ID:274105

Where to begin?

* The dantom server crashed a couple of times to delay things at the beginning. Then it crashed again later on to preempt the game.

* Poor Guy T. never managed to make it.

* The hub crashed a bunch of times while trying to upload some world links.

* I was the invincible Lwen in LivingDead (although it was still fun).

* Spuzzum and I destroyed our castle right away in CTF, making us quite the fodder for rats.

On the plus side, if Theodis really was hosting CTF from a 56K modem, I must say that the speed was encouraging.
On 10/8/00 5:26 pm Tom H. wrote:
Where to begin?

* The dantom server crashed a couple of times to delay things at the beginning. Then it crashed again later on to preempt the game.

* The hub crashed a bunch of times while trying to upload some world links.

* Spuzzum and I destroyed our castle right away in CTF, making us quite the fodder for rats.

On the plus side, if Theodis really was hosting CTF from a 56K modem, I must say that the speed was encouraging.

He was, but it was also on a 550 MHz. Then again, mine is 650 MHz, so its not too uncommon.

You mean it's over? I'm still trying to get in!

I did get a few messages from you guys in the Hub at one point, but that just made it more frustrating...

Right now I'm trying to upload a new SpaceTug version, and it's taking forever. And the BYOND Forum is taking a long time to bring up pages too. But if I open MSIE and try to visit pages I *know* aren't in my cache, they load fairly promptly. Which suggests a few possibilities:

1) Troubles with the server.
2) Trouble with the Internet between Ohio and California.
3) My ISP, and my backup free ISP's, are limiting non-WorldWideWeb connections somehow (though that wouldn't explain the Forum delays).
4) The FBI hasn't worked all the bugs out of Carnivore yet.

Yes... in the past I've tried some things that I never would've expected to work over a dialup line, and they worked just fine. (Heck, I did that as recently as this morning, after reading your note about success with the vacuum.) Once things start behaving normally again, BYOND should run like clockwork!
In response to Guy T.
On 10/8/00 5:42 pm Guy T. wrote:

You mean it's over? I'm still trying to get in!

As it turns out, it's still going. I thought it ended when I didn't see Spuzz on my pager (not sure why that is, as he is online and his pager is on). We are at byond://CTF right now.

I'm not having any trouble with this website or our machine at dantom.com, though. The host process ("Pager on") has been giving us fits though.

That really annoyed me -- it was a 2 second to fix thing, and I've posted the fix.

A lot of hours to end up with a stupid bug -- oh well, now the new level is up anyway.
In response to Deadron
On 10/8/00 6:04 pm Deadron wrote:

That really annoyed me -- it was a 2 second to fix thing, and I've posted the fix.

A lot of hours to end up with a stupid bug -- oh well, now the new level is up anyway.

Cool deal. I'll be glad to test it with you; just contact me with a time. We owe Guy T another GoB this week anyway.
In response to Tom H.
Cool deal. I'll be glad to test it with you; just contact me with a time. We owe Guy T another GoB this week anyway.

Sounds good! I wonder if maybe, at least for the next few days, we could all try to do a nightly GoB and see if we can shake out some of the quirks. (Actually I imagine that more and more, this will become a regular routine [is that redundant?]. Since I usually spend at least 3 of 5 weeknights working on BYOND anyway, there's no reason why I couldn't hook up to the Hub... Dantom, any chance you could add a little beep to notify of logins or "say" commands?)

I figure if I aimed for 10 pm EST, that would work out to 7 pm PST for you decadent Californians and Coquitlamites, which might at least give you time to wolf down dinner before connecting. Any takers?

(Now that I think of it, tomorrow night I'll be busy, but that's no reason for anyone else to wait 'til Tuesday.)
In response to Guy T.
On 10/8/00 8:28 pm Guy T. wrote:
I wonder if maybe, at least for the next few days, we could all try to do a nightly GoB and see if we can shake out some of the quirks. (Actually I imagine that more and more, this will become a regular routine [is that redundant?]. Since I usually spend at least 3 of 5 weeknights working on BYOND anyway...I figure if I aimed for 10 pm EST, that would work out to 7 pm PST for you decadent Californians and Coquitlamites, which might at least give you time to wolf down dinner before connecting. Any takers?

I can spend some time a couple of days a week. ICQ is often the best way to coordinate. I'm 21439620.
In response to Guy T.
On 10/8/00 8:28 pm Guy T. wrote:

Sounds good! I wonder if maybe, at least for the next few days, we could all try to do a nightly GoB and see if we can shake out some of the quirks.

That's a good idea. Why don't we try a Tu-Th-Su format for a little while. Even if only two or three people show up it's usually worth it to the game-designer (and us) to get in that little bit of multiplayer testing.

With the new web system it will be much easier to keep track of these kinds of things, I hope.

Remind me on Tuesday, and I'll hang around the hub.
I came, but... couldn't find anyone in any of the games, and no one showed up on my pager. Did you guys switch times?

Z
In response to Zilal
On 10/10/00 10:33 pm Zilal wrote:
I came, but... couldn't find anyone in any of the games, and no one showed up on my pager. Did you guys switch times?

Z

Turns out it was 10 EST -- which bit me too.

However, your pager is probably wonky, given that Tom and I are online and I've been sitting in L&D since 10 PST...