ID:275785

I have been thinking recently and making plans to create another BYOND Resource site. I know that a lot of people on BYOND cannot pay for BYONDscape as their parents may not let them or some other reason, therefor i wish to create a totally free site for people to donate their libs/demos and have them hosted on the site. Searching through BYOND for demos can be quite annoying, so i plan to archive them in a simple way, i also hope to add free icons for all to use for any game creators that like to go solo but cannot make icons.

What are your opinions?
Would you like to see this?

Also, i plan to review all the games i can in my time and submit them onto the site, also a place for other players to post their opinions on a game.
Goto www.toolkit.com (I think thats it) anyway, it groups certin stuff together, you could have like a CODE section, and then an ICON section, and then like a MUSIC section, exc.

That would be awsome.
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
Goto www.toolkit.com (I think thats it) anyway, it groups certin stuff together, you could have like a CODE section, and then an ICON section, and then like a MUSIC section, exc.

That would be awsome.

Erm, want to explain what this toolkit thing does?
In response to Game sabre
I think he means http://www.flashkit.com. It has tons of resources in several categories.
its just like another programing language, not really all that good, http://www.toolkitzone.com/
Thats the site I messed up on it before, but I think you should group them into categories and allow people to upload there own icons and code, but remember, you should go though about every week and delete useless stuff and or doubles of the icons posted.
In response to Shadowdarke
No actually I ment www.rpgtoolkit.com but still, thanks for the resources ^^
Shadowdarke wrote:
I think he means http://www.flashkit.com. It has tons of resources in several categories.

Hmm. Well the basic idea is i have an archive, with folders for Icons, demos, libs, music. And people can upload things to the site although a site admin would have to check the icons or music or whatever to make sure it isnt just someone trying to fill space with useless junk.

But what i want to know is whether you would visit the site and contribute to the reviews or articles on games and upload any libs, demos, icons or music.
Heck yeah, and I can even give you some shell space once I get my shell server =P

But yeah I would use something like that, but just make sure to have like a category for DMI files and then like another category for like BMP icon files (from like RPG maker and stuff like that.)
Flame Sage wrote:
Heck yeah, and I can even give you some shell space once I get my shell server =P

But yeah I would use something like that, but just make sure to have like a category for DMI files and then like another category for like BMP icon files (from like RPG maker and stuff like that.)

Ok cool, and thanks for the offer for space on the shell, dunno if i will need it though. I just thought that a lot of people dont like paying or cant pay for BYONDscape (although it is cheap) and i decided to make a free site with as many resources as i can. Hopefully i can rent some advertisement space though, hopefully not popups but if the site gets a lot of hits i can put a banner up which can keep the site running.
Game sabre wrote:
But what i want to know is whether you would visit the site and contribute to the reviews or articles on games and upload any libs, demos, icons or music.

I haven't been contributing much of anything lately, even to BYONDscape. When I do, I tend to either just release it openly for free with a blurb in creations or add it to BYONDscape. (You can read several of my BYONDscape articles without a subscription.)

What would really be useful (IMHO) would be a site that indexes all the existing libraries, demos, and perhaps even articles with additional info like reviews, ratings, and subscription settings so that people can easily locate exactly what they are looking for and see how well it stacks up against others in the same category. That way instead of having to check a dozen different sites for information, people would come to your site first to find out where the particular thing they need is.

To stay true to your original intent, you could also provide a place to host the files for anyone creating articles, code, and/or resources that don't have another web host.
Flame Sage wrote:

Yes, let's all upload BMP files to the internet!!1111

...PNGs!

PNG FOR PRESIDENT.

BMP is a waste of valuable space.
Shadowdarke wrote:
Game sabre wrote:

I haven't been contributing much of anything lately, even to BYONDscape. When I do, I tend to either just release it openly for free with a blurb in creations or add it to BYONDscape. (You can read several of my BYONDscape articles without a subscription.)

What would really be useful (IMHO) would be a site that indexes all the existing libraries, demos, and perhaps even articles with additional info like reviews, ratings, and subscription settings so that people can easily locate exactly what they are looking for and see how well it stacks up against others in the same category. That way instead of having to check a dozen different sites for information, people would come to your site first to find out where the particular thing they need is.

To stay true to your original intent, you could also provide a place to host the files for anyone creating articles, code, and/or resources that don't have another web host.

I do hopefully want to gradually build up a site and have a lot of articles and info on game, and also yes a voting system, a bit like the BYOND 100 but different. The people can vote on certain aspects of the game such as Fun Factor, Graphics and a lot of other stuff. But yeah, would you support the site by submitting icons or code and visiting on a regular basis?
...PNGs!

Pong.

BMP is a waste of valuable space.

Yeah, this is probably the most important consideration that no one seems to grasp. A BMP is raw, uncompressed data (or extremely-poorly-compressed data if it's in RLE mode) which preserves your graphics exactly as they were created, but wastes so much space it's unbelievable.

A PNG, on the other hand, has several advantages:
- Excellent compression.
- Supports 8-bit colour, 16-bit colour, and 24-bit colour.
- Contains a full alpha channel (BYOND doesn't currently support PNGs' alpha channels, but it's there for whenever BYOND does).
- File format is supported by a huge number of people and any minor problems in the format are quickly dissolved.

...and only two drawbacks to my knowledge:
- Not supported in some graphics editors.
- Internet Explorer can't render alpha-channel PNGs properly (<small>gee, a Microsoft program not rendering graphics properly...? who'd've thunk it?</small>).
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
- Internet Explorer can't render alpha-channel PNGs properly (<small>gee, a Microsoft program not rendering graphics properly...? who'd've thunk it?</small>).

Internet Explorer actually can render PNGs properly. It just takes a lot of extra work for it to do so. You need to apply an image filter thing so that it'll render the image's alpha channel right.
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
Spuzzum wrote:

Internet Explorer actually can render PNGs properly. It just takes a lot of extra work for it to do so. You need to apply an image filter thing so that it'll render the image's alpha channel right.

You shouldnt have to do that. When the world starts using FireFox or Mozilla and making the sites according to the standerds,using CSS and making them validate the internet will be a whole lot more enjoyable.

http://www.stopie.com
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
Jon88 wrote:
Spuzzum wrote:

You shouldnt have to do that. When the world starts using FireFox or Mozilla and making the sites according to the standerds,using CSS and making them validate the internet will be a whole lot more enjoyable.

http://www.stopie.com

Stop going off topic here. ¬_¬
It's the Off Topic forum. ;-P
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
It's the Off Topic forum. ;-P

Make a new thread then, this thread is all about ME! ONLY ME, NOONE ELSE. ITS ALL ABOUT ME!!!!!