ID:276037

Does anyone know how to set some global variables with RealBasic? I'm have quite a bit trouble with this tutorial that uses some variables that they didn't define -.-'

-Ryan
Not sure really... try something like:

<code>Dim x as static Integer</code>

*shrugs* not much experience w/ BASIC

[EDIT]

Scrap mine, read Airjoe's post. I think that's right.

~Kujila
Public Dim VarName as Type

I'm not sure, I don't use real basic.
I love it so much. Coming from VB.NET, the runtime independence of RB in Windows and its cross platform nature make it a delight to develop with.

It's simplicity of VB but better, cheaper, and cross platform.

Plus I got it for free when they were giving out free license keys, which is always awesome =)

I'm using REALbasic 5.5, mind you, not that new one.

Still though, if you have any previous VB6/.NET knowledge, Realbasic shouldn't be very difficult for you to pick up.

If you get stuck on something that's different than your VB experiences, google it! =)

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
I don't follow...

Your first post says you don't know, but your second post makes it sound like you're knowledgable in the language. Which is it? If it is your baby and you use it and like it so much, how do you get far without knowing something as simple as is asked for here?

As for the original question, I'm not sure but I could take some guesses given some of the syntax information. Is it object-oriented? What would it look like to make a function and a local variable within it?
In response to Loduwijk
My first post was five months ago =/

See that thar' date?

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
bah- realbasic is for wusses...

[link]

ChipmunkBASIC rulez!

:p

In response to digitalmouse
=]

It says it's for Mac, and the only Windows binary says it's text-only =[

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
It says it's for Mac, and the only Windows binary says it's text-only =[

Exactly the opposite of BYOND. How irony! =) Must be karma.
In response to Kujila
and your point is?

it's BASIC! true BASIC does not have 'graphics' in the normal sense. ok, ok, true BASIC does not support OOP-concepts either. :p
Well Chipmunk BASIC isn't useful to me at all, then. =P

I like the rapid graphical development I can do with RB. =]

~Kujila
it's BASIC! true BASIC does not have 'graphics' in the normal sense. ok, ok, true BASIC does not support OOP-concepts either. :p

True BASIC :P? Were there any specifications of the language that prevented it from having graphics?

Well after looking around for the language specifications I can't find any official free digital documents on it :P. ANSI is nice and cheap at under 20$ and the ISO standards are at a pricey 53$.
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:
True BASIC :P? Were there any specifications of the language that prevented it from having graphics?

I seriously doubt it. =) As far as I can tell, BASIC has been able to use graphics ever since computer monitors were capable of displaying them. Even BASICA had graphics (I actually have a book on the subject that uses BASICA). Low-res graphics, with only 16 colours (if you were lucky), but graphics nonetheless. =)