In response to Leftley
Leftley wrote:
So long as we're living in a crazy fantasy land where we can generate wealth without actually having to produce anything, we might as well just fire up the mint and print off a hundred billion dollars to give to each man, woman, and child in the U.S. We'll all be gazillionaires!

I dunno about that, Leftley... I'm sure if you took Bill Gates' salary and divided it up among the rest of the nation you could easily triple the minimum wage- then, nationalise all industry and prohibt the right to vote; job done!
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
What? So people that are out of a job should just give up and die? Old people should just give up and die?

Of course not.

Because that's what you're suggesting. Get rid of welfare, you'll kill thousands of people. Just for the glory of 'the economy'.

I am suggesting no such thing, and that's not what would happen. Since there are so many people dependent on it at the moment, obviously I wouldn't suggest just ripping it out of the picture all at once.

Here's a suggestion: Cut defence spending in half, (Getting rid of a significant proportion of your army in the process - you don't need that many people in this day and age), and put that 150 billion dollars you've freeded up into health, education, and welfare, in roughly equal proportions. With that money, provide a system for government-supported healthcare and education, that is as close to completely free as you can get. Triple the minimum wage. Also, the minimum wage should not take into account tips for people like waiters - they should get the same minimum wage as anyone else.

Better suggestion: Cut the defense spending in half, and then cut the welfare in half as well. Then cut taxes in half.

Of course, I said I didn't want to go into this. I might if that's what the topic was about, but of course we won't have a topic about that since such a topic would be deleted before it got off the ground.

I will say one thing though: not only do the majority of people who get welfare not need it at all, but they also abuse it as well. I see people on welfare go through the checkout all the time with large bags of clams and piles of expensive meat cuts and all the best stuff. Supposedly they are the one that needs help, but I'm not on welfare and I can't afford any of that.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
I will say one thing though: not only do the majority of people who get welfare not need it at all, but they also abuse it as well.

If you're right that means the system is flawed not the concept.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
You're just being ridiculous. America's economy is horribly skewed towards the rich at the moment.

I'm being realistic. It's like you said: it's very, very simple. There are, at this moment, a number of companies in debt and losing money. What do you suppose happen to a company on the brink of collapse when you increase its payroll costs by 150-250%, as you suggested (you said "triple", but then, most of the workforce is above minimum wage to begin with)? Helloooo, bankruptcy! Instead of making low money, you now have hundreds of thousands to millions of workers who are now making no money because their jobs just poofed. On top of that, each of those companies that just went bankrupt was previously doing business with other companies--suppliers, distributors, etc. All of these companies they were doing business with take their own hit from the payroll increase and at the same time lose all the volume of business they were doing with those companies that went under as a result of the wage hike. Some of these companies will go bankrupt themselves in a cascade effect; those that are still standing will be very poorly off between the higher costs and lower profits. If they want to remain in business at all, they have to drastically reduce costs and increase profits; production goes down, workers get laid off, prices go up. Those people that still have jobs at all are able to buy less, even if they do make more money--and many of them won't be making more money, because many of those that hold onto their jobs will be skilled professionals that were already making salaries above $32,000 and would not see any increase. If anything, they'd probably get pay cuts from companies desperate to try to recover some vague semblance of profitability.

That said, this is an extreme scenario for an extreme suggestion ($15.50+/hr minimum wage). Yes, we're overdue for another dollar or so, but in the end the minimum wage itself is a stopgap measure. It's there to help patch things over when and where the economy starts to get kind of shaky, but in the long run it's of rather dubious effectiveness. The only way to increase the actual standard of living is to increase production and increase employment. Not only do minimum wage hikes fail to accomplish either, they generally cause a slowing or even decrease in the number of jobs (and by extension production). That said, yeah, we are about due, but ramping up the minimum wage is only going to do any good in the long run if it's coupled with policies that can create enough business growth to sustain the new, higher wage level.

America's economy is horribly skewed towards the rich at the moment.

Yeah, uh. You know when you suggested we move to a "real sliding scale" with our taxes, where the low end pays about 5% and the high end pays about 30%? Right now most of the people at the low end pay 0%. The high end often pays 50%+. So while it is skewed towards the rich (which is kind of a "DUH", since being rich is defined as running on the high end of the economy), your perceptions of the skew are themselves rather skewed.
In response to Leftley
I pay nearly %30 and I only make $10 an hour. Plus the 7% sales tax on everything I buy. So I am paying about 37% tax, and so are the rich. I am far from rich, in fact, I could hardly live on my wages. Now granted, the largest portion of that is state tax, but in this case the national government should step in.

I can't figure out where my 30% is going. I just got out of the school systems, they are so broke they can't afford paper for worksheets. I drive on the roads every day, and they are horrible. The police force doesn't service the rough parts of town, because they don't have enough force to do much.

Whats more, the local big city (Charlotte) is one county over, but when they chose to build a new stadium for the Bobcats, we helped pay for it. Also, our county has the "Lowe's Motor Speedway" one of the biggest speedways in NASCAR, and "Concord Mills", one of the biggest malls on the East Coast, that brings in a lot of tax money.

Perhaps in some areas, the lower end is only getting charged 5%, but not in this area. My mom, who makes about 2.5 times more than me, pays almost the same percentage in taxes. I am telling you, at least in this state, your perception is wrong.
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:
I dunno about that, Leftley... I'm sure if you took Bill Gates' salary and divided it up among the rest of the nation you could easily triple the minimum wage- then, nationalise all industry and prohibt the right to vote; job done!

