In response to Lummox JR
So if 5 DBZ rips make it to the top 5, Thats permitted? If so, Thats totally bogus!

~>Jiskuha
In response to Jiskuha
Ah, but the sweetness of the system itself will lend such situations near improbable. I'm not saying that there will never be a DBZ game in the top 100 (I like LotDB and DBTC myself), but it will be unlikely that many will make the ranks, and those that do will probably be the creme de la creme of the DBZ fangames. Trust the BYOND staff, they've thought this through long and hard.

~X
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
Ah, but the sweetness of the system itself will lend such situations near improbable. I'm not saying that there will never be a DBZ game in the top 100 (I like LotDB and DBTC myself), but it will be unlikely that many will make the ranks, and those that do will probably be the creme de la creme of the DBZ fangames. Trust the BYOND staff, they've thought this through long and hard.

Yeah, indeed some DBZ games are certain to get up to the top rankings, because they're wide favorites. A few of those would probably be considered rips, just because there are so many out there that started out as Zeta clones. Zeta itself will likely be up there.

Overall I figure DBZ and other fangames will make up a good chunk of the top 100, as it should be. But they won't, I believe, be in the majority--also as it should be.

Lummox JR
In response to GoodDoggyTreat
I'm glad to see that other people share the same feelings as me about fan games! It's easy to call a game the best because many people play it, but how much does that have to do with the game itself, and how much is it merely because they allow fans to join the worlds they love? Choosing the most popular games should be less narrow-minded than that.
In response to GoodDoggyTreat
GoodDoggyTreat wrote:
That Naruto Online game and DBZ game things are fan-games, not original games with decent gameplay </flame> (I know mods, I know. :/)

Anyway on topic, this is from an admin's eyes, most popular doesn't mean the top ranked. For example, many would use Microsoft Windows XP, but I'm sure that Linux, OpenBSD and other *nixes are rated much higher in the food chain.

The current rankings came partly from admins, but bear in mind they're subject to change. We're part of the pilot group involved in this. Hence you don't see a lot of the fan games or such that clog up the live listings. As more people start choosing their favorites, though, you'll see a lot more diversity in the types of games ranked at the top.

And I do mean diversity. It's not going to get clogged with almost all fan games like the live list. Most fan games are poor attempts at anything and have very little following, and only a few have enough draw and staying power to make it to, say, the top 100. There will be fan games there, of that I'm certain, but they won't choke the list. So we'll have a very nice selection of the best games featured, including the best fan games, which should please a lot of people.

Lummox JR
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
Ah, but the sweetness of the system itself will lend such situations near improbable.

I keep reading similar comments about how they won't get up to the top ranks because of shear numbers, but I was wondering, how? When you try to rank a game do you have to type out a very long, well though-out, and spelling error free reason? Because I don't think I could do that myself x_x
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
Xooxer wrote:
Ah, but the sweetness of the system itself will lend such situations near improbable.

I keep reading similar comments about how they won't get up to the top ranks because of shear numbers, but I was wondering, how? When you try to rank a game do you have to type out a very long, well though-out, and spelling error free reason? Because I don't think I could do that myself x_x

All will be revealed soon....

~X
I agree, if people vote for a fangame based on their liking to what it's modeling instead of the game, that's just wrong! I myself own a fangame, and I would be disappointed in my players if they voted based on their likeness to the series and not their likeness to the gameplay. Hopefully this won't/can't happen though.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Overall I figure DBZ and other fangames will make up a good chunk of the top 100, as it should be. But they won't, I believe, be in the majority--also as it should be.

The top ranking overall probably will have a lot of fan games, but it will also be the least interesting statistic to most people. We'll put in place ways to see the top games in various channels, so if you are most interested in Puzzle games, for example, you'll be able to see the most-liked Puzzle games.
In response to Jiskuha
Jiskuha wrote:
So if 5 DBZ rips make it to the top 5, Thats permitted? If so, Thats totally bogus!

Permitted, but not very likely. The ranking system works on a pretty effective voting method called the Borda count. Search "Borda" on BYONDscape for details if you're curious. :)
Page: 1 2