In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:
It doesnt matter if it is or isn't. I personally like to capitalize my stuff because it is easier to read from the rest of the text.

problem is that if you keep that habit, you'll learn quickly that current and future standards are such that *all* tags and their elements/properties are to be written in lowercase. and then you'll wonder why your website won't render in anything but the security swisscheese of the browser-world IE.
In response to digitalmouse
Well, I said I like it, not that I do it. I am normaly too lazy to capitalize stuff that doesn't need to be. In dm, the only time a capitalize a variable or proc is when it is two words like HitPoints or PhoneNumb or something to that effect.
and then you'll wonder why your website won't render in anything but the security swisscheese of the browser-world IE.

How is that a security issue or even an issue at all that IE intellegently interprets the tags regardless of case :P?

[edit] Oh no! Firefox is similiarly screwed up as it also will read in tags that aren't all in uppercases!
In response to Theodis
I think that was a side note. But I have went to sites with all cap html and it was fine on 3 gecko based browser and one textbased brower (elinks). I have never seen a problem with it, although some old browsers might be case sensitive, all modern browsers I have seen are not.
In response to Scoobert
Still is quite silly to attack IE for that fact despite every other browser I have used handles those non-standard cases as well. You'll probbaly have to look quite hard to find one that doesn't :P.
In response to Theodis
Its not that they won't render now, but that future browsers may not render cap'd tags. It's also a convention to use lowercase letters for HTML tags, just like time formats. You could put the time as MM:SS:HH, but its not conventional so people wouldn't understand it.
In response to Hazman
You could put the time as MM:SS:HH, but its not conventional so people wouldn't understand it.

Yes some people might not understand other formats but isn't it a good thing when they can :P?
In response to Theodis
Take the example of an instruction manual. Its written in a language you can't read. You could either a) Translate the manual by wither learning the language or getting a poor translation from an online thing or b) Have the manual-writers write in a language you understand in the first place.
Which would be easier? B. And whe the only difference between the two languages is capitalized tags, it seems pretty easy for the manual-writers as well.
In response to Hazman
You're missing my point. My point is how is more functionality a bad thing? Take an image editor that edits BMP files. Now lets say you also add in the ability to edit non-standard bitmaps as well as the standard ones. Is this image editor suddenly worse because it supports more formats :P?
In response to Theodis
I'm not saying it's good, just that it's conventional. I personally use cap'd tags, mainly out of habit but partly because most HTML books I read show tags capitalized.
digitalmouse wrote:
great blazes! please pass along my condolences to your class- they'd never get a job with that kind of HTML schooling. on a lark, they might consider boycotting the class, or atleast suing the school for improper/inadequate teaching methodology.
[snip]
that kind of crap teaching really irks me.

"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live." -Peter Cochrane

It irks me too, indefinitely much. But that's school. The curriculum decides what to teach, and to a small part the teachers amibiton.

But also remember that many students aren't nowhere as smart as Ryne, so they will actually struggle with that tiny html knowledge. Just mentioning CSS would be too much for them. Many times that knowledge gap that is the problem. There simply aren't enough resources to deal with it.

/Gazoot
In response to Ryne Rekab
Ryne Rekab wrote:
<HTML>
<HEAD><TITLE>My First Website!</TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="FF0000">
<P ALIGN="CENTER">Welcome to my web page!</P>
<P><FONT COLOR="000000>Yay, go me! 0.0</P>
</HTML>

That's about what they have been teaching us for like two weeks. Today we are currently learning to make GIF animations for our pages- just doesn't get much harder -.-'

-Ryan

Thats horrible. Caps, Un-Proper HTML syntax, no use of CSS, no divs to be seen. I hope they are teaching you the right break tag.
<br /> = good
<br> = bad

And whats worst is they are teaching you how to make your site bloated and crappy looking with horrid animations.

Are they making you hard code it or use a WYSIWYG editor?
In response to Gazoot
Gazoot wrote:
But also remember that many students aren't nowhere as smart as Ryne, so they will actually struggle with that tiny html knowledge. Just mentioning CSS would be too much for them. Many times that knowledge gap that is the problem. There simply aren't enough resources to deal with it.

/Gazoot

If that bit of HTML makes their brain boggle what the hell are they doing there? CSS is easy and simple to under stand.

Div's + CSS are easyer than tables for layouts. Its alot neater too.

Ryne, you really should slap your teacher and send them to http://www.w3.org and http://www.htmldog.com. Then after sending the students there all they have to do is sit back and relax.
In response to Smoko
If that bit of HTML makes their brain boggle what the hell are they doing there?

Learning. =P

CSS is easy and simple to under stand.

Brain surgery is easy and simple to understand.
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
If that bit of HTML makes their brain boggle what the hell are they doing there? CSS is easy and simple to under stand.

You haven't seen it during your school years? Students not knowing why 10 -(-5) = 15, or something similar? The logic just doesn't make sense for some people. Or maybe they're just lazy.

CSS is a bit more difficult to grasp in the beginning, especially when doing it right. And the actual teaching part doesn't make it easier. So it takes a lot of time to make a good CSS course, and maybe the teachers are lazy too.

/Gazoot
In response to YMIHere
YMIHere wrote:
Brain surgery is easy and simple to understand.

Brain Surgery is considered a major operation, so its not really that simple. Not any average person could do it.

Gazoot wrote:
CSS is a bit more difficult to grasp in the beginning, especially when doing it right. And the actual teaching part doesn't make it easier. So it takes a lot of time to make a good CSS course, and maybe the teachers are lazy too.

Its hard at the begining but it gets easy preety quickly. Unless you have to make hacks to make a decent site work in IE. I think its easier than learning to ride a bike with out training wheels.

And there are some great CSS guides at http://www.htmldog.com, so all the teacher has to do is read over it and then link the class to it. Thats all they basicly do for everything any way.
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
Brain Surgery is considered a major operation, so its not really that simple.

The point is, some people find some things easy to do, while others don't.

Not any average person could do it.

Besides going to school and learning how to do such a thing, what do you need? Steady hands? =P

In response to YMIHere
YMIHere wrote:
Besides going to school and learning how to do such a thing, what do you need? Steady hands? =P

It takes years of med school to be able to preform any operation. It takes acouple of days/weeks depending on who you are to make a decent looking web site with HTML and CSS
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
It takes years of med school to be able to preform any operation. It takes acouple of days/weeks depending on who you are to make a decent looking web site with HTML and CSS

No, it takes years of medical school before you are allowed to. Whether you are able to or not won't be known until you have some type of test. Anyway, going to school for a few years doesn't make someone an extrodinary person. I tend to think any average person can do any average job if they learn how. So it still takes school and steady hands. =P

How about rebuilding an engine as an anology, you can do it without taking any classes. Is it harder? Maybe for you. The point is, as I pointed out before, what's easy for one person may not be easy for others.
In response to Jamesburrow
Hey! Snakes is on cell phones now(Used to have it on PC a long time ago) and it's great =P Complexity doesn't always make a better game.
Page: 1 2 3