ID:275274

Well, I live in New York and yesterday, I forget what time it was, but the electric went out. Luckily my parents got home. Right now I'm in Northern Pennsylvania near Tioga County. Anyone else here about this?

Ðatacon
Yes, I too live in New York state. My current location is upstate, exit 23 off of the northway and we didn't have power until around 10:00 pm yesterday. I hear that the entire east coast from the Atlantic to Ohio and the eastern coast of Canada had this blackout, but the strange thing was that Glens Falls had power from the afternoon on... so we hung around there all day (Which we usually do to raise hell, but not in broad daylight), the tricky thing was avoiding cops so that we could get to exit 18.

The popular rumor on the radio was that a NiMo near the falls was malfunctioned due to the previous storms we have had, and it seems that is a really major power supply. Oh well, at least it got my girlfriend out of work really early, I was happy for that.

~){en )3ishop~
In response to NeoHaxor
so you think it is storms do you?

you are wrong.

it's aliens, it is all a massive governement consipracy!

you fools, you poor miss guided creatures!

:-D
In response to Mousie_kebabs
That could explain why the moon was crimson colored last night around 10:30...

~){en )3ishop~
In response to NeoHaxor
was it really?
Yes it was, or so it appeared from the area of Glens Falls, New York. It was really creepy but at the same time it was awesome and beautiful. I really wanted a picture of it.

~){en )3ishop~
Don't listen to this mousie... It was me. :)

-Camaro-
In response to NeoHaxor
<cough> i mean of course it was, that was the alien craft! it was abducting, tourists to examine!
In response to NeoHaxor
Yup, we got nailed here in little old Norwalk, Ohio as well... From about 4:30 or so until a little after 9 PM, our power was out...

Of course, that's no big thing, since just July 4th, our power was out for around the same time... But of course, when this all happened, no one knew how long it was going to be out... Luckily it was fixed so soon for us... Some people weren't (and still aren't) as lucky...lol In some metropolitan areas, their water reserves ran out, and without power to run the pumps, they were unable to get more... If that goes on long enough, we've got some huge problems...

The way I understand what happened is that a power grid near Niagra got knocked out for some reason (still up for speculation as to what exactly)... But the reason it ended up affecting so many is that once that one went down, the people supplied by that grid were redirected to the neaghboring power supplies... Of cours,e being summertime, and rather warm, lots and lots of juice was being used for ACs, fans, etc... Well, take an already strained power supply, and add a few more people to it, and it goes out as well... And so on... As more grids went out, the strain increased on those still working, and knocked those out as well, until everything was down in this region...

However, not everything went down... In fact, there were a few cities near here that still had power... This was due to the fact that they are a part of a different power system...they're not hooked into the main grids that the rest of us were... I believe they make their own power, actually, through some co-op... This is probably the case for the other various pockets that still had power last night...

But anyways, it becomes clear that the current system isn't exactly that stable...lol
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
Yup, we got nailed here in little old Norwalk, Ohio as well... From about 4:30 or so until a little after 9 PM, our power was out...

Of course, that's no big thing, since just July 4th, our power was out for around the same time... But of course, when this all happened, no one knew how long it was going to be out... Luckily it was fixed so soon for us... Some people weren't (and still aren't) as lucky...lol In some metropolitan areas, their water reserves ran out, and without power to run the pumps, they were unable to get more... If that goes on long enough, we've got some huge problems...

The way I understand what happened is that a power grid near Niagra got knocked out for some reason (still up for speculation as to what exactly)... But the reason it ended up affecting so many is that once that one went down, the people supplied by that grid were redirected to the neaghboring power supplies... Of cours,e being summertime, and rather warm, lots and lots of juice was being used for ACs, fans, etc... Well, take an already strained power supply, and add a few more people to it, and it goes out as well... And so on... As more grids went out, the strain increased on those still working, and knocked those out as well, until everything was down in this region...

However, not everything went down... In fact, there were a few cities near here that still had power... This was due to the fact that they are a part of a different power system...they're not hooked into the main grids that the rest of us were... I believe they make their own power, actually, through some co-op... This is probably the case for the other various pockets that still had power last night...

But anyways, it becomes clear that the current system isn't exactly that stable...lol

i'm sorry but that is all wrong every last letter! it was aliens! the cripton moon was the alien craft abducting tourist and the reason for the power cut, was that the alien craft was electro magnetic and it was powerd by electro magnetic field there for it gave it life support and other gizmo's like that, it gets it's power from draining other power sources it searches for the one with the right electro magnetic radio waves and it basicaly feeds it's self untill the power source is completly drained, then it sends back down the tourists to say the story that SuperSaiyanGokuX, he must of heard it from one of the tourists, or the tourists told some one else who told some one else who told some one else, it keeps on going untill the whole world belives it!
Ya, I live in Florida though. While you guys were sitting in the dark, I was sort of laughing (hard by the way). It's good to know that Florida produces ALL of its own power except for a few cities up north by the Alabama/Georgia borders. So, if one plant goes out...we'll be redirected to another plant instantaneously. =p
In response to Goku72
That's what the system in the north east was also supposed to do...
I just got the power back 5 minutes ago. Yay. :)
In response to Jon88
It just depends on how much energy is being used by the part that goes out, and the part its borrowing from.
In response to NeoHaxor
Another New Yorker here...Started around 3:00pm
My experience was freaky.. I was reading an article, how some kids computer was possessed, and it would crash...Then reapper, load the internet and automatically go to that site. As ironic as it sounds, my computer crashed as I read that part. The lights dimmed...Ran into my room, got some money, and walked over to the Chinese Restaurant for Shrimp and Broccoli[tasty..]..As I return to my house, I see a car in my driveway. My aunt is at my house, saying that there's a back out and such. So I go over there. The best part, however was at night. We lit fires in the back yard. No one was on the road. So I took my Uncle's Mustang for a cruise around town. I couldn't sleep with it being so hot. So it was around 2:30am when the power came back on, and my eyes open widely. Turned on IO (DigiCable) watched Sorority Boys, and some other movies until 11am. That's basically my experience with "The Blackout of 2003"
In response to XxXSonGokouXxX
XxXSonGokouXxX wrote:
No one was on the road. So I took my Uncle's Mustang for a cruise around town.
What year? I personally prefer the 1st and 2nd generation Mustangs. Anything beyond those years I think look ridiculous or too "granny mobile" style. With an exception to the supposed new generation coming out in mid-2005 (See Here!).
I thought the aliens crashlanded into a powerplant in northern Ohio somewhere. Or maybe a tech there spilled coke on the control panel.
YET another NewYorker. I'm from LongIsland, got my power back at around 2pm. Though I can't be 100% sure because I was at work. When this all started I was at work too. I work at cold stones, and for those who don't know, it's an icecream place. Since we're highly trained mix-masters, the second the power went out we transfered all of our cakes and icecreams into a walkin freezer and sealed it shut. The freezer kept cool at around 24 degress, lucky for the owner. We had to throw out loads of fruits, candies, milk ect. Anyways, if this ever happens again feel free to come to a coldstone near you (we were giving out free icecream yesterday).
In response to Goku72
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure..Looking at models, I'd say it's identical to '90-'95 models.