ID:274150

Let this be a warning to those of you who think it would be cool to have your own Internet domain name...

Remember when I went on vacation a month ago? Well, right before I did that, I sent in a fax request, with a utility bill and copy of my driver's license, to Network Solutions. The fax was required because the email address they have for me is no longer valid. So I faxed it in.

About a week and a half later, I got a reply that my request couldn't be honored because I couldn't change a contact to have the same address as another contact. Instead, I'd have to send in a new request using the existing contact number. Fine. I did it. Two weeks later--today--I get this:

Your fax request was received, however, we have noticed the
following problems. The sections marked by an "X" are missing
information or have been incorrectly completed. Please make the
necessary corrections and resubmit your request.

__X__ The authorization letter should be on the organization's
letterhead as stated in our database.

__X__ The authorization letter was not signed by an individual
with the authorization to legally bind the registrant.
This authority is generally held by an officer of the company,
or someone with one of the following titles: Owner, Chief Executive
Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Operations Officer,
President, Senior Vice President, Vice President,
Director, General Manager, General Partner, Managing Director,
Sole Proprietor, Treasurer.

So now I have to re-send the exact same fax, except I have to make up letterhead and give myself a title.

The moral of the story: DON'T select "mail-from" authentication when you register a domain name.

The moral of the story: DON'T select "mail-from" authentication when you register a domain name.

Personally, I'd say the moral of the story is avoid Network Solutions at all costs. Their service has improved a little since opening up domain registration to other providers (I was amazed that a recent change of nameservers on one of my domains actually went through in a timely manner), but for the most part they still operate like they're a monopoly. Unfortunately, I suppose they still are in the eyes of many people who don't even realize there are alternatives.

Now I register any new domains with OpenSRS affiliates. They provide a common control panel that updates immediately (you still have to wait for the twice daily Internic update), and even if your particular affiliate provider goes under, you can still use the OpenSRS control panel to manage your domain. I recently used npsis.com to register a domain without a hitch, and there are lots of other affiliates out there. My only complaint is that OpenSRS themselves do not provide a comprehensive list of resellers for end users who only want one or two domains.

Hey, here's an idea - maybe Dantom wants to become an affiliate? Domains are $10 each if you register at least 25, and you can charge a little extra to make a few bucks. Tie it in with BYOND hosting for a package deal. Just a thought...
Make you letterhead "God of Universe" and your title "God"
As of 10:30 yesterday morning, the revised fax was sent with a letterhead and an indication that I am the Sole Proprietor. We can expect the next chapter to unfold in a mere 12 to 14 days!
In response to Guy T.
As of 10:30 yesterday morning, the revised fax was sent with a letterhead and an indication that I am the Sole Proprietor. We can expect the next chapter to unfold in a mere 12 to 14 days!

Well, I sent them a status update request and I got back the same letter. So perhaps they never even got the latest fax. Or, more likely, they wiped their heinies with it and laughed and laughed.

Okay. I'll try again Monday. I'd like to try out this EasyDNS that AM mentioned, but it's a catch-22 because I can't do any administration-type stuff like that until I get this worked out with Network Solutions first!