the easy way out, I typed in "game maker" in AltaVista. A bunch of links came up. Hidden among them was a tasty treat known as DUNG. Er, ignore that last sentence.

I've been chuckling at that for over a minute...

Amen to that! Though you're technically referring to us, you can't discount yourselves. I've never seen anyone as devoted to fixing the errors in their program (or even just to finish the program itself). You also kind of know us as friends and colleagues, rather than "potential customers". That's something to be proud of!

You know what it is? They're benevolent extraterrestrials. Look at the cover of the book! The clues are everywhere, man!