ID:274100

It was another fun GoB. Theodis and I went to L&D; as we were about to begin, Dan came in, and in no time he made into onto the hunter scoreboard. I even saved a lone citizen myself.

We moved on to SpaceTug and quickly uncovered a host of "misfeatures", but otherwise it went fine. (Until I started getting bad lag; but it didn't seem to be affecting anyone else much. I'm hoping it's just an Akron-area problem. No, wait, I'm hoping it's a Dantom problem-- that way I could have some confidence that it would be fixed.)

Frankomatic logged in and we killed everyone by depressurizing the ship, which had the amusing side-effect of locking up Dream Seeker (it never happens on my machine, honest). The game rebooted and, probably within a minute of the start of the game, Frankomatic killed off the critter. If that happens too often, I'll have to tweak some settings.

Anyway, it was a fun evening, and I weep for those who could not attend. :)
On 10/1/00 8:35 pm Guy T. wrote:
It was another fun GoB. Theodis and I went to L&D; as we were about to begin, Dan came in, and in no time he made into onto the hunter scoreboard. I even saved a lone citizen myself.

Sorry I couldn't be there -- was out getting a new cell phone and seeing Almost Famous.

What do you think of the new icon for the cops in L&D?

(Honest answers only!)
In response to Deadron
What do you think of the new icon for the cops in L&D?
(Honest answers only!)

I like it! Honest, I do.

It would make a cute wind-up toy, too! :)

Anyway, it was a fun evening, and I weep for those who could not attend. :)

I would've come, but I rented The Sims from a hobby store and played that all night. And Driver too... both are really fun games.

Looking forward to fiddling with BYOND when I get home...
In response to Spuzzum
I would've come, but I rented The Sims from a hobby store and played that all night. And Driver too... both are really fun games.

I have Driver for the PSX and I love it. It may be my favorite game for the system. Sometimes my friends and I just take turns going through the "take a drive" mode and seeing what happens. Our rule is: when you see a police car at a stoplight, pull up beside him carefully, then squeal your tires and let him eat your dust. That shows him you mean business. :)

(Disclaimer: do not try this in real life. As if I could possibly burn rubber with my car.)

I've been sorely tempted to pick up The Sims, but I have this feeling that it would wear thin real fast. Could be wrong, though.

In response to Guy T.
On 10/2/00 8:48 pm Guy T. wrote:

I have Driver for the PSX and I love it. It may be my favorite game for the system. Sometimes my friends and I just take turns going through the "take a drive" mode and seeing what happens. Our rule is: when you see a police car at a stoplight, pull up beside him carefully, then squeal your tires and let him eat your dust. That shows him you mean business. :)

You pull up beside him? I rear-end him, ram him into a tree, THEN squeal my tires! =)

I rented the PSX version too, so my brother could play The Sims while I played this, and vice versa. My favorite mode is Driving Games -> Pursuit... I can now usually bash that other car to bits in less than 30 seconds. And there's no cops to make my life difficult. =)

(Disclaimer: do not try this in real life. As if I could possibly burn rubber with my car.)

Now, now, you know the rule... if you meet eyes, you have to race. Especially cops. =)

I've been sorely tempted to pick up The Sims, but I have this feeling that it would wear thin real fast.

Heck no. As I'm sure Deadron would agree, its an awesome game with lots and lots and lots of exciting challenges. If you've played SimCity 2000 or 3000, you'll know that you don't just build a small city and then mess with micromanagement... you make it bigger and better! Only in this case, its with houses and families. Though I wish my bratty little kid would take out the trash without being told (hey, at least he's getting an A+ in school... I must be doing something right).

(I couldn't help it... my family name is "Bigglesworth". I couldn't stop thinking of Austin Powers after you said that joke. "And when Tom gets upset, Mr. Bigglesworth gets angry. And when Mr. Bigglesworth gets angry... people die!" =)
In response to Spuzzum
On 10/3/00 12:47 pm Spuzzum wrote:
I've been sorely tempted to pick up The Sims, but I have this feeling that it would wear thin real fast.

Heck no. As I'm sure Deadron would agree, its an awesome game with lots and lots and lots of exciting challenges. If you've played SimCity 2000 or 3000, you'll know that you don't just build a small city and then mess with micromanagement... you make it bigger and better!

Actually, these sorts of games are things I tend to try a few times, then drift on. I like designing and writing this type of game more than playing them. My partner, though, can spend lots of time with this sort of game.
In response to Deadron
Actually, these sorts of games are things I tend to try a few times, then drift on. I like designing and writing this type of game more than playing them. My partner, though, can spend lots of time with this sort of game.

Oh, well, I stand corrected. You were buzzing about it a while back, though! =)

That idea for a "broadcast" oriented system in BYOND would be an excellent development... is that by any chance what you implemented into L&D, or is that just an idea presented for other designers?
In response to Spuzzum
On 10/3/00 1:52 pm Spuzzum wrote:
That idea for a "broadcast" oriented system in BYOND would be an excellent development... is that by any chance what you implemented into L&D, or is that just an idea presented for other designers?

Oops I missed this post (insert standard rant about threaded conversations here) --

L&D has a little bit of the broadcast model, though not very sophisticated. For example, when you step on a merchant, the items available to buy are determined by the zone and your contents. Each item in your contents reports on things that can be bought for it, as does the zone -- so you can't buy bullets until you have a gun, for example. The nice thing about this is that the merchant code is completely generic -- if a plasma staple gun is added to the game, the merchants will start offering you plasma staples with no extra programming.

I would like to implement the real deal sometime...probably in my next crack at an RPG game. I've determined that I'll never probably do a full RPG (unless someone is financing it or something) -- it's just too damn much work for one person, if it's a graphical game and you want to have complex stuff going on.

HOWEVER, I do want some form of RPG...my equivalent of a BYOND home will probably be a small RPG that I grow very slowly and which will support this kind of broadcast model. Of course, if I do work on this I'll try to make it into a library.