Just for fun, I decided to check this out.

According to this site, Bill Gates's actual salary is "only" $865,114 USD a year. (This was in 2003 so it's a bit out of date, but close enough. Also note that he makes a lot more money than that out of stock options and shares and so on.)

The population of the US is approximately 295,734,134

Some quick division gives $0.0029 per US citizen. So if Bill Gates split his entire salary among the rest of the USA, each person would get just under a third of a cent per year.

So not quite triple the United States' minimum wage. Pretty close though. ;-D

If he gave away all of his current wealth, according to this site everyone would score a once-off payment of $92.14. Wahey!
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
The minimum wage in America is ridiculously low, currently. $5.15 an hour, according to wikipedia.

a good example of an 'average' perhaps, but not the situation on the ground, as it were. back in the early 90's i was making $7/hour in Atlanta. of course times have changed, and now i make about $40/hour (granted i work a few less hours too).
I'd personally wager that the publicity GTA gets for this stuff actually increases sales. So much for a boycott.

Hiead
In response to digitalmouse
You guys really know how to hijack a thread.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:
I am telling you, at least in this state, your perception is wrong.

And in many states he is right, including mine. I get almost all the money taken out for taxes back afterwords, and so do many of the people I know.

The recent minimum wage hike for NY (It went up more than half a dollar) has done nothing but hurt us. Especially those of us that it was supposedly supposed to help. I made a bit over minimum, but minimum wage was increased to slightly more than what I make, bringing me back down to minimum wage.

Either way, all the prices of everything around here went up, and our buying power is no more than what it was before. Heck, even the scraps my workplace was practically giving away for free (sale on sleds they wanted to get rid of, $1-2 apiece), they raised the prices on. They can't afford to be nice anymore. They are also cutting back on ordering dough, so the bakery in the building has less extra stuff to give away to charity.
In response to Leftley
Leftley wrote:
Jp wrote:
Triple the minimum wage.

So long as we're living in a crazy fantasy land where we can generate wealth without actually having to produce anything, we might as well just fire up the mint and print off a hundred billion dollars to give to each man, woman, and child in the U.S. We'll all be gazillionaires!

Isn't it like that now? I read that we don't have nearly the ammount of gold we would need to actully back up our currency as it stands right now.
If they take out the killing of prostitutes, they might as well take out the killing of races other than caucasians, females, and senior citizens. These people's ignorance is what causes this crap. It's not violence against prostitutes, it's a violent game in general.

If I had my way, I'd make it more realistic and put children in there too.
In response to Kunark
It's the players that choose to kill the prostitutes, the game doesn't influence it in any way nor does it encourage it so blaming the game is stupid, blame the player.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
The minimum wage in America is ridiculously low, currently. $5.15 an hour, according to wikipedia. Assuming a 40 hour work week, that's $206 a week.

Australia has a minimum wage of $484.4 a week, which is US$ 362. You would have to work 70 hours a week to match that in the US, at the minimum wage.

You're just being ridiculous. America's economy is horribly skewed towards the rich at the moment.

EDIT: Hell, I get paid at the rate of $9.5 AUD an hour, which is about $7.125 US an hour. I am 16, working in a supermarket as a checkout chick, and I get paid more then someone on the minimum wage in America. That is nuts. It's insane.

Someone needs to update wikipedia :P. anyway The minimum wage in NY is now $6.75 per hour. At sixteen I made $8hr for my first job.
In response to Leftley
Leftley wrote:
What they do is controversial because of what other people believe.

Thanks for the clarification, Captian Obvious! Wait, doesn't a difference of opinion equate controversy precisely?
In response to PirateHead
PirateHead wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, Captian Obvious!

Quite welcome, citizen! I know how much difficulty mere men may have with such sticky issues, which is why it is my sworn duty to provide the powers of clarity given to me by fantastic forces from beyond the stars. Captain Obvious, away!
In response to Leftley
Leftley wrote:
Quite welcome, citizen! I know how much difficulty mere men may have with such sticky issues, which is why it is my sworn duty to provide the powers of clarity given to me by fantastic forces from beyond the stars. Captain Obvious, away!

*playing of silly fanfare music as Captain Obvious departs*
In response to Game sabre
Game sabre wrote:
It's the players that choose to kill the prostitutes, the game doesn't influence it in any way nor does it encourage it so blaming the game is stupid, blame the player.

Exactly. It gives you the opportunity to kill them, just like in real life. I think prostitutes should ban life.
In response to Shades
Actually, the money system was changed so that the value of gold is variable and dependent on the amount of money in circulation. By the very nature of the system, there is always exactly enough gold to back all the money.

Of course, this is a silly setup which gives gold a level of worth that is arbitrary and not truely accurate, but that's the way it is.
In response to Kunark
If they take out the killing of prostitutes, they might as well take out the killing of races other than caucasians, females, and senior citizens.

Heh... that controversy came up with GTA: Vice City. One mission, pitting you against a gang called the Haitians, urges you "Kill all the Haitians!" Some real-life Haitians interpreted this as an incitement to genocide.

But they sounded the warning too late, and now there are no Haitians left anymore.
Page: 1 2 3