In response to Jaredoggy
Jaredoggy wrote:
Yeah if BYOND has been costing Tom 60,000 dollars a year, he's either rich as crap and doesn't care about money too much, or BYOND has put him in debt by several hundred thousand dollars over the years.

I'd go with the theory that the 5,000 dollar a month figure is unfounded.

So do I. Exactly what could make BYOND cost that much?
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
it costs Tom & Friends more than $5,000 a month to keep BYOND up

digitalmouse said Tom said $400/month (id:363362). =P
In response to Wizkidd0123
Yeah, more like $5000 a year.
In response to Artekia
Yeah....
Where did Xooxer come up with 5000 a month?
In response to SSJ Radditz
SSJ Radditz wrote:
Oh, and might I ask what stocks you're invested in? Sorry, I'm just a little curious about stocks and investing because, like I mentioned earlier, I'll be coming into a good amount of money and I'd like to invest it.

Be careful. If you don't know what you're doing it's a really easy way to throw away some money.
While getting the hang of it I recommend saving up $X and using it. Then when you do end up selling put the same amount back in. Then do what ever you want with the left over money.
This way you'll get used to it without ever really putting yourself in any sort of financial danger.

If you don't follow me here's an example.
I save up $500 for my initial investment. I buy so many shares, but they do really poorly and I end up bailing out and only getting $250 back.
I then save up $250 (putting me back at my initial $500) and go back in. I buy a bunch more and this time they do good, really good, and I end up selling and getting $1,200 back.
I take $500 of that $1,200 and put it back in. I can then do what ever I want with the left over $700. I could even choose to up the ante and put in an extra $250 in the next round.

So I'm only ever going to loose $500, which can easily be saved up again. When I do good I get a few new games. Even if it's constantly balancing out (loose $100 here and gain a $100 there) I'm still learning a lot and I'm never in a bad position.
In response to DarkView
That sounds like good advice. Considering I was also thinking of investing, I'll print that out and keep it somewhere handy.
In response to Jamesburrow
You'll never get rich doing it, but it'll get you used to watching your shares, finding, following and predicting trends and allow you to make stupid mistakes without loosing your house.
Another piece of advice... something that many small investors forget: buy low, sell high. Sounds obvious, but so many people end up seeing a stock that just went up a lot... buy it (at the now high price)... and then when it starts to go down, they panic and they sell (at a low price.)

Don't base your buying and selling on what the stock price just did. Look at the company itself. Buy stock in a company that's likely to perform well over the long run... after all, you're investing, not gambling.

For every day trader who makes a good living buying and selling based on day-to-day fluctuations, there's a thousand other people who are just throwing money away.

And remember the easy way to make a million dollars in the commodities market: start out with two milion. :P
In response to Hedgemistress
Hedgemistress wrote:
Another piece of advice... something that many small investors forget: buy low, sell high.

Which inspires yet another piece of advice; don't buy too low. A lot of people buy massive amounts of the lowest priced shares they can find thinking 'oh man, this is going to pay off so much when they go up, I can't loose!'.
It's true you'll be able to afford a heap of them and if they go up even just a little you'll make a sizable wad of cash, but that works in reverse as well and they're a lot more likily to go down than up.

I wonder if I could make a DimeExchange game...
Lexy is 100% correct...

Another important rule is to never follow anyone else's advice too closely... Especially not the guys on TV (like on CNBC) that are trying to tell you what to buy and what to sell...

If those guys knew everything, and could do it without fail, do you think they'd be on TV? Heck no! They'd be filthy rich by following their own advice... So obviously, they don't know everything...

Now this doesn't mean that none of them know what's going on... You can listen to much of what they say and trust that it's based on some good experience, and lots of researched data and knowledge of the system... But just don't blindly follow their every word, because, again, they're obviously not that perfect at the game...

Investing hinges very strongly on psychology... You have to predict what others will do based on existing data... In order to make money from investing, you have to get in the minds of other investors, and make the decisions they're likely to make, before they make them...

So, you need to understand the "rules" most of them follow, and apply them to the lots and lots of research you'll need to be doing...

For instance, a basic rule is that if a company is making a profit, their stock looks good to investors, and many of them will want to buy it... You need to get in on that before everyone else does, so you can ride their demand to higher share prices...

