ID:276025

I had to go into Command Prompt on XP just to change the type on a file. This is stupid. Windows is supposed to be user friendly. I don't feel real friendly now <:(

-Ryan
The type on a file? Do you mean the extension of the filename?

If so, doing this will make your life a million times easier:

Open a Windows Explorer window, then go Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Turn off "Hide extensions for known file types". Click Apply. Rejoice.

I don't know why that setting even exists; it's absolutely ridiculous. The imbecile who thought that people should have file extensions hidden from them should be removed from the gene pool.

While you're there, choose to "Show hidden files and folders" and also turn off "Hide protected operating system files". I don't like it when my OS hides things from me. -_-
In response to Crispy
Thanks, I'll go play around with these =P

-Ryan
In response to Crispy
Ya, I hate it at school when I have a .gif, .png, and .jpg of the same image and I am trying to figure out which one is which, but I cant because I cant see the extention and they have blocked getting most any info on files. The sad thing is that our schools blockers hardly block anything that is bad, but blocks almost everything productive (like right-clicking!)
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
I don't know why that setting even exists; it's absolutely ridiculous. The imbecile who thought that people should have file extensions hidden from them should be removed from the gene pool.

While you're there, choose to "Show hidden files and folders" and also turn off "Hide protected operating system files". I don't like it when my OS hides things from me. -_-

I don't see windows as an OS anymore. It's more like a cheerful wrapper around a wide-open security hole. Or maybe a pet dog that looks so cute at first, but after a while it gets really fat, starts to dominate the household and suddenly attacks you when you least expect it.

/Gazoot
In response to Gazoot
Go linux!

I really think developers should get focused on linux, BTW, does BYOND have an actual LINUX CODER that makes the linux byond verson? or does dan and tom do it?
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
Go linux!

I really think developers should get focused on linux, BTW, does BYOND have an actual LINUX CODER that makes the linux byond verson? or does dan and tom do it?

What in the world is an "actual LINUX CODER?" If they know C, they know C. >_> BYOND isn't supported graphically in Linux not because the coders aren't good enough, it's because the graphics drawing routine is a Windows-only system.

~Polatrite~
In response to Gazoot
Gazoot wrote:
I don't see windows as an OS anymore. It's more like a cheerful wrapper around a wide-open security hole.

So sad... and yet so true!

I'm going to save that quote in my quotes file. =)
Ryne Rekab wrote:
I had to go into Command Prompt on XP just to change the type on a file. This is stupid. Windows is supposed to be user friendly. I don't feel real friendly now <:(

that's an example of it being user friendly.

the average user probably doesn't understand what file extensions are, and if they accidentally changed one, they probably wouldn't know what to do. silly windows being made for the average user. why would they design operating systems for the masses? that's just crazy.

i would imagine that there's an option to allow explorer to display file extensions, so that you can change the file extensions in explorer.