In response to Danial.Beta
yup- used windcfg to force native for the richedit dlls, and then tried manually using WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ole32,oleaut32,rpcrt4,riched20,riched32=n" wine bin/byond.exe.

the pager comes up ok, but DS crashes.

any other dlls you have that are forced native?
In response to digitalmouse
Nope, just riched20.dll. I played with it for a while before finially getting it, not sure what triggered it. Do you have the font installed? That could be a problem. Also, try compiling a Hello world test from DM and seeing if it will run.
um, is anyone else getting this pop-up:

?

If you aren't you'll need to download the ActiveX control manually from wine's site. I get the pop-up on Mandrake and Gentoo but not on SUSE or MEPIS.
In response to Talion Knight
I got that to come up. All I can tell is that I installed Mozilla Suite and then the Mozilla ActiveX control, then ran the Pager. It worked. I am currently playing with it. LRS crashes me, but it might be a font issue, I am going to toy around with it some more.

[edit] Seems the problem is the built in browser. Popups are fine, but the browser tab crashes it.

X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 53 (X_CreatePixmap)
Serial number of failed request: 5349
Current serial number in output stream: 5382

Is the error I get, I also get a bunch of these while DS is running, they can probably be ignored safely:

fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__fsopen :(c:\windows\profiles\danial\Application Data\BYOND\cache\byond.rsc.lk,r,32),ignoring share mode!

Not sure what that means, but MSVCRT is a dll I believe.
Danial.Beta wrote:
I also get a bunch of these while DS is running, they can probably be ignored safely:

> fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__fsopen :(c:\windows\profiles\danial\Application Data\BYOND\cache\byond.rsc.lk,r,32),ignoring share mode!
>

Not sure what that means, but MSVCRT is a dll I believe.

The Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime DLL, to be exact. =) (I think I got that acronym right...)

The _fsopen function opens a file, and controls simultaneous access permissions for other processes (that is, whether other files are allowed to read or write the file while BYOND has it). The last argument (which controls these sharing permissions) is 32, which corresponds to the _SH_DENYWR constant; so BYOND is trying to deny other processes the ability to write to the file, and Wine is just warning that it can't stop them from doing so. Possibly because Linux doesn't have that kind of protection available.

In case you're wondering, I did have to look all of that up. =P And yes, it can be safely ignored.
*BUMP*

A month and ten days after the last post in this thread, I find it...

Anyways... I can load up BYOND just fine(341), but I can't get it to load my key... I get an error, "Can't load roving Key"... Any suggestions?
In response to Izzy84075
Izzy84075 wrote:
Anyways... I can load up BYOND just fine(341), but I can't get it to load my key... I get an error, "Can't load roving Key"... Any suggestions?

Forum search it. Roving key.
In response to Izzy84075
delete key.txt which can be found at /home/[name]/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/[name]/BYOND

There's still quite a few things untested on the WINE side when using 341.
Could someone zip up WINE with BYOND preinstalled and fully working? That would save alot of people alot of time going around and installing wine tools and junk.
In response to Elation
BYOND 3.5 doesn't have that problem.

I was using Ubuntu Linux, and after reading up for a while I found out why some of us are having problems with playing BYOND on it.

Wine version 0.9.18 and up have a messed up internet explorer. It is my belief that's the reason for BYOND's crashes, because HTML rendering will get disabled. Since BYOND's "text" window is based on Internet Explorer... how is it supposed to run when there's no working IE?

I would suggest getting Wine version 0.9.17 and lower. I haven't tested this myself, but according to forum topics I've been reading, no one had problems with Internet Explorer -until- version 0.9.18.

I've got my Windows install fixed now, so I'll just use Windows instead of Linux.
In response to Stari
Not quite, the text window is a control called 'RichEdit', it has nothing to do with IE.
In response to Nadrew
The richedit20.dll was working fine for me though, and so was internet explorer in 0.9.5. It wasn't until I updated to 0.9.20 I started having problems. 0.9.5 on it's own though will not run BYOND. I'm hosting Console now, so I can't go back to Ubuntu and test my own theory. But I bet it would work.
In response to Stari
BYOND uses an older version of the RichEdit control (not version 2.0, which richedit20.dll is). Last I heard, Wine's emulation of this old version of RichEdit was very buggy.
In response to Stari
Stari wrote:
BYOND 3.5 doesn't have that problem.

I was using Ubuntu Linux, and after reading up for a while I found out why some of us are having problems with playing BYOND on it.

Wine version 0.9.18 and up have a messed up internet explorer. It is my belief that's the reason for BYOND's crashes, because HTML rendering will get disabled. Since BYOND's "text" window is based on Internet Explorer... how is it supposed to run when there's no working IE?

I would suggest getting Wine version 0.9.17 and lower. I haven't tested this myself, but according to forum topics I've been reading, no one had problems with Internet Explorer -until- version 0.9.18.

I've got my Windows install fixed now, so I'll just use Windows instead of Linux.

Plenty of people had problems with IE before 0.9.18 - it uses DCOM98 which you have to install yourself (via WINE,Win4Lin or CrossOver). WINE will load BYOND fine if you have it's default font installed. Using it with WINE-0.9.16+ merely requires a single DLL override(riched20.dll).

EDIT: Forgot to mention WINE uses the Mozilla Active X Program to natively emulate an IE-like engine for programs that require it. Though if you have a licensed copy of Windows98 or higher you can install IE using the script found here.
Page: 1 2 3