ID:275590

Has anyone else checked it out? Quite fun to play with. I didnt realize that this could be done on BYOND. O.o
Is he even still on BYOND?
In response to Kunark
Lol. I see him in Chatters a lot. O.o
I didnt realize that this could be done on BYOND. O.o

Uh it's just a lot of individual objects moving up and down changing color according to height. The height looks like it's determined by some trig function. Looks neat but it's not like it's anything overly impressive.
What is it called?
In response to Loduwijk
its called Project of the Day.
In response to Loduwijk
Heh, yeah, he's getting a reputation for doing small, really impressive but totally useless programs. :)

Just some more wasted genious.
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:
Looks neat but it's not like it's anything overly impressive.

BUT, no-one else is doing it, so no-one else know it's possible.

The impressive-ness is that BYOND is capable of doing that at all!
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Heh, yeah, he's getting a reputation for doing small, really impressive but totally useless programs. :)

Just how is it useless? This demo presents a neat possibility for people who might want to have wave effects for a water/ocean-based game.
In response to digitalmouse

There are plenty of things which I know are possible but I don't do. The main reason is that they are pointless and no fun. They're just interesting to look at for a few seconds then it's done. Seems like a waste of effort to me.
In response to Theodis
Pointless?

That shows the 3d capability of Byond.
In response to Thedarkavenger
That shows the 3d capability of Byond.

BYOND doesn't have reasonable 3D capability. Even OFD admits that most of his projects wouldn't run worth anything multiplayer and they are highly limited in singleplayer. Which is the reason you don't see any 3D games on BYOND. The psuedo 3D stuff in which you move in 90 degree turns is much more reasonable but I don't think too many people like those type of dungeon crawls.
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
Foomer wrote:

Just how is it useless? This demo presents a neat possibility for people who might want to have wave effects for a water/ocean-based game.

Have 10+ people in the game, and the server telling each person what to see, and have lots and lots of turfs doing this, and we'd have extreme lag. If they increased the amount of client side processing, it would reduce lag and make games such as 3d viable a bit more.
In response to Critical
I dunno. For a fixed screen board-game it could work out pretty well.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
I dunno. For a fixed screen board-game it could work out pretty well.

400 objs changing pixel offsets at once is a bandwidth nightmare in multiplayer. I made a Missile Command tribute a while ago that ran like a dream in single player, but connect two other clients and it is practically unplayable.

Lummox JR has been working on ways to cut down on the number and size of transmissions involved with changing pixel offsets. Hopefully we can see improvement there soon.
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:

There are plenty of things which I know are possible but I don't do. The main reason is that they are pointless and no fun. They're just interesting to look at for a few seconds then it's done. Seems like a waste of effort to me.

To an experienced programmer who can understand what is going on under the hood and realizes the limitations, it may not be so amazing; but OFD's sort of eye candy can do a lot to promote BYOND to the less technically minded. In particular, when Dantom is promoting the product to potential investors, they should add some of OFD's projects to convince the entrepeneurs that 2D tile based BYOND isn't quite as limiting as it might sound.
In response to Shadowdarke
Shadowdarke wrote:
I made a Missile Command tribute a while ago that ran like a dream in single player, ... *snip*

Well then, release it as single player :P
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
Shadowdarke wrote:
I made a Missile Command tribute a while ago that ran like a dream in single player, ... *snip*

Well then, release it as single player :P

I got frustrated with the multiplayer problems and never finished the game play. You can shoot and the explosions work well, but it's far from a complete game. Should I release an alpha stage game that I don't intend to complete?
In response to Shadowdarke
You should, some could find intrest in what you've done and attempt to create something like it. It's an inspiration for those out there, it's always good to have something decent on the HUB.
Page: 1 2