But there are FAR more factors to weigh in this... A company might be making a profit, but perhaps it's not that high of a margin... Maybe they're in a sector with a LOT of competition... Perhaps they're making a TON of money, but their stock prices are already overvalued... Perhaps there are rumors of a merger, or a change in the executive positions... Maybe there are rumors of a new product launch... So on and so on... All of these things influence whether or not investors will want to buy a stock, and you'll need to watch them all, and understand the most likely outcomes...
In response to DarkView
Man, if yall programmers want to make some mad cash yall should try a 'BYOND Casinio', I mean its a gambling situation for both sides, they donaite money to you to add to there account and when they win it adds to there total which im sure you can find a way to secure, I mean think about the odds :P i can see it now

<dream>
FLOATS IN MONEY MWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAAHAHHAH
</dream>
In response to Cheetoz
I thought about it during the BYONDime days. The problem is there are lots of laws regaurding this sort of stuff.
You can't get around it by selling in-game money, letting them gamble that money in-game, then buy back in-game money.
In response to DarkView
Which allows the host/creator to cheat and make hundreds of dollars.
In response to DarkView
More importantly, don't put all your eggs in the same basket. Make sure your stocks are in varied places, spanning many diffrent types of businesses. My family alone lost about $3,000 when Lucent Technologys stock dropped a few years back(My mom worked there, had about $5,000 or so in stock, it dropped, and it dropped a lot!).

Just a small warning.
In response to Strawgate
And get prosecuted for fraud. :P While the states could care less about whose infringing on whose unregistered copyright for poorly drawn icons, most law enforcement agencies have well-established task forces for dealing with gambling scams and numbers rackets.
Jon Snow wrote:
Secondly, my stocks recently jumped and one of them I might be selling soon... I am planning on buying 2 people memberships and was wondering who wanted them the most.

Just got my computer and hooked it up today, so now's about the first chance I've had to respond. Anyways,

I'd love to have one! Being 15(almost 16!) with stingy parents, as far as money and paypal are concerned, makes it really hard to get one myself. And it's such an annoying process to send out snail mail.

Tell you what: If you help me out here, I promise to be more productive to the BYOND community

Hiead
In response to SSJ Radditz
I actually invested in a few airlines that were extremely low (almost bankrupt) when 9/11 hit and it was considered to be at it's "peak". The airlines I invested in jsut started bouncing back to their normal price range now.
it's not a horrible idea to put them all in one basket if you don't have a lot of money. Typically you will be charged a fee for each group of stocks you buy, so what I do (since I Only invist 150-350 per stock group) is I pick the top 3 investment opportunities.

So far these are the real sellers:

Gamestop is going to be huge, they just bought EB Games and control now approximately 70% of the preowned games market. Also, this november xbox 360 comes out which can't do nothing but good to the company as they don't lose money on it like microsoft does. Not only that but during christmas sales are up, and lots of new games come out. This is your best bet if you have over 500 or so dollars to spend because the shares are around 35 dollars each right now.

[MESA] airlines is another good one, as they've been down (around 6 dollars) and just recently started climbing due to purchases of more air travel locations and planes. I can't predict how much longer it's going to climb, but if it drops even a little it'll pick it up + more at christmas. Right now it's at 8.50. I personally would keep an eye on this one and check out how it's doing during september/october because that's typically when the airlines drop and then they rise around thanksgiving and keep rising until about late january early february.

Another risky adventure (if you like risky) is payless shoesource. I work there and the new management is really doing wonders for the company. They were at $10 a share early this year, and they're at 20 now. They always drop around February to really low amounts, same goes for around october they drop a lot... then pick up for the christmas and back to school seasons.

Oil companies are a GREAT investment if you are willing to do a lot of research. In fact, I don't know companiesthat has made more money then oil companies (ones that are searching for oil) because typically they statr out for as low as 20 cents a share and when they hit oil jump up to sometimes even 10-15 dollars a share. Although this is very risky as they might not hit oil, it's also a very easy way to make money if you think a bout it (you only have to invest 100 dollars and you can turn it into 800). I wouldn't actually go into this unless you have someone who knows what they're doing with stocks, since you can easily lose the money as well.
Hedgemistress wrote:
And get prosecuted for fraud. :P While the states could care less about whose infringing on whose unregistered copyright for poorly drawn icons, most law enforcement agencies have well-established task forces for dealing with gambling scams and numbers rackets.

Just cause its illegal, doesnt mean someone wont do it.
In response to Wizkidd0123
400 seems extremely cheap (as I know a guild wars fansite spends well over a thousand for their bandwidth). Is it really only 400?
Page: 1 2 3