ID:276109

Hey, well ill get right to it. My computer recently crashed as one of the windows files became corrupted, it displayed an error that it could not find hal.dll on boot. Seems the boot.ini file was either deleted or corrupted. I suspected a virus. Anyhow, so i took my case off in order to connect a floppy drive (Suprisingly it didnt have one) so i could run a boot disc. But i managed to find my Windows XP CD, and thought running the recovery console on that may fix it. But knowing my luck, along came another error. On boot i get an error "strike F1 to retry reboot or F2 for utility setup", so i go ahead with recovery console anyway. Guess what, it seems that it cant see my hard drive or doesnt seem to know i have it anymore. Therefor, i am pretty much screwed and need possible solutions to fix this problem.

Im running a Dell and it seems to be a common problem with these, Maxter hard drive also seems to be a common cause. I have all my BIOS settings set to "Auto" for detecting the hard drive and i have only changed the Boot Sequence so help would be appreciated from any hard core computer techs.
Dude, your getting a Dell! Doesn't Dell have 24 hour support? I used to have a Dell it did the same thing so I threw it away, and got a new HP. =)
In response to Digital Samurai
Im too lazy to ring the support line, and from what ive heard they make you spend hours on hold only till you find out later that they've disconnected you. Im just wondering if anyone knows a solution since i really hope my HD isnt dead.